ESPN the lost Network

If you hear lectures and you automatically assume they are talking about you....maybe you need to examine why.
You don’t have to assume they are talking about you to be annoyed at the lectures. Yesterday, they went on a 15 minute lecture during the Memphis game including saying how great it was that Memphis was wearing BLM stickers on their helmet and how no one had ever addressed this before because of fear of what the “white donors” would think. Seriously.

You don’t have to assume they are talking about you to be annoyed at the lectures. Yesterday, they went on a 15 minute lecture during the Memphis game including saying how great it was that Memphis was wearing BLM stickers on their helmet and how no one had ever addressed this before because of fear of what the “white donors” would think. Seriously.

LOL, based on what I've read on in this thread, sounds like a pretty reasonable position.

It has been well documented and discussed that ESPN’s decreasing numbers are due to these very complaints. Yet, they can’t seem to help themselves and deserve what they get.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." —A. Einstein

Here's Herbie's true colors

When Baker Mayfield grabbed his junk and flipped off the opposing crowd, he was "a leader showing passion and energy"

When R. Golden flipped off Bama fans, he needed to be kicked off the team.

To his credit though, when Gaulden called him on it on Twitter Herbie owned it, apologized, and didn’t get defensive or make excuses.

Free market capitalism....you don’t have to watch espn. You can simply turn it off and watch something else or spend your free time doing other things besides watching sports. You can also live stream the games without enduring free speech you object to. ESPN is free to broadcast whatever they want....free market capitalism. If enough people do not tune in and their viewership suffers, then advertisers will start to take action. Until then, be an adult and either watch or don’t watch. It’s called America
You are correct it’s free market capitalism. What I’m saying is a sports channel should not be opinion driven. ESPN completely controls college football including the Vols. I will resort back to radio with ear buds in mowing my two acres On a sunny cool Saturday. It’s not the same without John Ward but it’s still Tennessee Football. There are options without ESPN but not very many. By the way the only game I will listen is when the Vols are on.

Free market capitalism....you don’t have to watch espn. You can simply turn it off and watch something else or spend your free time doing other things besides watching sports. You can also live stream the games without enduring free speech you object to. ESPN is free to broadcast whatever they want....free market capitalism. If enough people do not tune in and their viewership suffers, then advertisers will start to take action. Until then, be an adult and either watch or don’t watch. It’s called America
This is partially true. We can choose not to watch and effect the provider, but it isn't free market capitalism. When a entity can become the sole provider of a product or service through decades of contract monopolizing, free market no longer exists.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Not sure this is political. It's just proof of the wussification of our world.

Or it's proof you're just kinda butthurt that they are having and promoting opinions you don't agree with. I don't believe for a second those of you bellyaching about this would be saying a damn word if they were pushing opinions you agreed with, you'd be the ones talking about how it's their right to say what they are saying.

All this is about what it's always been about, the perspective you're looking at it from.

You are correct it’s free market capitalism. What I’m saying is a sports channel should not be opinion driven. ESPN completely controls college football including the Vols. I will resort back to radio with ear buds in mowing my two acres On a sunny cool Saturday. It’s not the same without John Ward but it’s still Tennessee Football. There are options without ESPN but not very many. By the way the only game I will listen is when the Vols are on.

This is where I exercise the value of the mute feature on my TV remote. I don’t need those clowns telling me what is going on when I can see it with my own eyes.

Now...it would be a bit difficult to do that with radio...

Or it's proof you're just kinda butthurt that they are having and promoting opinions you don't agree with. I don't believe for a second those of you bellyaching about this would be saying a damn word if they were pushing opinions you agreed with, you'd be the ones talking about how it's their right to say what they are saying.

All this is about what it's always been about, the perspective you're looking at it from.
I disagree.. I watch a game for the game, not the the commentary on opinions not related to the game itself. There are plenty of other outlets available to go to for that. Call and talk about the game in hand, save the opinions for the blogs, columns and Twitter.

We all wish this. That it would come around and bite them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that's ever going to happen. ESPN have been pursuing the identity politics angle for many years now, and...nothing. Yes, their ratings are down, but clearly not enough to make them change their minds.

Perhaps the owners are just too rich to worry about it. Once you get up to a certain level of wealth, money becomes unimportant, it's just one of several means to amass power. Power is the thing. Influence, control, leverage. Power.

So perhaps they may be getting less money from ad revenue because they're pissing off a lot of the "little people" like you and me, but still doing really well amassing power where they seek it.

The owners of ESPN, when they look at a map of the globe, maybe it has important terrain, terrain they'd like to control--like the eastern seaboard between DC and Boston, the west coast from LA to Seattle, the population band of eastern Canada, maybe an island here and there in Texas and Florida (Houston, Miami), and then their gaze shifts toward Europe and Asia. Maybe when you have this view of the world, what's happening in all those unimportant bits (like the other half of the US) just doesn't matter.

