Kim English

gainesvol82

Reminding Shane Beamer that his fans also like coc
Does anybody else feel like he is our head coach in waiting? I see him handling a lot of head coaching responsibilities....almost like Barnes is prepping him to be a head coach. He seems to handle a lot of the coaching during timeouts with Barnes sitting back except at certain times when he is talking to a specific player.

English is a great young recruiter and seems to be a good overall coach that the players love. He has turned down other opportunities too. I can't tell if Barnes is prepping him to get a HC job or is prepping him to take over at UT in a few years.

I would love it if that's the case as we would have continuity with concepts and a great young coach who could keep UT at a high level for years to come and he is young enough to relate well to kids and bring in high level recruits. Thoughts?

Many will agree he’s the next HC here but I don’t

I think Rob Lanier is the slam dunk hire when Barnes is gone

English needs to take a mid major job. Not many assistant coaches jump right into big time jobs like ours

I think he could be groomed over the next few years to be successful here. Keep increasing his responsibilities and let him learn from Barnes to handle the day to day stuff, let him run practices, etc. I think on the job training by Barnes could set him up to be very successful here....especially if we keep bringing in elite talent.

That would be more beneficial to his development than running a mid major. Why else has he turned down HC jobs if that's not the plan?

I think he could be groomed over the next few years to be successful here. Keep increasing his responsibilities and let him learn from Barnes to handle the day to day stuff, let him run practices, etc. I think on the job training by Barnes could set him up to be very successful here....especially if we keep bringing in elite talent.

That would be more beneficial to his development than running a mid major. Why else has he turned down HC jobs if that's not the plan?

I think just as important is how you handle the management side of things and deal with the boosters, alum and fans. I think English can get there but there are others on the staff just as capable. There is a lot to learn. We have a good problem.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Ryan Day has done a good job at Ohio State

Assistant coaches make that jump much more in football than basketball

Very different

I cant think of any assistant coach that jumped right into a top 20 job in hoops and succeeded. I’m sure there are a few but I can’t think of any

Reactions: tn4elvis

Very different

I cant think of any assistant coach that jumped right into a top 20 job in hoops and succeeded. I’m sure there are a few but I can’t think of any

Just figured I would continue the CFB to CBB analogies, like Trevor Lawrence for example ;)

But yea, Greg Gard at Wisconsin and Brad Stevens
at Butler are 2 that immediately come to mind

Both took over in “odd” circumstances right ?

those are good ones I agree although I’m not sure I’d call them top 25 jobs

Last edited:

Very different

Joe B Hall and Jim Boeheim. But those were more than 40 years ago.

English almost needs to go get some HC experience first. He would be worth taking a chance on. He’s shown to not just be a recruiter. His Xs and Os seem to be in order. He’s almost certainly going to be well organized. It would be a pretty good risk to see if he has the necessary leadership qualities as he gets serious OTJ training in that area.

But Schwartz, Lanier and Oliver would also be in the mix. All 4 have made significant contributions to the current success of TN basketball. I think that Schwartz and English complement each other.

I’d love to see English stick around for another year. If he leaves for a top program (like Missouri) and was immediately successful it will be difficult to lure him back. Every additional year he’s here it builds his bond with UT.

Might want to consider Mark Few at Gonzaga, albeit 21 years ago. Zags weren’t what most would consider an “established” Top 25 program when he was promoted. But, they were coming off an Elite 8 run.

He has it made where he’s at right now.

Oh yeah, I don’t know if he would be even slightly interested in moving across country in his late 50s. Plus, he’s from the West Coast.

I was just offering my two cents worth on the topic of assistants at a good program who succeeded after promotion to HC.

Reactions: Big Orange#1

VN Store

Back