Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

volamite86

NOTE FROM THE MODS: We're bringing this thread back so we can help keep player threads on topic and have a place for lighthearted off topic posts. No politics, no covid, no hot button social issues. Zero tolerance. Offenders will be removed from the thread/forum/board.

Keep bringing what you can and doing what you do. Those of us that do understand appreciate you very much!
How long you been teaching?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. If you are a teacher we are all forever in your debt as well. Next year when we hopefully have a normal season I hope that I can have you as my guest for a fun day. I would be honored.
I appreciate you saying that. We all do our part, and I am a teacher. 13 years with fifth and sixth graders. I would absolutely love to take you up on your offer and even more importantly that would mean a normal season! I can't wait to see Neyland full again!

Nice! How's covid treating you all? We're in person but feels like we could all go back online any moment.
We’re in person Mon-Thr and virtual on Fridays. We’ve got probably 1/4 of our students opting for virtual, and have anywhere between 10-15 out on quarantine at any given time. Our teachers have been hit harder than the students though. We had 8 go in to quarantine at one time, followed by our entire lunch lady staff.

Just trying to keep moral up more than anything. Kids, and teachers, are desperate to stay in in-person classes.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver
We’re in person Mon-Thr and virtual on Fridays. We’ve got probably 1/4 of our students opting for virtual, and have anywhere between 10-15 out on quarantine at any given time. Our teachers have been hit harder than the students though. We had 8 go in to quarantine at one time, followed by our entire lunch lady staff.

Just trying to keep moral up more than anything. Kids, and teachers, are desperate to stay in in-person classes.

Agreed. We've separated our classes as much as possible so when one is affected it doesn't shut down our whole school. Our admin is fighting for us to stay in person as long as we can.

Like you all, we're afraid it'll be the lack of teachers available that will put us virtual again. Weird times. The kids need that in person education. Some can do well online but it's not a true substitute. Especially I imagine science at your level. How do you do labs?

Reactions: SmokinBob
Agreed. We've separated our classes as much as possible so when one is affected it doesn't shut down our whole school. Our admin is fighting for us to stay in person as long as we can.

Like you all, we're afraid it'll be the lack of teachers available that will put us virtual again. Weird times. The kids need that in person education. Some can do well online but it's not a true substitute. Especially I imagine science at your level. How do you do labs?
Really having to pick and choose with labs. I’ve been able to modify most to where they’re individualized. However, most labs have been frowned upon by the higher ups.

I agree about the distance learning. It was never meant to be a total substitution for learning, however that was the knee-jerk reaction to all of this. My virtual kids are struggling, whether because they can’t grasp the material or they’re not self motivated enough to be an online student.

Good enough for people who drive long distances for a living? Good enough for me.
Good food or truck drivers would not eat there. They know where the best food is located. If you are hungry and see a bunch of Semis parked at a restaurant, you will enjoy your meal unless you talk about politics.

Reactions: butchna
Really having to pick and choose with labs. I’ve been able to modify most to where they’re individualized. However, most labs have been frowned upon by the higher ups.

I agree about the distance learning. It was never meant to be a total substitution for learning, however that was the knee-jerk reaction to all of this. My virtual kids are struggling, whether because they can’t grasp the material or they’re not self motivated enough to be an online student.
The labs frowned upon because of cost to families? Safety? Yes, I agree it's no substitution but systems are sitting down again around us.

We're hanging on so far. I've heard from several former students both in high school and college who are really struggling with online learning. Luckily there's such a push here locally at the younger grade levels to keep us in person. Whenever I would get frustrated in the beginning when the whole system was remote, I would think about kindergarten teachers trying to teach a kid to read through zoom and I knew I didn't have it that bad! Ha.

Hang in there!

O/U how many pages we last: 25...ima guess 9:37 PM on Nov 3.

O/U how many bans we get out of this before it gets shut down: 3.5

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Btw love the OT thread. But restarting it the week before the ********...let's see how good we are at the silent game.

VN Store

Back