Why no change will occur.

COVID is not an excuse since every team was dealing with the relatively same circumstances
Do you really think so? I disagree, I think each team has used different protocols within there own programs. I think our team who is certainly leaning on young players have been significantly hurt by the delayed, interrupted and substandard start to the year... we’ve had two solid weeks of practice. I think we will see improvement

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Cheaper to buy out Pruitt and get a proven coach than it is to continue to go down this path. Half filled stadiums and the loss of donations. cost much more

These excuses are old. All us fans know why no change will occur.

1. Haslams
2. A complete and utter lack of care about the football program from the top down at TN
3. Phil Fulmer
4. TN is cheap

I think Dooley was better than this mess at this point, Dooley and Cheney put up some points and yards with Bray and co, defense was a nightmare though
Many people have said that Dooley was one of the most intelligent Coaches they ever met. Have yet to hear that particular description ever applied to Pruitt

we have coaches who have been successful everywhere...

What is Pruitt's head coaching record before UT?

What is Ansley's record as a DC before UT?

What caused the huge increase in PFF OL grades after Friend left UGA?

How many P5 games had Osovet and Felton coached before this year?

Can you explain how Jared Goff went from a monumental bust to a Pro Bowler right after Weinke left? Same with Foles becoming Super Bowl MVP

1. 2020 is abnormal. Can’t judge by normal standards
2. $$ Tenn is almost thru paying Butch
CJPs buyout would be even bigger for 5 more years!
3. $$ Tenn is in an almost 40 million $ shortfall due to Chinese Virus, there are no funds.
4. There is no magic Booster or Boosters to come up with the $$
5. $$ to hire big time big name proven would take Big Time $$. See reasons 2-3-4
6. Last attempt at hiring made Tenn the laughing stock of America before Fulmer got there, It’s only been 3 years.. Media and Coaches / Agents not gonna be warm to another search..
7. Swallow your Pride. Tenn is not a top 20 job right now. Truth
8. It’s going to take 2 more solid too 10 recruiting classes to fix this team, change Coaches and you will start from scratch as 40% or better if roster will transfer if.. this is the one and done winter coming up.

But they have $12 million to continue drilling a dry hole? Continued losing isn’t going to result in “2 more solid recruiting classes”. Then what do you have? A bad losing head coach who can’t recruit. Hmmmmmm

What do you have? Pittsburg. Pitt Panthers A once proud championship program, lots of AA players, that is no longer relevant

3. $$ Tenn is in an almost 40 million $ shortfall due to Chinese Virus, there are no funds.
5. $$ to hire big time big name proven would take Big Time $$. See reasons 2-3-4
6. Last attempt at hiring made Tenn the laughing stock of America before Fulmer got there, It’s only been 3 years.. Media and Coaches / Agents not gonna be warm to another search..
8. It’s going to take 2 more solid too 10 recruiting classes to fix this team, change Coaches and you will start from scratch as 40% or better if roster will transfer if.. this is the one and done winter coming up.

For years we have been in a state of denial. The football landscape has changed from the last time we had any success. UT won during the 90s when Bama was on probation and GA was down. Even then, victories over Fl were few and far between. Fulmer won because he had better players not because of his coaching acumen. When Cutcliff left the cracks began to show. To win in this arena you absolutely must have better coaching (able to develop players) who not only are capable of putting together a good game plan but are also able to adapt on the fly by making adjustments. Our coaching searches and selections are simply inexplicable and brought us to our knees as a football program. Rather than getting the blackboard out and adapting to what it going on, seems like our coaches go in totally confused and have no idea of what to do. Not looking forward to tonight's game.

Rebuttal-------FREEZE wins wherever he goes WITH LESS TALENT. Winning cures everything; Hire Freeze, and VFL's everywhere would send in the $$$. I think I have debunked your thread. Don't do anything (and use the excuses you noted) and you will be right here next year and the next and the next. This ain't working; and ain't ever going to.

Maybe you are right but Muschamps firing means it could happen here especially if we finished with 2 or 3 wins.

Muschamp. It’s possible.

If Tenn loses to Auburn, (and I fully expect a 20 point loss) the Vols won't win another game. No heart , No Chemistry on this team.

Pruitt was obviously doing some things right at the end of last year.. we saw glimpses of good growth and coaching, I think Pruitt get another year at least to right the ship... there is a built in legit excuse with covid as well, players have looked out of shape.

Pruitt did a good job winning close games against bad to mediocre teams. He did a good job rallying the team after GSU, BYU, and UF to start the season. Those are true. However...

1. The team struggles making adjustments. That has been the case since Y1G1.

2. Team struggles being prepared for games. That hasnt changed since Y1G1.

3. We lost 4 coaches this offseason. 3 were definite downgrades.

4. The QB spot remains an issue with the starter having piss poor fundamentals

5. The OL has regressed with piss poor fundamentals negating 4 5* players

6. This team has quit several times the past 3 years. This is by far the biggest indictment.

7. Covid has caused none of the 6 issues detailed above.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
South Carolina firing Muschamp means zilch about our coaching situation and Pruitt’s hot seat. Just because they fired Muschamp with big buyout, that doesn’t mean we will. We have done nothing better than pay big buyouts the last decade. USC has not. It’s easy for them to get donors as a whole to fire Muschamp. That is not the case at Tennessee and will never be the case. To compare the situations because “well look how similar Muschamp’s buyout is to Pruitt’s” is not a smart argument to make.

Pruitt won’t be fired in Covid year
The argument made here on VN the last few weeks is that no HC’s would be fired because how Covid effected College’s financials. Muschamp’s firing has contradicted those opinions to some degree so it is not an given anymore. Unless you are in the loop with the UT power structure you do not know for certain UT firing Pruitt is an impossibility. I was making the same argument you are making two weeks ago. I cannot make that argument today.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Do you really think so? I disagree, I think each team has used different protocols within there own programs. I think our team who is certainly leaning on young players have been significantly hurt by the delayed, interrupted and substandard start to the year... we’ve had two solid weeks of practice. I think we will see improvement
Covid had nothing to do with Pruitt not attempting that FG recently and the pitiful excuses he had for not going for it. He is not HC material.

The argument made here on VN the last few weeks is that no HC’s would be fired because how Covid effected College’s financials. Muschamp’s firing has contradicted those opinions to some degree so it is not an given anymore. Unless you are in the loop with the UT power structure you do not know for certain UT firing Pruitt is an impossibility. I was making the same argument you are making two weeks ago. I cannot make that argument today.

Agree. There's 5 or 6 people who have the power to influence this call. No one knows what they are thinking. They arent posting on VN. Those people didnt become successful by giving out the scoop to people to post on a message board.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back