Cuonzo post game quote...

I came into this game thinking it would be tough because the tigers beat two good teams in Illinois & Oregon, and they have 3 three guards averaging 12 or more PPG. Their game against Bradley appeared to be an anomaly. My prediction was way off thankfully. Vols beat the stripes off CM’s tiger cubs. Pinson was impressive and that was it. The rest of their players were shut down. That was an Excellent performance by UT. I don’t really try to decipher quotes from coaches post game after a loss. Most importantly, CM knows he got his azz handed to him by Barnes. GBO!!!!

They didn’t play well

I thought they played hard, they seem to be typical Cuonzo team; tough defensively, limited offensively. If they shoot well, I could see they beating some good teams. Other than his parting shots on racism, Martin conducted himself well here. His style of play is to ugly-up the game and who wants to watch that?

My main problem w/ Cuonzo is that when he was here and massively underachieving and the fans were rightfully upset, he should have taken the heat off the team by taking the blame (which he deserved).

Instead it became very clear that he tried to turn the fans' uneasy state into an "us against them" thing within the team. He was telling the team that no one, including the fans, believed in them and they needed to rally around each other, etc, etc. He was essentially trying to turn his players against their future alma-mater which is a messed up thing to do.

Well he's right, they didn't play well. But they didn't play well because of our defense.

I mean I haven't watched them that much this year, but his offense seemed to be to just bully their way to the basket and sometimes shoot some 3s and hope they are on. If the refs didn't call it so tight on us to try to keep it even, we probably win by 40.

Cuonzo should say "I'm paid millions and under achieve. Tonight is a prime example. But my squad is currently loaded with juniors and seniors, so I'll be headed on to another school within two years and leave Mizzou with a rebuilding job. It's what I do."

I think the tigers still have a solid year and will probably make the tournament. The Vols are just really good.

Reactions: beamerman
Cuonzo should say "I'm paid millions and under achieve. Tonight is a prime example. But my squad is currently loaded with juniors and seniors, so I'll be headed on to another school within two years and leave Mizzou with a rebuilding job. It's what I do."

Hey cut him a break; he finally stayed at a place for a 4th year.

I think we should listen to the entire interview instead of making it sound like he didn't give UT credit.

Due diligence can be our friend.

PowerMizzou - WATCH: Martin talks after loss to Tennessee
He certainly didn’t leave here in the classiest of manners, but to this day people purposely take him out of context and denigrate him endlessly. I can see him being frustrated by the fan/booster treatment here. As far as there being a racial aspect, as others have alluded to I think a lot of it was following in the steps of somebody who a lot of folks worshipped around here, but it’s not a huge stretch to say his race played at least a small part in it. Not saying it for sure did, but it’s not a completely ludicrous thing to say like some people treat it as

Reactions: papatomany
He certainly didn’t leave here in the classiest of manners, but to this day people purposely take him out of context and denigrate him endlessly. I can see him being frustrated by the fan/booster treatment here. As far as there being a racial aspect, as others have alluded to I think a lot of it was following in the steps of somebody who a lot of folks worshipped around here, but it’s not a huge stretch to say his race played at least a small part in it. Not saying it for sure did, but it’s not a completely ludicrous thing to say like some people treat it as

That's definitely a different topic. The OP made it sound like Zo didn't give UT credit for this victory. That is further from the truth when you listen to the interview.

That's definitely a different topic. The OP made it sound like Zo didn't give UT credit for this victory. That is further from the truth when you listen to the interview.
Fair point, I guess I had earlier posts in the thread on my mind but responded to yours. My bad

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think we should listen to the entire interview instead of making it sound like he didn't give UT credit.

Due diligence can be our friend.

PowerMizzou - WATCH: Martin talks after loss to Tennessee
I kept hearing “we’ve got to do what we do” and “when we’re open we have to take the shot”. I really wonder if they have solid offensive plays to create opportunities. Their offense just doesn’t come across as being very organized/ structured and that will cost them games when they can’t put hustle or out athlete the opposition

Cuonzo's not going to give TN any praise. What he should have said is he didn't have them prepared to play such a good team. That would have been more honest.
Or, the real answer, he doesn't know how to prepare for a game like that. His pregame speech had something to do with being tough. I bet he said it 25 times.

