Tennessee shuts practice down for Covid-19 reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soyou believe in lett9ng people die with no attempt to prevent and save infection and death. i f you are a physician, you took an oath to protect and cure people to the best of youyr ability. While it is true that people will die someday, people in the medical fiel msut do everything possible to prevent, treat and cure adverse medical conditions when ever possible.
So when a plane crashes we stop flying? When someone dies of a heart attack we stop playing? When someone dies of old age we stop aging?

GTFO

Yeah because not testing will make it go away...

I'm speaking from personal experience. I've had workers back in the plant full time since May 4. 500 employees working 5-6 days per week. That's approximately 400,000 hrs of working time together. We went until May 28 before 1st case with no spreading. Since then we've had 7 more cases and no spreading. All 8 cases were contracted outside our plant. We've conducted over 400 tests during the last 3 months and NO ONE has been positive. Also the thermometer test is a joke! Not one of the 8 cases would I have caught them before entering the plant because none of them ran a fever!

Between October 1, 2019 and April 4, 2020, according to the CDC, the flu has resulted in: 39 million to 56 million illnesses. 410,000 to 740,000 hospitalizations. 24,000 to 62,000 total deaths as of Jun 2, 2020

This whole thing is BS, Political and an absolute freaking joke. They've renamed the flu and social media and the news have blown it out of proportions! Just my personal experience and opinion so any of you who try and argue this point with me or say well look at ..... can GTFO because I don't believe anything different now!

To be clear I'm Not trying to be insensitive to anyone who has someone die from anything however people die, it's a fact.

Soyou believe in lett9ng people die with no attempt to prevent and save infection and death. i f you are a physician, you took an oath to protect and cure people to the best of youyr ability. While it is true that people will die someday, people in the medical fiel msut do everything possible to prevent, treat and cure adverse medical conditions when ever possible.
Quite the opposite, actually. The lockdown has caused an incalculable amount of suffering and death, as well -- suicide, delayed diagnosis/treatment, poverty, hunger, mental health disorders, etc. Also, I am quite certain that mortality from CV19 infection will increase if we don't approach herd immunity before flu/respiratory season. Hospitals are always at capacity mid-winter, and they could very well become overburdened this year.

It requires some critical thinking, rather than knee-jerk reactions, but lockdowns very well could prove to cost more lives than saved.

I just don't see how we are going to be able to complete the season. I want football to be played as bad as anyone. But, I just don't see how. I mean if you have a game on Saturday and you have 15 starters test positive. There is no way you are going to have a chance to win the game. What type of a win or loss is it when you beat someone with most of their starters out do to this Covid crap? Do we just count this season or what we play of it as practice games?
Testing positive and someone actually having it is starting to be a problem. We hear about all these new cases while them being asymptomatic. I'm now thinking these tests aren't actually accurate at all.

Reactions: whodeycin85

The vaccine is more likely to be short lived, like the flu vaccine, than the polio vaccine. Jmo. Besides, do we even have a vaccine available? Not to my knowledge.

If you know of one, please post a link. I really enjoy reading about these things. And not the trial ones, ive read all those. Im looking for the one that’s been proven and ready for distribution, where clinical results have proven it works.

I can't disagree with you because this virus could mutate (though it would likely mutate weaker) rendering a previous vaccine in effective. We can't be 100 percent sure of viral stability, so yes the corona virus vaccine may end up being seasonal and if that is the case then a vaccine would only be 50 to 75 percent effective.

As far as I know all vaccines are still in trial. Trump is supposedly going to fast track one through AstraZeneca, but still no sure time table for this.

Kiddiedoc made some good points about this earlier though in as far as herd immunity has already likely been achieved naturally in some places of the world, even in NYC. I know the stats say that 5 million plus have been infected in this country, but the numbers are for sure much, much higher than that because most people infected show little to no symptoms. maybe between 50 and 100 million have already had it? If the virus is fairly stable then even in this country we are on our way to natural herd immunity.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
My own non-medical opinion is that there are three kinds of people in this world: 1. Those who have already had C19, 2. Those who have it now, and 3. Those who will catch it. It's a virus. It's not going anywhere.

