2021 Baseball Recruiting

I think that’s a good thing, what do you think?

It’s not uncommon at all. Walk ons don’t sign NLIs

What I don’t like is they could have them sign institutional letter of intents and still be recognized as being members of the signing class but that makes it harder to cut bait later. It’s all part of the game

It’s not uncommon at all. Walk ons don’t sign NLIs

What I don’t like is they could have them sign institutional letter of intents and still be recognized as being members of the signing class but that makes it harder to cut bait later. It’s all part of the game

That’s kinda what I thought too, if they are gonna over sign, I wanna way out, if the want ya bad enough they don’t care if you sign it or not, right?

I know About that 66 but heck, they don’t even have a updated roster.

The reason for that is easy. They want to limit how much PR they get for cutting close to 20 players.

We have even seen the ridiculous takes on this subject here.

1) many of these kids weren’t recruited
2) they just committed on social media and the coaches never wanted them
3) they aren’t vols and shouldn’t even count

it’s really sickening the disrespect shown here to these kids in the name of protecting the coaches by the resident insiders here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titan05 and txbo
I don't think they will cut anyone or very few this year. There is no roster limit so why would you cut guys. You want to keep them around so that if Covid hits the team you have plenty of guys to play games. If you lose a few pitchers, you at least have a few others to throw out there. If the schedule plays out, it could change the coaching philosophy if you have to play 4 back to back games. Plus it looks like they will all get a year back so you will have some third year freshmen next year. If you don't like large numbers now, wait until next year with the third year freshmen, second year freshmen, incoming freshmen and transfers plus the guys who would have been drafted if there were 40 rounds that will not and will come back due to 20 rounds of the draft.

Plus, they are just finishing up their fall season. Most P5 schools do not put out a fall roster and especially this year. They are in their end of fall meetings with the players so they don't know who will want to stay and who will want to try somewhere else. A kid who came in thinking they were the best who finds out that they will play limited innings or a pitcher who came in thinking he was the stud who will find himself in the bullpen hoping for innings may decide to go somewhere else. Much less the guy who thought he could be a 2 way guy starting on the mound and then starting in the field when not on the mound like high school. Remember that most of these guys were studs at their school and maybe in their conference, district or state but now they are just a player. Many come in thinking that they will be the man and when they find out that they will not be starting in the field or starting on the mound and might only play a limited number of innings will choose to go to a place where they can at a lower level. SEC ball is brutal.

I think many don't realize that 50% of all college freshmen baseball players do not play more than 1 year at the college they committed to attend. Some see the writing on the wall and others are shown the writing on the wall. I know BruinVol will eat this up but it is just the beast that is college baseball at all levels. None of us like it but we must accept it as college baseball today. Players and their families dream of playing at a certain school or level of baseball and for UT guys this is the SEC. Coaches at all schools evaluate talent and try to find the best guys for their program. And to be competitive have to do it earlier and earlier. Some fill out and become that player and others do not. Some are fine with a role at that school and others want THE role at A school. All players and parents think their kid is good enough to compete at the school they commit to but all are not. Some don't pan out and it is not always physically. For some it is academically, for some it is mentally, for some socially, and for others it is just bad luck. They get hurt and can't compete.

The rosters typically will not come out until January when they see who is coming back is the simple answer. Because some will not come back. Some will go JUCO, some will go into the transfer portal, some D2, D3, or NAIA. But all will not come back so why put out a roster now.

I think many don't realize that 50% of all college freshmen baseball players do not play more than 1 year at the college they committed to attend. Some see the writing on the wall and others are shown the writing on the wall. I know BruinVol will eat this up but it is just the beast that is college baseball at all levels. None of us like it but we must accept it as college baseball today. ...

I would agree that it has become the nature of the beast. I disagree that we must just accept it.

Reactions: BruinVol
I think many don't realize that 50% of all college freshmen baseball players do not play more than 1 year at the college they committed to attend.

and this is exactly the kind of stat that the NCAA needs to attack. This is shameful.

