Game Thread Lady Vols vs. UNCG

I am positive we will have some games where we can't make shots and shoot poorly. The big thing to stay in this type game is defense and keeping the other team off the foul line. 30 foul shots given to West Virginia were the major reason we lost that game. We let Indiana get back in the game with excessive fouling in the second half. If they make enough shots and beat you I can live with that if you are giving the effort on defense. Putting teams on the foul line is what really is upsetting especially when they get to the line more than 20 times.

I am positive we will have some games where we can't make shots and shoot poorly.

That is an easy bet. They have only been over 50% from the floor in one game, against Furman. The next two best games were 44% and 43.9% in the first two games of the season. The other three games they shot 40.9%, 40.3% and 38.5%.

I would consider those three shooting poorly and the first two games I would consider shooting just ok.

It's who they are. Like you said they need to defend (and rebound) to win most games unless have do have a hot shooting game.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Not just about what the starters average, but in games against good competition, they should be ready to play 35-40 min if it's a matter of 1-2 possessions separating a win from a loss. They can play the bench in the games that are out of reach either way, but I'd hope they keep their best 5 players on the floor as long as the outcome is still in question.

My two cents is that I’d define “starters” as the big three and totally agree with the need to play north of 35 minutes against good competition. I’d say you can rotate based on who is playing best, matches up best or is conditioned enough at the other two spots. So, I could see the other two “starters” playing no more than 25 minutes.

That is an easy bet. They have only been over 50% from the floor in one game, against Furman. The next two best games were 44% and 43.9% in the first two games of the season. The other three games they shot 40.9%, 40.3% and 38.5%.

I would consider those three shooting poorly and the first two games I would consider shooting just ok.

It's who they are. Like you said they need to defend (and rebound) to win most games unless have do have a hot shooting game.
True because unable to establish a post game will keep you at a low percentage in a lot of games. All teams with an inconsistent post game which is almost everybody will have their shooting ups and downs. We thought Key was a player that would arrive as a sophomore and it hasn't happened still the potential is there if she ever becomes better conditioned and more aggressive on the basketball floor.

True because unable to establish a post game will keep you at a low percentage in a lot of games. All teams with an inconsistent post game which is almost everybody will have their shooting ups and downs. We thought Key was a player that would arrive as a sophomore and it hasn't happened still the potential is there if she ever becomes better conditioned and more aggressive on the basketball floor.

Not sure I totally agree with that. I'll use Arkansas for an example. I've read on this board that if they have a poor shooting three point game they will lose because they have no post game. So if they have no post game, they should have a low shooting percentage.

However, in their 9 games they have shot 39, 47, 49, 46, 54, 37, 44, 54, 54, 46 from the field. Big difference.

Some teams have good shooter, some teams don't.

Reactions: mcannon1
Not sure I totally agree with that. I'll use Arkansas for an example. I've read on this board that if they have a poor shooting three point game they will lose because they have no post game. So if they have no post game, they should have a low shooting percentage.

However, in their 9 games they have shot 39, 47, 49, 46, 54, 37, 44, 54, 54, 46 from the field. Big difference.

Some teams have good shooter, some teams don't.
They will have a lot more ups and downs in SEC play. The only reason they beat Baylor was getting to the line 39 times. They will also lose at least 6 SEC games this season. You are showing ten games and an average of 46 percent from the field. They do have an impressive 38 percent from the three and 71 free throw. I doubt they can maintain 46 over an SEC schedule. Were shooting .435 as a team if our post could make a layup and play consistent inside we'd be in line with them. They shot .445 percent in the SEC last season had same conference record as we had. They won't do any better this season I look for them to be about 10 and 6 in the SEC again. They certainly have better perimeter shooters than we do but to be an elite team they certainly need a post and need to rebound better. If they had that player they would be in line to challenge for the SEC title and top 10 at least in the country.

They will have a lot more ups and downs in SEC play. The only reason they beat Baylor was getting to the line 39 times. They will also lose at least 6 SEC games this season. You are showing ten games and an average of 46 percent from the field. They do have an impressive 38 percent from the three and 71 free throw. I doubt they can maintain 46 over an SEC schedule. Were shooting .435 as a team if our post could make a layup and play consistent inside we'd be in line with them. They shot .445 percent in the SEC last season had same conference record as we had. They won't do any better this season I look for them to be about 10 and 6 in the SEC again. They certainly have better perimeter shooters than we do but to be an elite team they certainly need a post and need to rebound better. If they had that player they would be in line to challenge for the SEC title and top 10 at least in the country.

So you think Arkansas is overrated? I thought they would be battling for No. 2 in the league behind South Carolina with Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Kentucky. Love their coach and their style of play. More than six games in the SEC? Maybe. It is a pier 6 brawl in this league for sure.

If Arkansas will struggle to maintain a 46% over the SEC schedule how do you envision Tennessee will do with their 43.5% in the SEC? 41% or 42%?

I just don't think Tennessee has many good outside shooters regardless of how the posts shoot. Time will tell.

I’d actually like Key to gain more muscle in her legs and arms, sorta like C.Collier of Texas. C.Collier has an intimidating build and great athleticism.

So you think Arkansas is overrated? I thought they would be battling for No. 2 in the league behind South Carolina with Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Kentucky. Love their coach and their style of play. More than six games in the SEC? Maybe. It is a pier 6 brawl in this league for sure.

If Arkansas will struggle to maintain a 46% over the SEC schedule how do you envision Tennessee will do with their 43.5% in the SEC? 41% or 42%?