All the lock downs and shutdowns simply prolong the inevitable. Attention must be paid to make sure hospitals don't get overwhelmed, and the particularly vulnerable need to be protected. But otherwise life should go on.

But, given the current political and social climate regarding the virus, particularly among college administrators, my bet is that the season gets cancelled before it gets underway.

Maybe within the next month they will listen to the CDC and not test people unless they have symptoms so we can forget about it all.

Has MLB not found positive tests in significant numbers to be wrong?? For the most part test are proving to be a problem in dealing with this mess. Just heard last night, I think it was, that they now have a 15 min. test. To me that just allows quicker confusion.

A positive test does not directly correlate to actually having the virus. There have been and are SO many false positives, some folks, have tested positive three times and the fourth test says they're okay. I think the staff seems to be taking the best approach, test, quarantine if necessary, then push on to the conclusion of practices. The hand wringing hide under the bed atomic bomb "KILL THE SEASON!!!!" reaction is not what seems to be occurring on The Hill. I'm happy with the adult manner in which UTAD is approaching this issue.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
My own non-medical opinion is that there are three kinds of people in this world: 1. Those who have already had C19, 2. Those who have it now, and 3. Those who will catch it. It's a virus. It's not going anywhere.

All the lock downs and shutdowns simply prolong the inevitable. Attention must be paid to make sure hospitals don't get overwhelmed, and the particularly vulnerable need to be protected. But otherwise life should go on.

But, given the current political and social climate regarding the virus, particularly among college administrators, my bet is that the season gets cancelled before it gets underway.

Really like and agree with everything you say - - - BUT the last half of your last sentence. The amins you speak of WANT the money from football and any other sports that TV will bring in. If their bean counters say basketball revenue from only TV will make money, they will play. If they say tiddly winks will make money from TV revenue, HEL- YEAH let's play!!!!

No consistent testing is driving the fear train and holding up progress. If someone isn’t sick there is no reason to test.

Except for the person they give it to who could be very vulnerable to it, I don’t understand why that is so hard for some of you to grasp. Most athletes aren’t going to die from it, that is a given, but their parents or grandparents might which is the whole point of being able to trace it. Some of you possess zero logical thinking skills

Reactions: overseasorange2
You call that article weak, but it was based off medical research. The statements made were from medical research. The quotes the article used to summarize the study were verbatim from the study. Nothing weak about that. Also I double checked and not one contributor was from the WHO. The Royal Society of Medicine is funded by the people and donations. The review process of journal entries and publications is conducted Internally by members of the Royal Society of Medicine.

Also the Netherlands has 17.28 million people.
Sweden as 10 mil
The other countries you downplayed have 5 mil each. So they’re all statistically the different in size.
Yet when you even the playing field by reporting in per million people (pmp) Sweden is only behind the UK in deaths pmp out of all the countries you mentioned and the medical community mentioned. The UK has 30 million people btw.

Please post the link to your statistics so I can read them myself. I really enjoy reading this type of stuff.
Sweden: coronavirus cases by age | Statista

Sweden: coronavirus deaths by age | Statista

We would expect Sweden to have consequences for not locking down because there is a more immediate cost for a place that does not lockdown. But the cost wasn't actually that great if you really break down who died and when. Around 70 percent of all deaths in Sweden were people in elderly care homes or services. This article describes that phenomenon from back in Stockholm City’s Elderly Care and Covid19: Interview with Barbro Karlsson
Since the first few months though, they have protected the elderly better and vóila, the death rate has gone down significantly. coronavirus sweden - Google Search

It all points to them forming a herd immunity right now and on top of that, they are showing that as long as you are able to protect the vulnerable then everybody else can for the most part go live their lives.

You see the same with New York. High deaths with elderly people early and now next to zero deaths a day. Now in the south the peak is behind us and the numbers are slowing down as the young rebel and spread it.

Here's one of the scientists pointing towards the 20% threshold for herd immunity.

