The Official #7 Tennessee vs. Alabama Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, ESPN2

Really wish EJ, Olivier, Gaines or Walker would push for minutes.

The drop off from Fulky/Pons is huge man. I hope Barnes can land a legit big, I know they are pushing for BHH to reclassify that would be HUGE.

I think Pember is a solid project player but will be shocked if he starts to get minutes before his 3rd/4th year.

Gonzaga, Baylor and Iowa look like they are on a tier above everyone else. After that we've played as well as anyone and I'd have us in a group with Kansas, Villanova and Wisconsin. I like that we play strong defense, we played awful on offense tonight after losing one of our most dependable scorers early and we were still only down 6 with 3 minutes to go.
And many forget we have played less games than almost anyone

Reactions: feathersax
A lot coaches, CRB included, sit players the entire 1st half when they pick up a 2nd foul. I've never understood that - especially if it's an indispensable player like Pons. And Pons doesn't foul that often anyway. The bigger risk was playing without him for SO long.

A lot coaches, CRB included, sit players the entire 1st half when they pick up a 2nd foul. I've never understood that - especially if it's an indispensable player like Pons. And Pons doesn't foul that often anyway. The bigger risk was playing without him for SO long.
Well, Pons did get his 3rd foul, 17 seconds into the 2nd half, so probably a good decision by Barnes

I mean it's basketball, I expect even an elite final four team to have 3-5 losses.

It's better it happens now, rather than during the tournament. I definitely think these guys getting to play a flare five offense (or whatever Dykes was calling it) where there's no one in the paint until someone drives will be a benefit to them moving forward. I just hope Springer's injury isn't major and they were being cautious with him not returning in the 2nd half.

Anyone saying Vescovi isn't a solid player doesn't know the game. He is super young and has some limitations athletically but is a creative passer, makes some good floater on ball fakes, is a great set shooter and rebounds well for his size. His defense has improved this year too. Very solid college player that is a bit of a tweeter but will have a long pro career overseas after leaving UT as one of our better all-time assist and 3 point shot leaders and will be in the 1000 point club.

Heck, he might even exceed all that once he gets more experience and practice. The kid is young.
Vescovi did not lose the game tonight. Our offense was cold as ice, Ponds got in early foul trouble, defense could not defend the 3, Johnson had problems handling the ball, shooting, and slid all over the floor, Fulkerson missed at least 5 foul shots, Springer injured his ankle, and we shot 4 for 19 from the 3 and did not get blown out. We will improve is all areas of the game. It may be a blessing to get a loss now and it will help refocus the team and coaches.

Very true. But, Texas might be one of the best 5 teams in the country right now. Alabama is just a team that can get streaky with the three ball. No shame in getting beat down by Texas.

I don't think the separation between Alabama & Texas is that huge if I'm honest. Bama got all 3 losses in their first 7, and WKU is 8-3, Stanford is 5-2, and Clemson is 8-1.

I guess my point was, even elite teams lose when they have poor shooting nights like we did and like Kansas did. And Alabama isn't a mediocre team

He seems to be playing weaker this year so far. Definitely needs to go back with playing a chip on his shoulder.
Am I the only one that thinks he looks winded all the time? Last year his motor was constantly running yet he never appeared tired.

Tennessee will really struggle against the physical defenses and we missed too many free throws to win tonight.

Alabama was unconcious from three point land in the second half.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back