I’d also like to see a stat of what % of “recruited” incoming players make the 35 man roster and return their second year. Those are the kinds of things that should be regulated

I understand but the 50% is a combination of a lot of things. It is coaches over recruiting which is your pet peeve and I understand but I do not think it is all the coaches' faults. They never know how many will be drafted from the current roster and the incoming group and how many will come back. When you are recruiting the top players in the nation, you have to know that you will lose some to the draft but you never know how many. As bad as over recruiting is you definitely cannot under recruit. The other catch is you have players who are trying to play the highest level they can and some choose to play above where they should be playing. The other group is the ones who have unreal expectations and expect to come in and play every inning as freshmen both ways or even one way. Then there are the ones who just did not continue to grow from the time they were recruited to the time they step on campus. Then you add in your other pet peeve and have the walk-ons who are choosing to tryout for a team with no guarantees. Understanding that if they were not given a preferred walk-on spot or scholarship the chances of making an already full fall roster is slim. But they are willing to try.
When you put all of these kids together you get a lot of kids who do not play after the freshman year at the school they started their college career at. I do not see how any of it can be fixed by the NCAA. They have done their best to enforce the sit out a year unless you go down a level rule. I don't see any way that you can punish coaches that over recruit and also determine what is over recruiting. Is it 15 or more 20 or more 25 or more or 30 or more? There is no clear definition of over recruiting. I do not think that UT does but you clearly do. I believe, as I have said and you will argue with over, you should only count the players that are scholarship players and preferred walk-ons as part of the recruiting class. i believe that successful programs have to expect almost every junior to move on to the draft so you should be bringing in 13 plus players a year. If you have a top recruiting class, then you expect to lose 2-3 players off your incoming class every year so we are at 16 players in a recruiting class. You may have a few more due to injuries so you could be at 18-19 players. Plus if you take into account that half of the class the year before and the year before are not there you could be at 20-22. So realistically you could be over 20 players in a competitive schools recruiting class every year. Then you add in the walk-ons who put on SnapChat or PG that they are committed and it looks more like 26-30 players. But know that only 13 will be there at the end of the year. It is not as bad as it sounds. I respect coaches that give kids a chance to earn a spot. I believe it is up to the parents and players to look at the numbers and figure out if it is worth the risk.

Reactions: JarFly
I believe, as I have said and you will argue with over, you should only count the players that are scholarship players and preferred walk-ons as part of the recruiting class.

I completely agree that only scholarship players and walk ons that are recruited should count. Preferred walk ons isn’t really a term that is relevant in baseball circles as it means a roster spot is guaranteed which we both know isn’t happening with this staff. And yes this staff is over signing by 15-20 spots with these kind of recruits. Way more than needed to cover for the draft.

now I know you have a belief that there is this large group of kids that are going to social media and committing without the coaches approval and that’s just hogwash. You are a smart man and surely you don’t think the staff would allow those type kids that can’t play dead in a western to stick around for more than a day or two tryout in the fall. The facts are 99% of these kids that commit are recruited and brought in as members of a team of more than half a 100 fighting for a spot on the 35. And they are getting more than a few day tryout

I won't say they are all there without recruiting but there is the term preferred walk-on, not an official term but a used term, which means you are guaranteed to be there through the fall not a roster spot in the spring. I do know many kids in multiple programs that truly walk-on in the fall which in baseball terms means there is no guarantee how long you will be allowed to stay. There are also required tryout dates where anybody can come and very rarely does anybody at any program get invited back. I have known several kids from my time coaching baseball that were not preferred walk-ons that stayed most if not all of the fall at various level baseball programs. The coaches made them no guarantees.
My point on the not recruited has been taken out of context. When I say not recruited, it is that the coaches are making no guarantees of any kind or offer of any kind. These are kids that are allowed to come and work out but know they will have to do something great to stay. To me unless you are offered a preferred walk-on spot or a scholarship you were not recruited, you were allowed. I would love to know how many players have started for an SEC school in the past 5 years that was not at least a preferred walk-on coming in. Most D1 schools have kids that are walk-ons for the fall that are not recruited, in my opinion. They are kids who have a remote chance to make the roster but are given a chance to try in the fall. Some of them are there so they have plenty of guys to scrimmage and the players are hoping they are the 1% that make it. I think we are disagreeing on the term recruited. If you are not given anything, you are not recruited in my mind. I don't think you can commit to someone who is not offering you anything. In my dating premise, if one of the people does not propose there can't be a marriage. I know you will jump on this but I also don't think you have a signing day for a guy who is not signing an NLI. If you want to call it something else, then fine, but if you are not signing you aren't really having a signing day. You can still celebrate but not actually signing. Our high school does a signing day for every senior no matter what they are doing in life.
My philosophy with my sons and with my players was a coaching staff shows how much they love you with the offer. I know there are some who don't get baseball money because they already have full rides with academic and other money. That supercedes baseball money because why would you give mor than 100% to anyone unless they are truly the game changer. I think it is the same with the draft. The guys who get more money in signing bonus have a lot longer leash. Money equals opportunities to fail. I know there are exceptions but they are the 1% not the norm. I love the 1% guys but it is a hard road in college or pros.
No. I do not believe there is a large number of kids but there are those who commit that are truly walk-ons and not scholarship or preferred walk-on guys. Those should not count but they do in most recruiting numbers. If they make it, then celebrate with those guys but they are not recruited to me. Maybe we aren't that far off.

