ESPN the lost Network

If you turned on a game and they are discussing issues of race and you got angry.....just saying.
Why do I care what a play by play man and a JV color commentator with no particular expertise has to say about anything other than the game on the field in front of them? Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but there's a time and place for everything and that's where ESPN is missing the boat.

Not at all. He looked silly and that will haunt him for awhile. Everyone wants social justice but social justice needs to be defined and not use to invoke violence. Just my opinion.

It has been defined. Most don't realize it and that is the issue. The definitionsof equality and oppression have changed. Look up critical theory and specifically critical race theory. It is the culmination of Marxism and post modernism.

You're right. It isn't. But everyone has an opinion. I'm not going to boycott something because I hold a different opinion.

I'm honestly getting confused here by some stances. The same type people I see complaining that they can't have a different opinion turn around and say they aren't watching pro sports anymore because of the opinions of the players playing them. So again, are you mad because you think you can't have an opinion, or are you mad because it's not YOUR opinion they share?

Or it's proof you're just kinda butthurt that they are having and promoting opinions you don't agree with. I don't believe for a second those of you bellyaching about this would be saying a damn word if they were pushing opinions you agreed with, you'd be the ones talking about how it's their right to say what they are saying.

All this is about what it's always been about, the perspective you're looking at it from.
Don't assume you know me, or anything about me.

Not "butthurt" and don't care if you agree with me or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm gonna watch no matter what. My only objection is if anyone states the other side, they are branded with a scarlet letter.

Why do I care what a play by play man and a JV color commentator with no particular expertise has to say about anything other than the game on the field in front of them? Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but there's a time and place for everything and that's where ESPN is missing the boat.

Nobody said you have to care; but they don't have to care if you think it's the "time or place" either.

But if you don't care, why is everyone getting triggered over it?

Don't assume you know me, or anything about me.

Not "butthurt" and don't care if you agree with me or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm gonna watch no matter what. My only objection is if anyone states the other side, they are branded with a scarlet letter.

I mean I commend you for watching no matter what. But saying people have become wussified in the middle of whining about all this is just kinda.....funny.

VolsSportsFan and Stoerner and a couple of others in this thread are making vast assumptions about most everyone else in the thread. The assumption is: If you aren't in favor of social justice issues intruding on football and other sports, you must be anti-social justice.

It's only one small step from that to accusing everyone who doesn't want social debate mixed into their football of being racist or sexist or whatever-ist.

Stop making these assumptions, fellas. You're wrong. I know you're wrong about me, and I suspect you're wrong about a lot of folks here. This tactic is beneath you, or should be.

Agree. My biggest issue with ESPN isn't the opinions but that they seem forced and inauthentic. It feels like junior high drama club reading corporate lines. I dont mind the opinions, I just dont like fakeness. The people giving these opinions are like televangelists that are phony. They end up doing more harm than good since most people see right through them.

Reactions: Wireless1
I mean if you're saying you wish the in game commentators would shut up more, I'm not going to argue with you there. I wish they had a word limit.

But this is getting into you not liking what they are saying, not that they are talking about things non-specific to the game. I mean do they need to stop talking about a player's mom surviving cancer? Is that too much of a sob story? I mean you just said only the game at hand.
My point is on the commentator himself stating his opinion that is political unrelated to the game, these are "his" opinions. If he is talking up players coach's and all, feel good stories.. That goes with the game to me, yes I like to hear stories about the players, their moms and dads etc.. And I never said I disagreed with the commentator.. I am just saying that I check that out at a different time and place. It would be like going to a restaurant and the waiter coming up to see if my food was good and start discussing his opinion on global warming.. You know? I can value his opinion, but can I just enjoy my meal and check into it at another time? I mean this is what I enjoy.. We are all different and that is what makes us who we are..

VolsSportsFan and Stoerner and a couple of others in this thread are making vast assumptions about most everyone else in the thread. The assumption is: if you're not one of us, you're the enemy.

