ESPN the lost Network

Bigorangedan23

Is it me or has ESPN thrown the last shovel of dirt on their grave? I mean who can watch this junk and call it sports reporting? To survive,if they can, they should leave the opinions to the fans and not express theirs on fans who just want to watch sports and get away from politics,the pandemic and the social unrest in our country. What’s sad is the network has hijacked college football and left many of us with no choice but to turn it off.

Last edited:
Is it me or has ESPN thrown the last shovel of dirt on their grave? I mean who can watch this junk and call it sports reporting? To survive,if they can, they should leave the opinions to the fans and not express theirs on fans who just want to watch sports and get away from politics,the pandemic and the social unrest in our country. What’s sad is the network has high jacked college football and left many of us with no choice but to turn it off.
Yeah it can be annoying but im not about to quit watching football. Or basketball. Its okay for people to have different opinions

Yeah it can be annoying but im not about to quit watching football. Or basketball. Its okay for people to have different opinions
The opinions part though really isn’t their job. They should be discussing sports, and that’s it. They have an agenda that’s pretty clear now, and it’s going to bite them.

Is it me or has ESPN thrown the last shovel of dirt on their grave? I mean who can watch this junk and call it sports reporting? To survive,if they can, they should leave the opinions to the fans and not express theirs on fans who just want to watch sports and get away from politics,the pandemic and the social unrest in our country. What’s sad is the network has high jacked college football and left many of us with no choice but to turn it off.

Glad to see you and others are realizing this. It's been this way for 15 years now. The only time I can stomach this Marxist propaganda machine is if a live game is on. They are just more brazen and WOKE now than ever.

The opinions part though really isn’t their job. They should be discussing sports, and that’s it. They have an agenda that’s pretty clear now, and it’s going to bite them.
We all wish this. That it would come around and bite them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that's ever going to happen. ESPN have been pursuing the identity politics angle for many years now, and...nothing. Yes, their ratings are down, but clearly not enough to make them change their minds.

Perhaps the owners are just too rich to worry about it. Once you get up to a certain level of wealth, money becomes unimportant, it's just one of several means to amass power. Power is the thing. Influence, control, leverage. Power.

So perhaps they may be getting less money from ad revenue because they're pissing off a lot of the "little people" like you and me, but still doing really well amassing power where they seek it.

The owners of ESPN, when they look at a map of the globe, maybe it has important terrain, terrain they'd like to control--like the eastern seaboard between DC and Boston, the west coast from LA to Seattle, the population band of eastern Canada, maybe an island here and there in Texas and Florida (Houston, Miami), and then their gaze shifts toward Europe and Asia. Maybe when you have this view of the world, what's happening in all those unimportant bits (like the other half of the US) just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I quit watching anything but Live sports on ESPN years ago. I am glad I can now watch sports on the SEC network. I am so tired of everyone pushing their agenda at me and telling me what I am supposed to think is important. I have no problem with you having an opinion, but your opinion is NOT my opinion.

We all wish this. That it would come around and bite them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that's ever going to happen. ESPN have been pursuing the identity politics angle for many years now, and...nothing. Yes, their ratings are down, but clearly not enough to make them change their minds.

Perhaps the owners are just too rich to worry about it. Once you get up to a certain level of wealth, money becomes unimportant, it's just one of several means to amass power. Power is the thing. Influence, control, leverage. Power.

So perhaps they may be getting less money from ad revenue because they're pissing off a lot of the "little people" like you and me, but still doing really well amassing power where they seek it.

The owners of ESPN, when they look at a map of the globe, maybe it has important terrain, terrain they'd like to control--like the eastern seaboard between DC and Boston, the west coast from LA to Seattle, the population band of eastern Canada, maybe an island here and there in Texas and Florida (Houston, Miami), and then their gaze shifts toward Europe and Asia. Maybe when you have this view of the world, what's happening in all those unimportant bits (like the other half of the US) just doesn't matter.

When you have all the “little people” say forget this, it can ripple. When fans aren’t in the stands at pro games and they aren’t watching on TV, eventually that has to hit player salaries. Since they seem to be the ones with the loudest voices, let’s see what happens when teams can’t afford to pay them what they’re used to. I’m sure they’ll all call for unity then. They seem to forget that when the fans leave, it’s over.

