BasketVols Lookin’ Good in Practice...

Man, I really hope so. I was down on the commitment when we took it, and obviously he did nothing to dissuade me as a freshman. But I'll be honest, I've really found it hard to discredit players that Barnes recruits if they stick thru it the first couple years. Fulk looked like he didn't belong as a rFR and rSO, primarily due to injury. Pons looked like a lost ball in high weeds, early on. Those are our two leaders in the paint, now, and regining 2nd team All-SEC and DPOY, respectively.
Yeah, I feel the same about ORN. It will be more than awesome if he's that good.

It might just be me, but I think Bailey looks like the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey steals a spot and we're looking at vescovi, bailey, JJJ, Pons, and Fulky to start the year with Keon, Springer, Anosike, Plasvic, and Gaines taking the leftover minutes in that order. I'd say Keon will be starting by the end of the season, but Bailey looks hungry.

It might just be me, but I think Bailey looks like the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey steals a spot and we're looking at vescovi, bailey, JJJ, Pons, and Fulky to start the year with Keon, Springer, Anosike, Plasvic, and Gaines taking the leftover minutes in that order. I'd say Keon will be starting by the end of the season, but Bailey looks hungry.
Hungry or not it just doesn't overcome ability. Everyone loves the underdog though I suppose. I don't think Keon or Springer are going to see much bench time in Knoxville.

Hungry or not it just doesn't overcome ability. Everyone loves the underdog though I suppose. I don't think Keon or Springer are going to see much bench time in Knoxville.
I think you're probably right, it just seems to me that Barnes is a little more old school in that he wants to start people that have been in the system the longest, with JJJ being the exception to that rule last year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
also vescovi
That's a good point, but I think that was a special case.

Bowden never developed quite like CRB wanted as a ball handler, Turner was out for the season, and there wasn't a true PG on the roster. JJJ was battling injuries and Vescovi was the only one on our team capable of pushing the ball up the court. If anyone could have challenged Vescovi for the spot, I think he plays spot minutes until his defense improved.

also vescovi
Only because he had to. Had Turner been healthy and stayed Vescovi never declares early and it's likely that he would just now be getting started in Knoxville and would most definitely be looked at as being behind JJJ/Keon/Springer and likely Bailey. Declaring early, getting immediate playing time, having success and not losing a year of eligibility now that everyone gets the free year is great for SVs development and the Vols depth in the backcourt. I think we'll end up getting 4 full seasons with SV on the roster.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Only because he had to. Had Turner been healthy and stayed Vescovi never declares early and it's likely that he would just now be getting started in Knoxville and would most definitely be looked at as being behind JJJ/Keon/Springer and likely Bailey. Declaring early, getting immediate playing time, having success and not losing a year of eligibility now that everyone gets the free year is great for SVs development and the Vols depth in the backcourt. I think we'll end up getting 4 full seasons with SV on the roster.
I think it was Vescovi's plan to enroll early before Turner opted out. Barnes even spoke about it saying he didnt expect SV to play much, if any, and openly discussed the possibility of him redshirting. Then Turner opted out, and essentially forced CRB's hand.

I think it was Vescovi's plan to enroll early before Turner opted out. Barnes even spoke about it saying he didnt expect SV to play much, if any, and openly discussed the possibility of him redshirting. Then Turner opted out, and essentially forced CRB's hand.
Correct, we had the open scholarship and staff wanted to lock him up and bring him in.

Nice clip. This squad should be able to apply relentless pressure and pace both offensively and defensively for 40 minutes if they use their depth. I doubt (and hope) no one is required to play the same number of minutes per game this year comparatively from last years group.

So many ways to play with so many options. Aggressive defensively. Athleticism out the wazoo. Very high IQ basketball team. Exceptional coaching. Being old-school, I just never thought there would be anything to surpass King, Grunfeld, Jackson, Darden,and Johnson. However, I'm thinking this team is going to change my mind.

So many ways to play with so many options. Aggressive defensively. Athleticism out the wazoo. Very high IQ basketball team. Exceptional coaching. Being old-school, I just never thought there would be anything to surpass King, Grunfeld, Jackson, Darden,and Johnson. However, I'm thinking this team is going to change my mind.

The biggest problem with that team was that we had a great 5, but the cupboard was pretty bare after that. If we had 2 or 3 other really good players, I think we would have been totally unstoppable.

You never really know until the season actually starts, but that is likely the difference with this team. We should be able to rest our guys, or not miss a beat if someone gets into foul trouble.