I just don't think Tennessee has many good outside shooters regardless of how the posts shoot. Time will tell.
Were not a contender for the title and neither are they. Arkansas can't rebound for some strange reason, as I haven't watched any of their games, they are getting to the free throw line at an alarming rate thus far in the season. If they can continue to do that they will be in most of the games they play. After looking at their SEC schedule they may win more than 10 games this season. I guess just luck of the draw that they have two with Auburn, Two with LSU and two with Missouri. They also have Vandy so that is probably seven wins right there. If they can split with A&M, beat Tennessee which depends on what team shows up for us and win against Florida looks good for them. They came close to being 8 and 8 in the league last season and you subtract Tolfrey and add Slocum they are only slightly better. Last year they were plus 10 from the free throw line and we missed our usual 14 layups. If neither of those happen this season we'll beat them at home. We out rebounded them 46 to 31 but you have to make the putbacks or that doesn't matter. Finally I don't think they are nowhere near a top ten team. I'll give them top 20. I know were not a top 20 team until I see some consistency in play much better than I've seen thus far.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I’d actually like Key to gain more muscle in her legs and arms, sorta like C.Collier of Texas. C.Collier has an intimidating build and great athleticism.
That is one of her problems looks like she didn't do much as far as bulking her frame. This keeps her from being able to create space inside to play a power game. She seems to have bad hands can't catch the ball that well. She also seems to have some endurance problems after about five minutes she is ready for the bench. Her potential is unlimited but haven't seen the effect of being in college over a season looks to be almost the same player she was last season as far as strength and endurance and understanding of her role.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Were not a contender for the title and neither are they. Arkansas can't rebound for some strange reason, as I haven't watched any of their games, they are getting to the free throw line at an alarming rate thus far in the season. If they can continue to do that they will be in most of the games they play. After looking at their SEC schedule they may win more than 10 games this season. I guess just luck of the draw that they have two with Auburn, Two with LSU and two with Missouri. They also have Vandy so that is probably seven wins right there. If they can split with A&M, beat Tennessee which depends on what team shows up for us and win against Florida looks good for them. They came close to being 8 and 8 in the league last season and you subtract Tolfrey and add Slocum they are only slightly better. Last year they were plus 10 from the free throw line and we missed our usual 14 layups. If neither of those happen this season we'll beat them at home. We out rebounded them 46 to 31 but you have to make the putbacks or that doesn't matter. Finally I don't think they are nowhere near a top ten team. I'll give them top 20. I know were not a top 20 team until I see some consistency in play much better than I've seen thus far.

I really appreciate you engaging me in conversation. You make some very good points. Still disagree with many but good points none the less.

Thanks.

That is one of her problems looks like she didn't do much as far as bulking her frame. This keeps her from being able to create space inside to play a power game. She seems to have bad hands can't catch the ball that well. She also seems to have some endurance problems after about five minutes she is ready for the bench. Her potential is unlimited but haven't seen the effect of being in college over a season looks to be almost the same player she was last season as far as strength and endurance and understanding of her role.

Not only same as last season in strength, endurance and understanding her role but her offensive skill set. It doesn't appear she worked on her outside shot and more variety of post moves.

You are correct has a problem rebounding, But at the same time they create matchup problems for other teams like for TN on defense. What Maryland did was pound glass and shoot lights out from the 3 when Arkansas pack the post and double team the post players.

I really appreciate you engaging me in conversation. You make some very good points. Still disagree with many but good points none the less.

Thanks.
I think the SEC title is more than likely South Carolina with Kentucky and Mississippi State the main contenders. Then the group of Texas &M, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Georgia. I have my eye on Ole Miss I think they could be very good, Alabama, Missouri and Florida. Then Vandy, LSU, and Auburn.

You are correct has a problem rebounding, But at the same time they create matchup problems for other teams like for TN on defense. What Maryland did was pound glass and shoot lights out from the 3 when Arkansas pack the post and double team the post players.
The best way to play them is limit their possessions not get in a running game. Florida did that last season and that is why they won. They do not like to play the slow down game at all. You can definitely pound them on the glass but like you said you need some talented guards to control them on the perimeter.

I think the SEC title is more than likely South Carolina with Kentucky and Mississippi State the main contenders. Then the group of Texas &M, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Georgia. I have my eye on Ole Miss I think they could be very good, Alabama, Missouri and Florida. Then Vandy, LSU, and Auburn.

Don`t sleep on Alabama they can play with most of the teams in the SEC, I also think they are a better team then Georgia and Ole Miss.

Don`t sleep on Alabama they can play with most of the teams in the SEC, I also think they are a better team then Georgia and Ole Miss.
Hard to say I know we can't beat them other than the Davis miracle last season. I think they definitely are a team that could be tough to handle.

The SEC has one great team and a bunch of good teams. Should be a battle. Can't wait until the conference games start. I'm so glad I get SECN+ on WatchESPN.

Depends on what you mean by "great team".

Looking at TAMU's roster, they can play with any team in the country. MSST is working on team cohesion, but they've got the pieces as well. Those two along with SC are legit threats to win the NC and I don't think Kentucky is too far behind those three.

Depends on what you mean by "great team".

Looking at TAMU's roster, they can play with any team in the country. MSST is working on team cohesion, but they've got the pieces as well. Those two along with SC are legit threats to win the NC and I don't think Kentucky is too far behind those three.
I'll be watching all those teams play once the SEC season starts and make a determination then. I do better visually.

A very good conference this year for sure.

TK is nowhere near having the strength and build of Charli Collier...that needs to change

I think we are comparing two different types of post players. Key is more like Bill Russell, Collier is more like Wilt Chamberlain. Both of these NBA post players were great in their own skill sets.

VN Store

Back