This is the only game I’ve seen them play, but unless they establish some form of team offense then they are very average. They grab and push way too much on D which subjects them to constant whistles. The refs appeared to try and keep the calls somewhat even last night but good refs won’t do that. They didn’t have 1 player I’d put in our top 7. Very average and boring team to watch.
I saw a couple of very good players. Zo can recruit players. The issue with Mizzou is the same as the Vols when Zo was the coach. They play pretty good D, they run the court well, but Zo doesn't know how to coach half court offense. When he faces a good team that can cut down on fast breaks, his weakness is exposed. Hope he learns because he's a good man that makes his players better men. I really like the guy.

I think that Cuonzo’s problem isn’t that he can’t sign some elite players. It’s that he can’t target a viable mix of recruits. Recruiting the right players and signing the right players aren’t identical concepts. Barnes tends to have the total be more than the sum of the parts while CCM is the opposite.

I think the tigers still have a solid year and will probably make the tournament. The Vols are just really good.
Based on what I saw last night, I'm not so sure Mizzou will make the tourney. Arky will beat them by 15+. They won't beat UK or LSU, and they'll lose to a couple more teams in the SEC. They'll end up with 7-9 losses in the SEC if Covid doesn't cancel some games. They were lucky to catch OR and IL early. Those teams will get better. Mizzou won't improve much. This Mizzou team is not near as talented as the Vols team Zo coached that had to win the play-in game to get in the tourney and they'll face tougher competition in the SEC.

Based on what I saw last night, I'm not so sure Mizzou will make the tourney. Arky will beat them by 15+. They won't beat UK or LSU, and they'll lose to a couple more teams in the SEC. They'll end up with 7-9 losses in the SEC if Covid doesn't cancel some games. They were lucky to catch OR and IL early. Those teams will get better. Mizzou won't improve much. This Mizzou team is not near as talented as the Vols team Zo coached that had to win the play-in game to get in the tourney and they'll face tougher competition in the SEC.

That could be the case. I think UT is going to beat a lot of teams similar to the game last night where they embarrass their opponent. Tigers are still 6-1 with a good resume. If they do make the dance, it only helps us having them as a quality win.

Reactions: beamerman
They are not that goood of a team. They are not better than UT, Auburn, Arky, Ms. State, Ky, TAM, Florida and probable a nother or two. Have not played anybody other than Illinois and they are not great either!
I respectfully disagree. Let’s not get carried away here. Their wins over Oregon, Illinois and Bradley are all quality wins. They were more “tested” than we had been going into last night. We put the country on notice, not just the conference. Mizzou will be a top 4 team in the SEC when all is said and done. They would handle A&M, Miss St and a one dimensional Auburn team. Period.

Reactions: keenobserver
I respectfully disagree. Let’s not get carried away here. Their wins over Oregon, Illinois and Bradley are all quality wins. They were more “tested” than we had been going into last night. We put the country on notice, not just the conference. Mizzou will be a top 4 team in the SEC when all is said and done. They would handle A&M, Miss St and a one dimensional Auburn team. Period.
Ok lets see who they beat in the league and i forgot to add LSU as another loss to them! No worry your opinion is like mine just an opinion!

Reactions: TheBigOne10
The OP had no agenda except to point out that this is the same stupid crap that he used to say as UT’s coach after a beat down or an opponent that had no business beating us had done so.

He lost me after we lost a first round SEC tournament game in New Orleans as a 2 seed to Ole Miss. I was sitting on the baseline and watched Ole Miss run and score on what seemed to be a dozen pick plays with no response from the coach - no time out or even a defensive adjustment.

I do enjoy telling my Missouri friends how every game that they think have a chance winning against us with him as coach is going to go - and being right every time!

VN Store

Back