Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to know more about your back to see if I can help. Email me at jkay@arlingtonortho.com if you want to.
I need to know your history of back injuries. Any treatment (successful or not), complete description of your pain. Location, isolated or travels (radicular) any numbness or weakness, what makes it better, what makes it worse(nothing and everything are not helpful).
What you do for work (sedentary, manual labor, heavy equipment, warehouse, etc.)
Newdz sent

From Rob Lewis on Rick Barnes Zoom Meeting:

Feels like this is going to be his most athletic team at Tennessee. Feels like they have a chance to break a great defensive team. Depth and athleticism will let them pressure the way he wants to pressure people.

Biggest thing for Johnson and Springer right now is to get in shape. Both talented enough to contribute early.

Says that the way they've had to work this summer has been like going to the driving range and the putting green all for two months without ever getting to actually play golf.

Josiah's biggest improvement has been with his flexibility, much improved from last year where Rick thought he was a little stiff. Expects to play him 'all over the court.'

Bailey, Vescovi, Springer and James can all play some PG, wants guys to rebound it and go, happy to have several who can do that.

Really positive comments about Anosike, very high on him.

Said Nkamhoua has had a great offseason, was really complimentary of him and the improvement he's made.

Feels like Uros is in much better condition, has to stop dribbling so much and learn to play lower.

Says Santiago probably had the best summer of anyone b/c he didn't have the same restrictions they were working with here and got to play against good competition everyday.

Fulkerson and Pons both doing a better job of stepping up as leaders. As only two seniors on the team important that they do that.

Corey Walker has to get in better shape.

Cautioned that he didn't know anything for sure and everything is preliminary but optimistic they will start season on time, Nov. 11. Added that it was all hypothetical, but with school being out after Thanksgiving and for all of December college basketball could do some sort of 'bubble situation ' if necessary.

They really need Uros to work his way into significant minutes as the defense can be so much better with a rim protector, which will allow them the luxury of extending defensive pressure, something they lacked last season without a Kyle Alexander swatting shots away from the rim.

Re: Receivers

I like Ramel Keyton too and I think he’ll be okay. In recent years I’ve raised questions about the quality of our wide receivers, particularly as it regards to consistency of play, and more specifically in their ability to consistently get separation from the defensive backs against some of the elite teams we face year in and year out that are routinely sending defensive backs to the draft.

Take Jalin Hyatt, Malachi Wideman, or Deangelo Gibbs. I don’t think they’ve really learned much of anything here yet. What? They had 3 acclimation practices and one scrimmage. Whatever they have they brought with them. I don’t think they learned it here. jmo.

Sean Payton last week when talking about Marquez Callaway said he wasn’t coming in with the normal foundation they’d expect from receivers coming out of college. Now he could have meant something different by that but I took it as possibly a slight to his college preparation. jmo.

There are said to be a number of “critical factors” to consider when evaluating wide receivers. Obviously being able to consistently catch the ball is first and foremost. So good hands and part of that I think is also having a large catch radius, and this I think goes beyond length, meaning being able to catch high throws, low throws, throws behind you, and throws in front of you.

The second quality found in an elite wide receiver is route running ability. This is a skill set and can mostly be taught and obviously is. My complaint about our receivers of late had everything to do with their route running ability. It is claimed that in a high-level route-runner, we'll see things like quick feet, great balance, the flexibility in their lower body to change direction and the speed to accelerate away from defenders. Agility plays a big factor in arguably every position on the football field and especially so with the skill positions on offense. What types of cuts are they making? Are they sharp or round? Do they demonstrate body flexibility, quickness off break? Do they show the ability to gather and cut?

Elite wide receivers are able to change direction without slowing down, and are shifty enough when there is room to run that they can create separation from defenders and then accelerate away from tacklers. Images of Alvin Kamara or Eric Gray doing this has to be burned in to most of our brains by now. In fact I have read from some scouts that being an elite wide receiver is equal parts being a good pass catcher and being a good running back (see Jauan Jennings, ultimate power back), thanks to their open-field ability and penchant for picking up yards post-catch.

Their speed doesn’t have to be elite, but with elite acceleration, quickness and vision they become extremely dangerous in the open field. Speed alone may not make them elite in anything except being able to run fast. It wasn’t lost on me that recently in this very thread someone posted that the Chicago Bears were considering giving Cordarrelle Patterson a look at running back. It’s my understanding that his weakness as a receiver has always been learning the routes/playbook so the challenge has been, how do you get the dang ball into his hands, which is what you desperately want to do and as often as possible.

