'21 GA OT Amarius Mims (Georgia commit)

You can hold onto hope literally up until a kid heads to the stage to make an announcement. I can’t tell you how many things fall apart or come together literally right up to an announcement happening. If you give up and don’t hold onto hope you stand no chance no matter what....you’ve already lost.
Sounds like so many of the posters on here. Already beat

True , Even if he commits to the Vols he is going to pressured by Georgia to the very end unless he breaks off contact. Vice-versa if he commits to Georgia tomorrow.

You can hold onto hope literally up until a kid heads to the stage to make an announcement. I can’t tell you how many things fall apart or come together literally right up to an announcement happening. If you give up and don’t hold onto hope you stand no chance no matter what....you’ve already lost.
1602637317822.gif

What is the rule? It looked janky as hell to me, but the refs kept letting them do it.
NCAA RULE (7-1-5-a-3) No player shall use words or signals that disconcert opponents when they are preparing to put the ball in play. No player may call defensive signals that simulate the sound or cadence of (or otherwise interfere with) offensive starting signals.

NCAA RULE (7-1-5-a-3) No player shall use words or signals that disconcert opponents when they are preparing to put the ball in play. No player may call defensive signals that simulate the sound or cadence of (or otherwise interfere with) offensive starting signals.
Thanks..

Reactions: SugarCC
The defensive line shift is not illegal. Quite simply we were beaten far too often on the LOS and in our blocking schemes. Sometimes 4-5 guys did their job, but all it takes is 1 guy getting beaten. Joe Rexrode of The Athletic broke down the blocking for every UT possession today, here is his breakdown of the 3 successive 2nd half possessions which preluded the final 21 UGA points:

"Possession 9
Georgia 23, Tennessee 21, 6:13 left in the third
First-and-10 from the 24: Again, the Vols are fine if they can just answer offensively. Here’s an attempt to get freshman Jailin Hyatt involved, a reverse pitch that is actually blocked well. It’s just that doing anything horizontally against this defense is unlikely to work.
Second-and-7 from the 27: Hyatt again, this time with a screen. Warren simply misses Rice, who makes the play untouched for a loss of 6. Bad screen blocking against a defense that — again — is a lateral monster if not a literal monster. And now the Vols are behind the sticks again. Much by their own doing.
Third-and-13 from the 21: Warren stays in as part of a six-man protection. Georgia brings five. On the previous play, Wright lost his helmet, so Mays is at right tackle and freshman Javontez Spraggins is at right guard. Mays is beaten badly by linebacker Adam Anderson, who is instantly in Guarantano’s face. Major pass-blocking loss (14-9), sack, fumble, Morris saves the day temporarily by jumping on it.
Possession 10
Georgia 30, Tennessee 21, 29 seconds left in the third
First-and-10 from the 17: Plenty of time, you know. Not out of hand yet. You can still … hey, a run. Chandler gets 2. No one significantly beaten but still give it a run-blocking loss (7-6) because it will be the last running attempt by Tennessee before garbage time.
Second-and-8 from the 19: Mays beaten again and the rush gets quickly to Guarantano, who has to unload quickly to Palmer for no gain. Pass-blocking loss (14-10).
Third-and-8 from the 19: Georgia brings six. Tennessee’s got five of them blocked, but Chandler does not do the job on Dean, who gets right to Guarantano and forces an errant throw to Johnson.
Possession 11
Georgia 37, Tennessee 21, 10:31 left in the fourth quarter
First-and-10 from the 25: OK, it’s getting out of hand. The defense has finally succumbed after keeping the Vols in it for most of this offensive meltdown. The run game as an afterthought is actually understandable. Jalen Carter beats Wright quickly and Guarantano has to escape for 5. Pass-blocking loss (14-11).
Second-and-5 from the 30: Good protection this time for a pass-blocking win (15-11). But Stokes is all over a slant to Palmer and it has no chance.
Third-and-5 from the 30: Again, Georgia brings six. Again, it’s on Tennessee’s running back to save the day. But Rice blows past Gray, hits Guarantano, pops the ball free, grabs it, scores. Garbage time is here. Relevant offensive plays finish with a massive pass-blocking loss (15-12).
So there you have it. This wasn’t as simple as Tennessee’s offensive line taking a beating. Individually, there were mistakes and losses to great players. But remember, this was mostly a specifying of the gaffes. All those wins in run blocking and pass blocking included a lot of unspecified individual competence. And many of the breakdowns involved bad blocking from skill players — who, to be fair, typically don’t get enough credit for their roles in good rushing attacks, either."

So the bottom line is, not that we were tricked, but we didn't execute and our lack of execution and the consequences for it was aided significantly by a high level of execution and talent on the other side of the ball.

They did this, pretty much the entire game. As you can see, according to NCAA rule (7-1-5-a-3)...illegal.

They did this, pretty much the entire game. As you can see, according to NCAA rule (7-1-5-a-3)...illegal.
I'm talking about the shift not what anyone was saying (which everyone does). As you can see from Rexrode's analysis, whether they did or didn't mimick signals, the missed blocks were 99.99999999999% of the problem.

Did I miss them yelling out or signaling something to confuse the snap count? Shifting is legal on the defense. As long as you don't cross the neutral zone you can move all you want. Right?

Did I miss them yelling out or signaling something to confuse the snap count? Shifting is legal on the defense. As long as you don't cross the neutral zone you can move all you want. Right?
Teams are constantly accusing each other of it (usually justifiably) in every game, the article I excerpted from our page on The Athletic broke down the blocking on every UT possession, the problem was consistently losing one on ones, missed assignments and so forth, not UGA's shifting or other nonsense.

Do any of you really hold onto hope here with Mins?

I think he chooses UT. I think he knew last week and the game didn't mean crap to him other than to show him that he is needed at the school he and his mom both love.

That may or may not be accurate but I'm putitng in a CB now for
4if3i4.jpg

I'm talking about the shift not what anyone was saying (which everyone does). As you can see from Rexrode's analysis, whether they did or didn't mimick signals, the missed blocks were 99.99999999999% of the problem.
I could care less what Rexrode analyzed. Whenever an ELITE defense...

1)Is interfering with the snap cadence, it 1)Throws EVERYTHING off and confuses, which is why 2)It's ILLEGAL.

2)Is not one bit afraid of a QB beating them with his arm, or making any kind of play....again, not one bit afraid, they can overwhelm an offensive line, no matter how good the O-line is. An elite defense, which uga has, can overwhelm AN ENTIRE OFFENSE, no matter what, if the most important position in sports, the QUARTERBACK, is not up to snuff.

Now, did the O-line miss blocks, have a terrible game? Of course they did! They were being bombarded by an elite D, that has no flaws; or very minute ones, if they do. Kirby knew, and has known, JG cannot beat them...in knowing that, and breaking rule 7-1-5-a-3 and throwing everything off, well...we saw what we saw.

Last edited:
It wasn't the line shifts. It was them calling out the snap cadence. Check out Pruitt on the sideline...he was going insane, because of it.

Do you have the rule of the line shift being illegal too?

VN Store

Back