Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely speculation on my part, but the only other job possible in the SEC I think would be more appealing that -may- open up, is LSU. Auburn is always a wildcard, but I feel like they are sticking with Gus at this point since this season is such a mess with COVID.

Now if Hugh wants to be in another P5 conference who knows...lots of appealing spots to land if openings pop-up.
Freeze at Michigan would be very intriguing indeed.

Yeah, I think this is just about perfect.

I'd add Fickell to your line 3 with Campbell.

And Tee or Ansley above the Google candidate.

I can see Tee/Ansley/Chaney being possibilities just to keep as much staff here as possible (to mitigate their buyouts since we can't mitigate any of Pruitt's). I honestly don't think Fickell wants to leave Cincinnati unless it's for a NFL gig in Ohio or Ohio State, could be wrong but he seems pretty happy staying in that state from his previous stops (he's never left the state of Ohio for any coaching jobs).

Not saying I buy into the whole “no ties to the south” thing, but you don’t think these blue haired boosters and Fulmer don’t still use that as a qualification?
i do.

and i think fundamentally, there's a lot still broken in "how we do thing" in terms of making decisions on football in particular.

the problem is, at least to some degree, is that there's still a notion that htere's a formula that exists for hiring a coach at TN. and there's just not one. it hink there's there needs to be some acknowledgement that while we still consider oursleves a blue blood program, 15 years is a long time to be irrelevant, and we're not the same level of program that UGA, UF, Bama (among others nationally) are.

meaning, TN still has a recognizable brand, but it is not so much so that it's going to simply sell itself over other programs we consider ourselves peers with.

the statement "we have the facilities, resources and tradition to be as good or better than anyone in the nation" is true.

what's missing is the infrastructure and deccision making personnel. namely the head coach. Saban got one thing right when he took the Bama job. he knew how crazy it could get down there with everybody's hands in the pot. so he demanded control, and got it.

you almost need somoene wiht the same type of clout to do the same thing here. it's clear folks aren't going to get ouf of the way on their own....Mal Moore was desperate. he had the money behind him on the hire. and he ok'd the rest of the deal and that's basically what needs to happen here.

who coiuld do that? no idea. but best i can tell, we're still a dysfuncitonal family at best....and that will continue to be our hang up...til it's not.

Reactions: MarcoVol
So we all agree that Freeze's potential UT coaching staff looks something like:

HC - Freeze
AHC/Co-OC/OL - Matt Luke
Co-OC/QB - Kent Austin
Associate HC/WR - Tee Martin
RB - Jay Graham
TE/Recruiting Coordinator - Maurice Harris
Co-DC/LB - Will Muschamp or Derek Mason

right? RIGHT!?
giphy.gif

So we all agree that Freeze's potential UT coaching staff looks something like:

HC - Freeze
AHC/Co-OC/OL - Matt Luke
Co-OC/QB - Kent Austin
Associate HC/WR - Tee Martin
RB - Jay Graham
TE/Recruiting Coordinator - Maurice Harris
Co-DC/LB - Will Muschamp or Derek Mason

right? RIGHT!?

Would be incredible. This means it won't happen.

You and Jake are just enjoying being contrarians now.
i'm just numb to the whole thing at this point. i see way too many road blocks on freeze, and i'm not sold he'd be a great long term fit.

that said, i wouldn't be mad at hiring him and honestly, i'm for it......just ain't happening.

as for everything else, i'm just pretty meh on TN football....it's been a long time since..........well, it's been worth a darn. and i don't see any scenario that gets us back to anything close to what we want to be sooner than 2-3 years from now, no matter what we do.

longer if we make a change this year, lose the core of this class and see some of our better players currently on the roster leave if that transfer rule comes in to play.

could set us back....big time.

and based on what TN football has been and how we've made decisiosn over the course of many, many years.....i think that's far more likely to happen than us getting Mr. awesome football coach that turns us around in a year..........lol.

This means nothing. If the AD were not “backing” the coach, that would mean he’d already be fired.

He’s going to “back” him all the way up to the press conference announcing a search is underway.
Freeze is a top tier coach. The kind of hire that makes other teams say oh ****. He will get fans excited and back to spending a lot of money. I don't think he will make violation mistakes. Freeze would have us winning 10 games within 2 seasons.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
I can see Tee/Ansley/Chaney being possibilities just to keep as much staff here as possible (to mitigate their buyouts since we can't mitigate any of Pruitt's). I honestly don't think Fickell wants to leave Cincinnati unless it's for a NFL gig in Ohio or Ohio State, could be wrong but he seems pretty happy staying in that state from his previous stops (he's never left the state of Ohio for any coaching jobs).
I think Fickell would be an excellent candidate if we could get him. I like him over everyone you listed outside of Freeze.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back