Karl Friston: up to 80% not even susceptible to Covid-19 - UnHerd

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Except for the person they give it to who could be very vulnerable to it, I don’t understand why that is so hard for some of you to grasp. Most athletes aren’t going to die from it, that is a given, but their parents or grandparents might which is the whole point of being able to trace it. Some of you possess zero logical thinking skills
And the vast majority of the elderly percent of them aren't dying either, so what's your point. The vast overwhelming majority that have sadly died are in nursing homes. And many of them got listed as dying with covid even if they had terminal cancer or other things. They need to be keeping elderly with conditions away from the dangers more than anything. As a society we can't stay inside forever, it's time to open and continue to monitor and tell the elderly that have conditions to stay away from any potential crowds that may get them infected. Again the VAST 99 percent that get it are going to get a virus for a few days and it's gone. Some never even know they have it. Most all countries are opening up, some regrettably just don't want us to open up period, but most people have had enough of the madness and misinformation. We know the elderly need to be protected, but as a free society we must continue to move forward. Things are opening up, pray to Jesus for the number to continue to go down and use common sense. But shame on the folks leading fear and misleading statements on covid. Hopefully in a few more months between the plasma and finding a vaccine we will further destroy the covid into oblivion. This too shall pass. GBO and God Bless!

Its funny you say that. I have been going to a Cardiologist for a couple months now due to heart complications from Covid. So it has thrust me into doing a lot of research. I have also met with 30 cardiologists ove that time due to the rare nature of my current condition. I will have surgery soon btw.

The point I am trying to get to is that they all have given me recommendations for medical journals. I have read quite a few. Also 29/30 of those doctors, 2 graduated from Harvard medical school, say we need to quasi-lock down, wear masks to protect the people surrounding us, and social distance to drive this thing down.

I see three doctors at Vanderbilt, and all three say the same thing as your doctors. Any medical person who tries to minimize COVID is in a small minority of doctors and researchers and their opinions should be ignored.

What do you think quarantine is for?

I'm not saying that, at all. I'm saying that locking down only delays the inevitable and causes MASSIVE collateral damage.”

When someone presents (exclusively) one side of an argument across multiple conversations, it becomes difficult to believe that your cause is objectivity. In every COVID-19 related thread you’ve presented cherry-picked subsets of data in a highly manipulative fashion. Pretending otherwise, strains credulity. Your collage of data on mask usage is highly-biased, and ignores mainstream science on the matter. Your original position on shutdowns stated that communities that shutdown fared much worse than those that did not. Your argument was made as a doctor, but now you’re claiming other “collateral damage”. Is the damage economic, psychological? What’s your expertise in those fields? The danger of course is not that you’re some simpleton at the gas station presenting these biased opinions, but that you’re in a position of power and influence in in an area of public health. That makes your claims all the more dangerous. The data isn't particularly ambiguous on these topics, but you’re doing your best to sow doubt anyway. Being in your position, I find that particularly reckless.

Exceptions shouldn’t be the rule. So should we test everyone for pneumonia? How about TB? How about MRSA? How about meningitis? Those things can easily kill healthy and the vulnerable. Yet where is the mass call for testing?

All these tests are doing is causing problems. Your logic fails because you are using exceptions and what if scenarios to prove the rule.

Any medical person who tries to minimize COVID is in a small minority of doctors and researchers and their opinions should be ignored.

You're right, buddy: ignoring doctors who are actually seeing and treating patients, just because they have a differing opinion, is usually a good way to figure out the best approach when handling a novel infection.

Out of curiosity, what is the magic solution proposed by your illustrious Vandy physicians? Holding out for a vaccine that nobody is going to take, or is the virus going to expire on Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
@Stoerner Fumbles

What do you mean by "cherry picking?" Since you mentioned "masks," are you aware that we have known for decades that they don't block viral transmission? No doctors anywhere were suggesting to use them during respiratory season, or they would have been laughed off by their colleagues. Here is a little collection of the "science" that you think doesn't exist:
Take Your Masks Off: That’s What THE Science Says

Amazingly, in real-world experience, we are three weeks into school and tons of kids are snotty, infected with strep, and running fevers. That certainly doesn't say much for the utility of their mandated cloth masks. You might also read over the data in California since their statewide mask mandate in mid June.

I see three doctors at Vanderbilt, and all three say the same thing as your doctors. Any medical person who tries to minimize COVID is in a small minority of doctors and researchers and their opinions should be ignored.
Are these doctors also factoring in things outside their control like increases in suicide, hunger, abuse, etc. How about the economic devastation caused by a shutdown and how that affects physical/mental/ emotional health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back