Many of those “unimportant bits” you refer to are the same areas of the country that were furious about the abolition of slavery, the Civil Rights Movement, educational integration and so on. I remember the contempt for the sanitation workers strike in Memphis, and the march at Selma. “How dare they leave trash in the streets.”, “How dare they block a public bridge”. I remember how many people refused to watch Walter Kronkite and CBS based on their coverage, and editorial opinions regarding civil rights. “If he’s going to interrupt the news with this nonsense, I just won’t watch it”. That seems absurd in retrospect. Saban and Pruitt marched with their players. Coaches support protest. It’s cynical to say the sole reason is economic. They do so because they know the kids and their families and see their suffering. I don’t think Herbstreit was putting on a show. I think he sits beside black friends and colleagues and athletes all day every day. He’s sick of seeing them suffer too. The whole concept of a protest is that it has to be an imposition, or it won’t work. It’s not new to athletics either. Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith and John Carlos all took much stronger and controversial stands than Kaepernick, or Herbstreit. I’m sorry it makes you shift around in your recliner, and think about things you don’t want to think about, but that is exactly what it’s designed to do.

I disagree.. I watch a game for the game, not the the commentary on opinions not related to the game itself. There are plenty of other outlets available to go to for that. Call and talk about the game in hand, save the opinions for the blogs, columns and Twitter.

Sounds like you got a problem then, because the sports world doesn't live in the vacuum you describe. Those are actual people playing the game, not robots and most happen to be of the demographic affected by the issues being presented.

So if that's what you want, then I suggest you go start a network with zero reports, commentators, play by play etc. Just camera operators.

Reactions: dcm3w
Many of those “unimportant bits” you refer to are the same areas of the country that were furious about the abolition of slavery, the Civil Rights Movement, educational integration and so on. I remember the contempt for the sanitation workers strike in Memphis, and the march at Selma. “How dare they leave trash in the streets.”, “How dare they block a public bridge”. I remember how many people refused to watch Walter Kronkite and CBS based on their coverage, and editorial opinions regarding civil rights. “If he’s going to interrupt the news with this nonsense, I just won’t watch it”. That seems absurd in retrospect. Saban and Pruitt marched with their players. Coaches support protest. It’s cynical to say the sole reason is economic. They do so because they know the kids and their families and see their suffering. I don’t think Herbstreit was putting on a show. I think he sits beside black friends and colleagues and athletes all day every day. He’s sick of seeing them suffer too. The whole concept of a protest is that it has to be an imposition, or it won’t work. It’s not new to athletics either. Jim Brown, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith and John Carlos all took much stronger and controversial stands than Kaepernick, or Herbstreit. I’m sorry it makes you shift around in your recliner, and think about things you don’t want to think about, but that is exactly what it’s designed to do.
You don't know my politics. You've made some very wrong assumptions.

But don't let that slow you down. Preach, brother.

This about a billion times.

Sounds like you got a problem then, because the sports world doesn't live in the vacuum you describe. Those are actual people playing the game, not robots and most happen to be of the demographic affected by the issues being presented.

So if that's what you want, then I suggest you go start a network with zero reports, commentators, play by play etc. Just camera operators.
I don't have a problem at all. You are not understanding what I am saying. Talk about the game at hand.. The players, the coaches, the band, etc.. I do not wish to hear the commentators "opinion" on anything other than the game at hand.. I have other outlets to view his opinion.. During a game why can't the focus he on what I stated? Why does that make me have a problem?

The opinions part though really isn’t their job. They should be discussing sports, and that’s it. They have an agenda that’s pretty clear now, and it’s going to bite them.
You're right. It isn't. But everyone has an opinion. I'm not going to boycott something because I hold a different opinion.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I don't have a problem at all. You are not understanding what I am saying. Talk about the game at hand.. The players, the coaches, the band, etc.. I do not wish to hear the commentators "opinion" on anything other than the game at hand.. I have other outlets to view his opinion.. During a game why can't the focus he on what I stated? Why does that make me have a problem?

I mean if you're saying you wish the in game commentators would shut up more, I'm not going to argue with you there. I wish they had a word limit.

But this is getting into you not liking what they are saying, not that they are talking about things non-specific to the game. I mean do they need to stop talking about a player's mom surviving cancer? Is that too much of a sob story? I mean you just said only the game at hand.

Sounds like everyone here are single. I’m married with kids. My family has been getting in the way of me enjoying sports for over 30 years. Instead of Monday Night Football it was Little House on the Prairie(Or something like that.). Instead of MLB it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles. Hockey was hardly ever even on, Golf got replaced by Strawberry Shortcake.

With the Vols there aren’t that many games, so I try to attend as many as possible, watch, listen, or get updates when needed.

It’s not the end of the world that injustice is being brought up on every format available.

After all we were all created equal nothing wrong with us treating each other that way.

You shouldn’t talk politics without religion.

VN Store

Back