Is Barnes the best coach EVER at UT?

Coach Barnes has done a nice job as the coach here. However, he has no banners hanging from the rafters at TBA. Meaning, nothing is hanging up there from the SEC. And there’s nothing from the NCAA hanging up there.

Actually “2019” has been added to NCAAT Sweet 16 banner and “2018” has been added to the conference champions banner.

Barnes has a Final Four. TN has zero.

TN has one Elite Eight. Barnes has 2.

Barnes has 7 Sweet 16s. TN has 8.

Actually “2019” has been added to NCAAT Sweet 16 banner and “2018” has been added to the conference champions banner.

Barnes has a Final Four. TN has zero.

TN has one Elite Eight. Barnes has 2.

Barnes has 7 Sweet 16s. TN has 8.[/QUOTE

I thought LSU was the 2018 regular season champions? And Auburn won the tournament that year. That’s what’s showing on on the SEC page in Birmingham.

I thought LSU was the 2018 regular season champions? And Auburn won the tournament that year. That’s what’s showing on on the SEC page in Birmingham.

TN and Auburn tied for the 2018 SEC regular season championship. TN wins it outright if LSU didn’t have an LSU fan officiating the TN v LSU game.

Have you even looked at the 2018 regular season stats for that year? LSU is 16-2. Both UT & UK are are tied for 2nd at 15-3 each. And Auburn and USC are both tied at 4th at 11-7 sec records. Not sure where your getting your stats for that year in the SEC?

UT was co-champions in the regular season in 2018. Auburn just got the one seed for the SECT because of the tiebreaker. Because of unbalanced schedules, both are recognized as champions.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Have you even looked at the 2018 regular season stats for that year? LSU is 16-2. Both UT & UK are are tied for 2nd at 15-3 each. And Auburn and USC are both tied at 4th at 11-7 sec records. Not sure where your getting your stats for that year in the SEC?

That’s 2018-2019. Season ended in 2019.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I’m confused. Tell me what year Tenn. was co conference champions, with Barnes as the coach?

I’m confused. Tell me what year Tenn. was co conference champions, with Barnes as the coach?
Tennessee was co conference champions in the 2017-18 season, with Auburn. I think TGO misspoke talking about LSU, what he meant was that we’d have also been conference champions (this time undisputed) in 2018-19 had we not lost at LSU with an LSU fan as a referee (Anthony Jordan was his name I believe if you want to google)

Tennessee was co conference champions in the 2017-18 season, with Auburn. I think TGO misspoke talking about LSU, what he meant was that we’d have also been conference champions (this time undisputed) in 2018-19 had we not lost at LSU with an LSU fan as a referee (Anthony Jordan was his name I believe if you want to google)

Yes. 2 years ago. I’m still in 2020. Without the biased ref TN ties LSU for another championship in 2019.

Reactions: SWS22
Yes. 2 years ago. I’m still in 2020. Without the biased ref TN ties LSU for another championship in 2019.
Gotcha, I must have misread it, thought you were saying the biased ref incident took place in the 2017-18 season. But without the biased ref incident, we win in outright in 2018-19, not tying LSU, because LSU gets a third loss and we’d have just two

Reactions: SWS22
Gotcha, I must have misread it, thought you were saying the biased ref incident took place in the 2017-18 season. But without the biased ref incident, we win in outright in 2018-19, not tying LSU, because LSU gets a third loss and we’d have just two

Yes, you’re right. We’d be 16-2 instead of 15-3 and LSU would be 15-3 instead of 16-2. We should be outright champs in 2019. Where is that crooked ref these days?

I did mix my years up. 2018 still seems like 2 years ago

Reactions: SWS22 and Vol49er
Yes, you’re right. We’d be 16-2 instead of 15-3 and LSU would be 15-3 instead of 16-2. We should be outright champs in 2019. Where is that crooked ref these days?

I did mix my years up. 2018 still seems like 2 years ago
Not sure. If memory serves he was allowed to continue officiating in the SEC but wouldn’t be doing any more LSU or UT games

Any sport?

Look at how he has rebuilt men's basketball. Started by bringing in "diamond in the rough" 2 and 3 star players who were eager to learn and improve. He took some heat from the fan base his first 2 years. Some ignorantly saying he didn't care as much now and was coasting into retirement.

By 2019 that base of players had UT at no. 1 in the rankings for a period of time longer than anyone in recent seasons. Indicative of a head coach AND his staff having top shelf coaching and player development skills. Especially true of our team identity: DEFENSE

2021: those "diamond in the rough" types, unfortunately, only get mop-up time

This might be our most basketball skilled roster ever. Mid 70s rosters had those too. We have more now plus Barnes. I loved Mears. Great coach
Fun teams with a flair! Barnes is in another level of great.

Maybe Summitt. Maybe Broussard. Not Dickey, Majors or Fulmer
Don Devie was an exceptional coach,as was Ray Mears

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Barnes puts an upper limit on his teams by focusing so much on defense. Defense is fine but most play basketball for their enjoyment from scoring and shooting.

It's an offensive game first and foremost. Focusing so much on defense removes much of the fun and enjoyment from the game.

Pearl was/is always looking for ways to score more points. He has a wide open view of the game.

Barnes appears to have a much more fenced in, constrained view of the game.

VN Store

Back