The biggest problem with that team was that we had a great 5, but the cupboard was pretty bare after that. If we had 2 or 3 other really good players, I think we would have been totally unstoppable.

You never really know until the season actually starts, but that is likely the difference with this team. We should be able to rest our guys, or not miss a beat if someone gets into foul trouble.
Yes, totally agree. I also believe that Mears promised playing time to King and Grunfeld in his infamous "star system" philosophy, so there was not going to be much use of the bench. It's funny though, these starters could play fast tempo for 40 minutes and it seemed to never matter much. I'm sure if you asked a kid his preference for playing time today, and 30 minutes would be on the low end.

Yes, totally agree. I also believe that Mears promised playing time to King and Grunfeld in his infamous "star system" philosophy, so there was not going to be much use of the bench. It's funny though, these starters could play fast tempo for 40 minutes and it seemed to never matter much. I'm sure if you asked a kid his preference for playing time today, and 30 minutes would be on the low end.

I doubt that promises had to be made. Grunfeld and King were clearly the best players on the roster. Only a couple of subs would be used. There was not a shot clock and games were shorter. Possessions often lasted a minute or more... coast-to-coast play was an anomaly. Players didn’t need much rest. Another big difference was that players had 5 days to rest up for the Saturday/Monday games.

I'm excited about basketball this year more than ever. I just hope it doesnt get shut down. And I really hope this team doesn't play selfish with a me me me attitude. Watching that film makes me wonder if this isnt the most talented and physically team ever assembled in Knoxville top to bottom. Please Please Please Corona stay the heck away. Final four or Bust.
I really can't think of one kid where their attitude would lend itself to a "me" thing. Barnes has been quite vocal about the lack of selfishness and entitlement that he's seen so I don't THINK that should be much of an issue. Actually I hope some are a little more aggressive and take their shots. If everything folds together I'm like everyone else and think this could be fun. I'm with you on the virus thing....but I'm optimist we can navigate through it.

Reactions: cwbytruckers
I doubt that promises had to be made. Grunfeld and King were clearly the best players on the roster. Only a couple of subs would be used. There was not a shot clock and games were shorter. Possessions often lasted a minute or more... coast-to-coast play was an anomaly. Players didn’t need much rest. Another big difference was that players had 5 days to rest up for the Saturday/Monday games.
Spot on about the rest issue. I'm sure you remember teams running the offense to GIVE those players rest while remaining on the floor. A very different game in those days for sure and sometimes I miss it. But the game today probably is a little more exciting and has helped develop the athletic players game a lot. Back then you could kind of hide the slower, less athletic players but today...not so much. Good post!

I agree with most of what you say except that the possessions lasted a minute or more. Look at how many points were scored on average and it wouldn't likely be that possessions lasted that long.

Holy s*** we are loaded!! I was watching this and being like oh wow I forgot we had him for a second. This is easily Coach Barnes most athletic and deepest team he has had here. We have so much talent, but not enough minutes to go around. I'm really curious on how Barnes is going to construct this rotation.

Yep and given our typical UT luck or lack thereof, it comes in the middle of a damned made in china pandemic.

I agree with most of what you say except that the possessions lasted a minute or more. Look at how many points were scored on average and it wouldn't likely be that possessions lasted that long.

i did say “often” and not “usually”. The reason that the 45 second shot clock was added was because of slow play. But TN certainly did speed it up by the time Bernard arrived in 1974.

One of the metrics that Mears used a lot in the early 70s was scoring efficiency after crossing half court. Those were not run and gun teams. They’d play slow enough for the big “pivot” player (Kosmalski and Boerwinkle several years before him) to get set up and then the offense was designed to pound the ball inside.

i did say “often” and not “usually”. The reason that the 45 second shot clock was added was because of slow play. But TN certainly did speed it up by the time Bernard arrived in 1974.

One of the metrics that Mears used a lot in the early 70s was scoring efficiency after crossing half court. Those were not run and gun teams. They’d play slow enough for the big “pivot” player (Kosmalski and Boerwinkle several years before him) to get set up and then the offense was designed to pound the ball inside.
As a reference point, the last year King and Grunfeld played together, Tennessee and opponent averaged 137 FGA per game and last years team with opponent averaged 108 FGA per game. The offensive efficiency stat was the reason Tenneessee's scoring defense was considered one of the best in the nation. The Vols flat out got after it.

VN Store

Back