I’d love @preacherman20 the next time he’s around those friends of his son to tell them he knows many of them weren’t really “recruited” and shouldn’t even count...

what a pompous freaking sad attitude!!! Mercy

Reactions: Titan05
I don't know how many of these kids you think are there through the end of the year. You make it out that I have said there are 20 of these kids. I said a few which is true. There are about 2-5 true walk-ons every year who go through the fall. There are very few kids at UT that make it through the fall that were not preferred walk-ons. The 1%. They know who they are and what their chances are of making it. I don't think most of them would be offended that they should not be counted if they were not given a preferred walk-on spot. Don't mince my words. I've been very clear on here and with my players throughout the years. You actually act like there are 10 of these kids there and there are not. There were about 20 new players brought in this year and last year and almost all were recruited to some extent. You keep acting like this staff is doing something bizarre but the whole NCAA baseball world does the same. Look at the top 10 recruiting classes of 2021 and you will see almost every team is SEC. All of them bring in about the same number of players. So you and those like you need to decide do you want to compete or only recruit 5 guys a year. When guys commit to an SEC school, they know there is a chance there will not be a spot for them in the spring of their freshman year and if they are knowledgeable they know there is a 50% chance they will not return for their sophomore year. I'm sure there are many players throughout the SEC and D1 baseball, probably all levels this year, that are being told we won't cut you but you probably won't get many innings this spring. I want to support a team and staff that is competing. I know with that goal that my son will not get as many innings or at bats as he would at a lower level D1. But he wants to compete with and against the best. For him that is UT. He had a lot of offers as did most of the players at UT but they chose to take a chance and play with and against the best and be coached by the best.
You want to bash this staff and that is your business. I'm sure there is a back story of some kind. I would say if you can't accept success and what it takes to be successful then find a new team to support. The only way to be successful in D1 baseball is to go recruit the best players available at the earliest times. Then give kids an opportunity to show you what they have. I was not a UT fan before this staff because of how previous staffs treated one of my other sons and other players in year's past. But I love this staff no matter what the future holds for my son. They have lived up to everything they told him when recruiting him. It is up to him and every player who is there this fall to do their part. I'm sure some won't be back in the spring and I hope them the best as they will choose to do what is best for themselves. I know there will be some who will not be back next year. I may not like it but that is reality.

I don't know how many of these kids you think are there through the end of the year. You make it out that I have said there are 20 of these kids. I said a few which is true. There are about 2-5 true walk-ons every year who go through the fall. .

you are disqualified from
Talking about this and getting any kind of the benefit of the doubt that you have any clue about What’s going on.

here’s some background for you getting a clue. There is only 27 scholarship players players on any team at any time.

so if there is 55 on the fall roster that means there is at least 28 walk ons.

If the fall finished up with say 45 kids on the two orange and white rosters that means at least 18 of those kids were walk ons.

now when the season starts there is 35 players on the roster meaning 8 walks made the cut.

Now please don’t insult our intelligence anymore on this board and tell us that there are only 2-5 walk ons that finish the fall.

You just lost all credibility sir

Last edited:
Reactions: Titan05
Not the case in 2020. They now allow 32 scholarships and unlimited roster for 2021.
45 players will be norm this spring in SEC.

Reactions: JarFly
Done arguing with you. You don’t like the coaching staff and you’ve made that very clear so again I do not understand why you are even on other than just to bash them. Still would love to know the backstory. When I did not like the coaching staff’s that were at UT I was not on the message board because it is for fans of the team

Done arguing with you. You don’t like the coaching staff and you’ve made that very clear so again I do not understand why you are even on other than just to bash them. Still would love to know the backstory. When I did not like the coaching staff’s that were at UT I was not on the message board because it is for fans of the team

I don’t dislike the staff nor do I blame them for the way they approach recruiting.

I hate the system and think it needs to be reformed to protect kids and their families.

Reactions: Titan05 and txbo

VN Store

Back