If you aren't in favor of social justice issues intruding on football and other sports, you must be anti-social justice.

It's only one small step from that to accusing everyone who doesn't want social debate mixed into their football of being racist or sexist or whatever-ist they think they can get away with.

Stop making these assumptions, fellas. You're wrong. I know you're wrong about me, and I suspect you're wrong about a lot of folks here. This tactic is beneath you, or should be.

My God, the lack of self-awareness with you is staggering.

You literally just preached and accused me and others of making assumptions....and then immediately made assumptions about us. You sat here and watched people make blanket statements about ESPN, what they are doing, what ESPN should do, then go on your little preachy rant about how WE are the ones being divisive, assumptive, and how wrong we are.

And this is why there never is much discussion, because with this you are attempting to plant your "I'M RIGHT" flag and shutdown the discussion.

Well go pound sand. This gaslighting, projection bullsh*** SHOULD be beneath you, but I'm hardly surprised.

Even if and that's a big IF I watch an event on espn I typically have to mute the sound and watch the event. Even the commercials are political. The fact is if I see any Ryan Tannehill type speeches that in any way support the marxist terrorist group BLM, or talk about our country being racist I wont be watching any of :these events anyway. I dont watch sporting events to hear about a commentator or athletes' political leaning or opinion. I watch it for the competition and the adrenaline it provides.

My God, the lack of self-awareness with you is staggering.

You literally just preached and accused me and others of making assumptions....and then immediately made assumptions about us. You sat here and watched people make blanket statements about ESPN, what they are doing, what ESPN should do, then go on your little preachy rant about how WE are the ones being divisive, assumptive, and how wrong we are.

And this is why there never is much discussion, because with this you are attempting to plant your "I'M RIGHT" flag and shutdown the discussion.

Well go pound sand. This gaslighting, projection bullsh*** SHOULD be beneath you, but I'm hardly surprised.
Wow.

Touched a nerve?

Is it me or has ESPN thrown the last shovel of dirt on their grave? I mean who can watch this junk and call it sports reporting? To survive,if they can, they should leave the opinions to the fans and not express theirs on fans who just want to watch sports and get away from politics,the pandemic and the social unrest in our country. What’s sad is the network has hijacked college football and left many of us with no choice but to turn it off.

And yet it ESPN is still one of the most watched channels on basic cable. I don’t tune in for anything other than live sports. If you don’t like the programming, then don’t watch.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
My father in law asked me just the other day if football had started yet or when it was supposed to. I didn’t have any answers. To me, that’s my sign that I already don’t care anymore. I can say this honestly, I don’t give a damn if they (meaning the Vols or any of them) ever play again. If it weren’t for the Stocks thread in the Pub Forum, I doubt I’d still be here at all.
That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.

Many of those “unimportant bits” you refer to are the same areas of the country that were furious about the abolition of slavery, the Civil Rights Movement, educational integration and so on. I remember the contempt for the sanitation workers strike in Memphis, and the march at Selma. “How dare they leave trash in the streets.”, “How dare they block a public bridge”. I remember how many people refused to watch Walter Kronkite and CBS based on their coverage, and editorial opinions regarding civil rights. “If he’s going to interrupt the news with this nonsense, I just won’t watch it”. That seems absurd in retrospect. Saban and Pruitt marched with their players. Coaches support protest. It’s cynical to say the sole reason is economic. They do so because they know the kids and their families and see their suffering. I don’t think Herbstreit was putting on a show. I think he sits beside black friends and colleagues and athletes all day every day. He’s sick of seeing them suffer too. The whole concept of a protest is that it has to be an imposition, or it won’t work. It’s not new to athletics either. Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith and John Carlos all took much stronger and controversial stands than Kaepernick, or Herbstreit. I’m sorry it makes you shift around in your recliner, and think about things you don’t want to think about, but that is exactly what it’s designed to do.
So simple minded here - I just wanted to watch a football game - guess those days have slipped away.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23

VN Store

Back