This makes no sense

Voljerm98

David Ubben on twitter

Jeremy Pruitt said he texted Brian Maurer, who didn't make the trip, before the game and said if they won tonight it would be because of the look he gave the defense on scout team this week. Said he was "phenomenal" in practice.

------------------‐--------------------------------------------------------

If practice is so important, then why leave the guy who was phenomenal?? Not saying Maurer is the answer, but this is crazy to me.

Last edited:
David Ubben on twitter

Jeremy Pruitt said he texted Brian Maurer, who didn't make the trip, before the game and said if they won tonight it would be because of the look he gave the defense on scout team this week. Said he was "phenomenal" in practice.

If practice is so important, then why leave the guy who was phenomenal?? Not saying Maurer is the answer, but this is crazy to me.
He was phenomenal running Auburn's offense not ours if he was scout team QB

David Ubben on twitter

These things only make sense to the dummy uttering them. Think of it like the insane outbursts of a homeless guy who lives in a van down by the river. It’s incoherent to the rest of us, but all makes sense to him.

Reactions: igotworms
How dare he give praise to one of his players who has struggled on and off the field ....
Im not questioning him giving praise to Maurer. I sincerely hate to hear what he goes through off the field.

My question is why not bring him. Last year he brought more spark than anybody has since dobbs. He is just a casualty of the coaching staff.

But I am not a coach and I realize that. So maybe I am wrong.

Im not questioning him giving praise to Maurer. I sincerely hate to hear what he goes through off the field.

My question is why not bring him. Last year he brought more spark than anybody has since dobbs. He is just a casualty of the coaching staff.

I think that Bailey was a better second string option than he was. And unless there was some catastrophic injury to Bailey and JG, then he would not play. I agree, I love his energy. Just not sure it would have been a factor last night. Like you, I'm not a coach, so who knows.

How dare he give praise to one of his players who has struggled on and off the field ....

It’s not like they will play Shrout anyway.
There was one shot of the qbs on the sideline having a skull session. Shrout wasn't even looking at the coach. Instead, he was unwrapping something...gum I think. Even he knows he's not seeing the field so he's tuned out. Probably the mindset of all the other positions. Why bother with a game plan and coaching. JG is going to hand it to the other team anyway. I'd also have to think that when they get pulled for their first mistake, JG can't make enough to get benched. One thing a coach should never do is have two standards or give the impression of favoring a player.

The irony of people calling Pruitt dumb, while not understanding the message clearly conveyed here is palatable.

I'll spell it out:

-Maurer is not the best QB at running the system of offense we are attempting to run.
-Maurer was the best option for simulating the skillset that Bo Nix presents from a running threat standpoint.
-Maurer was put on scout team this week to simulate Bo Nix and Auburn, in an attempt to give the defense some reps at a system they don't frequently encounter.
-Pruitt thought that if we won, it meant the defense played well enough to keep Auburn's point total low - in which case Maurer deserved a lot of credit for preparing the defense for what they would be seeing.

Defense actually played pretty well.

Reactions: VAVol85
The irony of people calling Pruitt dumb, while not understanding the message clearly conveyed here is palatable.

I'll spell it out:

-Maurer is not the best QB at running the system of offense we are attempting to run.
-Maurer was the best option for simulating the skillset that Bo Nix presents from a running threat standpoint.
-Maurer was put on scout team this week to simulate Bo Nix and Auburn, in an attempt to give the defense some reps at a system they don't frequently encounter.
-Pruitt thought that if we won, it meant the defense played well enough to keep Auburn's point total low - in which case Maurer deserved a lot of credit for preparing the defense for what they would be seeing.

Defense actually played pretty well.

Who is the genius who recruited and signed a QB that doesn't fit the system they want to run?

Pruitt was hired in Dec. 2017.

Mauer committed June 2018.

And if the retort is they brought in Chaney, then who made the decision to bring in an OC to run a system they don't have the players for?

Reactions: igotworms
Who is the genius who recruited and signed a QB that doesn't fit the system they want to run?

Pruitt was hired in Dec. 2017.

Mauer committed June 2018.

And if the retort is they brought in Chaney, then who made the decision to bring in an OC to run a system they don't have the players for?

...I said he's not the best option to run our system. JG, HB, and maybe Shrout have all shown a significantly better arm.

Maurer is good at scrambling around and being a gamer. I think he'd be great as a Randel El type WR honestly. Sometimes players get recruited as contingency because that's all you've got. Something is better than nothing, even if not ideal.

Or maybe they thought they could mould him. But honestly it takes about 3 plays of watching Maurer to see he has zero instinctual QB ability. He's a great athlete.

There was one shot of the qbs on the sideline having a skull session. Shrout wasn't even looking at the coach. Instead, he was unwrapping something...gum I think. Even he knows he's not seeing the field so he's tuned out. Probably the mindset of all the other positions. Why bother with a game plan and coaching. JG is going to hand it to the other team anyway. I'd also have to think that when they get pulled for their first mistake, JG can't make enough to get benched. One thing a coach should never do is have two standards or give the impression of favoring a player.
Getting everything from the roster - walk ons included - is what Pittman is doing.

...I said he's not the best option to run our system. JG, HB, and maybe Shrout have all shown a significantly better arm.

Maurer is good at scrambling around and being a gamer. I think he'd be great as a Randel El type WR honestly. Sometimes players get recruited as contingency because that's all you've got. Something is better than nothing, even if not ideal.

Or maybe they thought they could mould him. But honestly it takes about 3 plays of watching Maurer to see he has zero instinctual QB ability. He's a great athlete.

I don't disagree with your take on Maurer although I don't believe he has quite the speed or cutting ability to be an effective receiver.

His mobility and gunslinger mentality could be harnessed and effective in the right offense probably. I think at a lower level of competition however.

My points were regarding the decision making process of recruiting him in the first place.

If he doesn't fit the system there isn't any point in recruiting him and giving him a scholarship.

If a coach can't adjust his system to take advantage of a players strengths then there is the question of how good a coach they are in the first place.

The facts that they continue to trot out Guarantano and he continues to make the exact same mistakes run counter to your point that Pruitt isn't dumb however.

His tweet about Maurer running the scout team made sense. Absolutely nothing else about how he has handled the QB situation does however.

VN Store

Back