Art Briles Is There For The Taking

Last time I looked, Rick Barnes was 66 years old and he still seems to have a lot of good years left in him.
Mack Brown is on the verge of dotage over at NC and doing pretty well for himself.
So let's not automatically consider age a limiting factor.
He IS 66 and was 61 when we hired him after 2 of our last 3 head coaches had the NCAA camping out in Knoxville. We hired the cleanest straight shooter available...quite the analogy with Briles? 😉

Reactions: tbwhhs
Even if Briles weren't toxic, he's 65 years old.

He's coaching high school now and he's already been reprimanded for using ineligible players.

Oh, and he went 15-22 his first 3 years at Baylor, so all the people who want to fire Pruitt would've fired Briles before he started doing well in Year 4.
Damn...hitting people with the sad truth. VN needs more of that.

It's hilarious that this is even a question, like morals matter anymore. The POTUS has >26 sexual assault allegations, most of which he settled out of court with daddy's money, and was caught on record bragging about them.

Character argument for POTUS went out window when Billy got a hummer in the Oval Office, or when JFK diddled anything with a pulse. But you go on with your orange man bad bs

I've been pushing for Briles for a long time now. I don't care that some folks see him as "radioactive".
If he's radioactive, that just means he'll glow in the dark and will be easier to track at night.
I'll take a glow-in-the-dark Winner over a cornbread-flavored Loser any day.
I'm sure he could be had for less than the likes of Urban or Freeze.
Such a hire might throw a scare into the likes of FL and GA as well.
That's a good thing.

The prospect of going up against Saban -, Mullen -, Richt -, and possibly Freeze - coached rivals every single year with Pruitt still at the helm is daunting to say the least. Not to mention the other well-coached SEC teams we'll be facing.

Did USCjr hire Mark n I missed it?

I kid, I assume you meant Smart?

don't think about anything until the man who brought in the current failure, and gave an extended contract, is cut loose!!!!!

then get someone who can make the next hire!

as for me personally, right now, I am very jealous of Ole Miss!

How could you watch that Ole Miss SC game Saturday night and not be jealous?

First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.

The bolded above makes him very attractive as a coordinator. That's a reason to hire him to replace Chaney

First off, Baylor did not pay his buyout. He was fired for cause, but they reached a settlement with him (below his actual buyout) that came with an NDA.

Second, Briles is radioactive and will never be the head coach at another major program.
That's a hell of a thing to do, especially if said coach allegedly covered up rapes among his players. They might have technically fired him for cause, but they still paid him a bunch of money. That tells me it wasn't as open and shut against him as you'd think.

I still don't know what to make of the Baylor situation. I'm certain terrible things happened there, but I'm also quite certain that people who didn't do anything wrong got caught in the punishments that were handed down. I'm not sure if Briles is one of those people though.

Baylor paid Briles 15.1 million dollars in 2018. Their athletic director admitted the football program was "scapegoated" to try and hide a university wide cover up of sexual assaults. One of the charged players was acquitted, another had his conviction thrown out after it was found that prosecutors and witnesses willfully lied under oath at his trial.

That said, you are right that Briles is radioactive and likely won't ever get a big job again. Right now he's coaching high school football and is 65 years old.
Great coach but do not want

If we brought in Art Briles after having pitched the fit about Schiano, we would be the laughing stock of football on a whole other level than what we currently are.

Schiatno did have the moral baggage associated w Sandusky, yes. But, don't buy in to the national media BS that THAT was the reason for UT protests. It was not and never was. It was ...
#1 that our hireling AD never did a real coach search and determined to hire Shiatno from day 1. With some big guns for hire, they ignored them all for the failed NFL guy w a track record of broken locker rooms and organizations. Nary a call to Chip Kelly, Mullen, Jimbo, just a take on a 3rd rate candidate. The assumption was/is that it was a Haslam pick from day 1 as a Browns payback. Proof of this was found when the AD was chilling at Atlantis week w bball team during the fake search. Not to mention the chaos following Schiatno's turn down when the AD went nuts flying everywhere begging for a coach.
#2 Schiatno is 100% yankee w 3rd tier marketability. The fact that we settled for a coach nobody else wanted either incensed the fanbase.
#3 Being named as a knowing insider to the PSU child rape situation by the ACTUAL witness to one of those crimes, while said witness was under OATH in federal court certainly was a dark cloud over his name. Many seized upon this to make the point. The lying national media propped this as THE reason over time. They are and will continue to be liars. At best, this was the 2nd reason.

Now. Can we publish this broad enough so that the fools who trust natty media (ESPN etc) understand that they believe lies?

Wrong Art

Art Smith is da ticket....OC of the Tennis Shoe Titans. He good! Son of Fred Smith.

Who would you suggest?

VN Store

Back