There are a number of other critical factors that various scouts look at. Perhaps surprisingly enough most don’t seem to care all that much about the receiver’s blocking ability. Most seem to focus on athletic ability. Things like quickness off LOS, release, ability to escape the jam and gain separation, quickness in and out of cuts and separation quickness. What about their agility? Do they run fluid routes with sharp cuts as opposed to rounding them out? Do they have the ability/flexibility to turn & adjust their bodies to keep in balance, stay in control?

Jauan Jennings strongest asset in my opinion was his ball skills, his strength, and his competitiveness, all critical factors for a wide receiver. Whether it was the acrobatic catch he made in the 2016 game against Florida or the Hail Mary catch against Georgia that same year, Jauan was tremendous. He had the ability to play the ball and fight for the ball in air. Throughout his entire time here he demonstrated elite physical and mental toughness and intensity. He was clutch, win at all costs, wanted to be the best, played with confidence & aggressiveness, wanted to be the man in charge with the game on line. Those are the characteristics that made him exceptional. jmo.

I thought Brandon Johnson had some flashes in 2017 and Tyler Byrd has some moments in his time with us but for whatever reason we’ve yet to see that much of Brandon of late (I know he redshirted last year) and really never saw all that much playing time for Tyler. I’ve seen Palmer make some amazing catches but other than Jennings I’ve not thought we had guys that had that much of an overall skill set that was on consistent display. jmo.

Which is why I’m excited about our receivers this year, in particular the guys we haven’t seen yet. I think we have some experience with Palmer, Brandon, Ramel, and Cedric. Obviously, Velus is a senior but I’m really talking about Gibbs, Wideman, Hyatt, Calloway, and Holiday, and to some extent Beckwith, though I’m thinking Dee may get some work at TE. We’ll see. Anyway, the common thread of all those guys is exceptional athletic ability. Last year one of the local writers claimed that it was clear to see that Gibbs was the best athlete on our team, on both sides of the ball, which given some of the guys we have I thought was pretty high praise. All of the new guys are loaded with extreme athletic talent. jmo.

Maybe in the past we haven’t had a ton of success recruiting a lot of guys with the athletic talent that can consistently compete with the DBs at Florida, Georgia, and/or the Alabama’s we face year after year but that in my opinion has now changed dramatically. I don’t know how good of a coach Tee Martin is but I know if you recruit 5-star receivers to USC or most anywhere else it’s more likely they’re going to get drafted than not regardless of whether you add anything to their development or not. jmo.

From my observations I think it’s obvious that Pruitt is on a mission to upgrade all of the position groups on our football team. So far he’s had the most success arguably with the offensive line but he’s really having success across the board and I and obviously others think that with the 2020 class of receivers we’re in for a huge upgrade in the on-field performance of our receiving group. jmo.

Our quarterbacks typically grade out on average far far better against teams with lesser secondary talent than they do against teams with superior (NFL caliber) secondary talent. That goes for most quarterbacks everywhere. It takes all position groups possessing the talent and operating at a high level to compete against the best and I think we’re making tremendous progress getting to that point. jmo.

Great stuff here! Hey remember though, Gibbs has been here an entire year and practiced with the team all last season, he just wasn't eligible to play. That may be one reason he's projected as a possible starter...

giphy.gif
247 guys said VJJ should still be viewed as a legit option as well in the rotation and would sub in Brandon Johnson for Gibbs as of now. Hyatt too good to keep out of the starting 3, though still learning ofc.

Mentioned it was not in pads or a full scrimmage, just a regular 11 on 11 part of practice...making 4 TDs even crazier 😃

247 guys said VJJ should still be viewed as a legit option as well in the rotation and would sub in Brandon Johnson for Gibbs as of now. Hyatt too good to keep of the front 3, though still learning ofc. Mentioned it was a regular 11 on 11 part of practice, not in pads...but also not even a full length thing, making 4 TDs even crazier 😃
Thought that was wideman with the 4 TDs?

In 2015 we were ranked #25 in the preseason AP poll. I remember because at the time I was working on my last project in industry and was living in Ann Arbor. Anyway, lots of football fans in the offices I was working at. In those days if you had an Apple phone which I did and you asked Siri which was the best college football team in the country, Siri would pick whichever team was ranked #25. Once I discovered that interesting feature I think I had to show it to all of my Michigan and Ohio State friends and in some cases I may have shown it to some people more than once, or twice. I may have even been a bit obnoxious about it. That was fun. lol.

Hey Siri, which is the best team in all of college football?

Siri: That would be the Tennessee Volunteers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back