When they politicized professional sports, I was done.
My son WAS a big NBA fan. He’s the only reason I watched that mess. When the knees hit the ground disrespecting our flag and country jerseys went in the trash and it has not been on since. It’s a sport and it’s enjoyable and should be an escape from politics. The genie is out of the bottle and it won’t be back inside for a very long time if ever.

When you have all the “little people” say forget this, it can ripple. When fans aren’t in the stands at pro games and they aren’t watching on TV, eventually that has to hit player salaries. Since they seem to be the ones with the loudest voices, let’s see what happens when teams can’t afford to pay them what they’re used to. I’m sure they’ll all call for unity then. They seem to forget that when the fans leave, it’s over.
The only way
TV gotta have advertisers.
Boycott the advertisers and let them know why.
Change will be swift.
Even the almighty ESPN

But "the fans" isn't a monolithic bloc who all think like you and me.

Our nation is divided in philosophy and outlook. Seriously divided. And there's nothing about liking football that puts fans all on the same side. There are plenty of football fanatics in some parts of this country who truly love and respect ESPN for being such a "brave champion" of causes. They tend to live in those parts of the country I mentioned above.

*shrug* I'm not going all tin foil hat or anything, just recognize the world as it is today. Fans of Rutgers, and the Michigan Wolverines, and the Stanford Cardinal, they don't necessarily dislike ESPN for being heavy on the social commentary.

If we give up football just in the parts of the country that ESPN doesn't care about, that just makes the sport of football more firmly the kind of place where ESPN will thrive. We're not going to hurt them by ignoring the game. They've already discounted our significance to their success. All we'll hurt is ourselves by giving up the game we love.

Absolutely, turn off ESPN and don't turn it back on except for games. That's what I do. But it's not going to make any difference if we do that. We're not all of fandom.

Want to make a difference? Go convince everyone in New York, Chicago, New Hampshire, Colorado, California and Washington to stand with you. Then you might have a chance.

Some fights you just can't win.

Last edited:
But "the fans" isn't a monolithic bloc who all think like you and me.

Our nation is divided in philosophy and outlook. Seriously divided. And there's nothing about liking football that puts fans all on the same side. There are plenty of football fanatics in some parts of this country who truly love and respect ESPN for being such a "brave champion" of causes. They tend to live in those parts of the country I mentioned above.

*shrug* I'm not going all tin foil hat or anything, just recognize the world as it is today. Fans of Rutgers, and the Michigan Wolverines, and the Stanford Cardinal, they don't necessarily dislike ESPN for being heavy on the social commentary.

If we give up football just in the parts of the country that ESPN doesn't care about, that just makes the sport of football more firmly the kind of place where ESPN will thrive. We're not going to hurt them by ignoring the game. They've already discounted our significance to their success. All we'll hurt is ourselves by giving up the game we love.

Absolutely, turn off ESPN and don't turn it back on except for games. That's what I do. But it's not going to make any difference if we do that. We're not all of fandom.

Some fights you just can't win.
My father in law asked me just the other day if football had started yet or when it was supposed to. I didn’t have any answers. To me, that’s my sign that I already don’t care anymore. I can say this honestly, I don’t give a damn if they (meaning the Vols or any of them) ever play again. If it weren’t for the Stocks thread in the Pub Forum, I doubt I’d still be here at all.

This is going to sound very strange, but hear me out for just a minute. I came inside from mowing the yard early last week and needed to cool off so I turned on the TV and because nothing interesting was on, I turned it over to SEC Network and watched a little of the Paul Finebaum show (yes I know that is a divisive topic in and of itself). He had a caller on who was very respectful but did bring up this same topic of the political agenda of Paul's employer (ESPN). The caller mentioned a desire to just talk sports and remove the politics from the conversations. Paul was not defensive about it and rather asked him to follow on questions as if he were doing his own market research on what callers and fans really want. Paul never disparaged the caller or his employer. The caller made excellent points that the politics and so forth are everywhere and on every channel and people just want a place to sometimes escape it and talk sports.

Paul's reaction surprised me so that I started looking into his contract status and future with ESPN. Yes, I know he is a polarizing topic on VN and that is not really my point. It looks like his contract ends at the end of the year and has some potential options and projects lined up, including executive producing a sitcom based on his life. With all of that stated, let me try to land the plane here. The point is that I believe many others feel the same way about ESPN based on the callers that are voicing opinions of too much politics on that network. While ESPN will probably continue to push their agenda, I think that Finebaum is listening.

VN Store

Back