Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you what I was wearing.

Manning jersey with white long sleeves, beat up jeans and my cleats on. I was ready to play.

Now I’m 30 and can barely move.

I was still in my church league basketball jersey. I had a game that evening and got home in time for the start of the 2nd quarter

As for the current team, JT Shrout has impressed some around the program and is being viewed as a viable candidate if Jarrett Guarantano were to struggle or miss time. Brian Maurer flashes but has had to many mental busts for the liking of many.

Freshman Jaylin Hyatt continues to impress and did so with a nice start to fall camp in the first two practices. Hyatt continues to show he is more than just a fast kid as he impresses with a solid overall game.

Also impressing early in fall camp is Jahmir Johnson who has not only put on but kept on added weight over the summer months. He is over 300 pounds and is pushing Wanya Morris on the left side.

One position change of note is JJ Peterson who has moved to outside backer. Peterson has trimmed up some over the summer and with solid athletic ability, the staff is hoping he can find more success off the edge.
-VQ.

Buddy, there’s too much to look forward to to get hung up on this. People are saying similar things about Keon Johnson, so get excited about the players we do have. Living life based around “what could have been“ only makes you more miserable.
If catbone weren't miserable, he would unable to spread so much cheer to his fellow man.

My wife has embraced my garage gym. We'll see how she does in the winter time.
Luckily mine is in the bottom half of my man cave. It has heat but when I used to live in a condo my gym was in the garage and yes, I layered up during the winter time for sure. My wife would not embrace a cold gym. Ha.

In a radio interview or podcast I believe it was Austin Price who was talking about how impressive Hyatt has been. Said the coaches knew he had speed, and could stretch the field, but have been surprised to find that he’s a complete WR who can do it all.
I believe ATL vol said at one point the coaches were very impressed with Wideman as well. Sounds like we have some game breaking Freshamn at reciever

Good news on a viable QB option behind JG, in case things don’t click when the lights go on. Great news on Jahmir! That kid is nasty. If he can keep the weight on, he could play his way into a late round draft pick. We have a serious OL. I noticed Spraggins looks fantastic in the short video clips and moves extremely well.

Good for them. Nebraska needs to be back to mid 90s form and Tennessee needs to be better than that. Still hurts to this day watching the Nebraska game in 97. I was 7 and was crying like a b**** in my cousins basement in the 3rd quarter.

The crying was one of the uncontrollable breathing episodes most kids have for some reason.

I was at that game. We were totally outclassed physically. We went into the game thinking that we would dazzle them with our speed but they simply dominated us with their physicality. It was the last of Osborne's steroid loaded teams. Remember how Nebraska use to rave about their great "walk-on" program. They averaged 3-4 starters a year who were walk-ons. But they were doing it with the juice. Kids would walk on at 200 lbs and graduate at 250. More that that, look at all of the players they had in the 80's and 90's who would be dominating players in college and couldn't even see the field in the NFL even with their minimal testing programs at the time.

Now with comprehensive testing they don't have any walk-ons that make it and they've sucked for the last 20 years.

I think many if not most fans think the rebuilding of our football team is coming along pretty well. Obviously, last year we should have won our first 2 games and as a minimum ended the season with a 10-3 record but that's water under the bridge. I think it should however be remembered when thinking about how far we've come. Those 2 games were outliers and I'm not the only one who shares that view. A week or two ago I went back and studied those first 2 games and I came to the conclusion that our defense lost those games for us. Our offense wasn't great but 30 points in my opinion should have been enough to beat Georgia State. How does our defense, which didn't even seem to know how to line up right, give up 38 points to those guys? Against BYU it was the defense that allowed BYU to go for broke and get us into overtime when we essentially had the game won near the end of the 4th quarter. jmo.

Eventually the defense got on track and started winning games for us and was the key to our current winning streak. In fact this year some analysts think with normal progression we'll have a better defense than Alabama. Nobody is yet saying anything of the kind about our offense. To play with the elite teams in our conference we need a complete team. I think with this staff the strength of our team is likely to always be on the defensive side and since old-school conventional wisdom is that defense wins not just road games but also championships that a good thing. jmo.

On offense (or defense for that matter) we need every position group to excel in talent, performance, and coaching. I agree with AV in that I think our receiver group is likely going to surprise a lot of people this year. We obviously have a top notch group on the offensive line. Our running backs should be better so we have remaining questions at QB and TE. We need to figure those out and if Pruitt, as he told Phil Steele recently, thinks he can play with anyone in the conference this year, and I believe he can, then I'm guessing he's got a plan. jmo.

That being said and looking forward, I wanted to look at how well we've done or not done in recent years against our number one nemesis in the conference. This is a look at our offensive performance vs Alabama's defense for the past 11 years. This I think is what informs most people's opinion of our football team year in and year out but if we're going to beat teams like Alabama I think it's going to start with our defense stifling their offense which I think we may be able to do this year. To win though we're going to need to be able to put a minimum number of points on the scoreboard and I think we'll throw the kitchen sink at the Alabama defense this year in order to try to do just that. Not many rational people are going to figure us to beat Alabama this year and the reason is because of the tables posted below. I'm not in that group and the reason is because as I posted sometime ago I think this year's football team is likely the most complete team we have put on the field since 2001. I'm optimistic we can shock the world this year and that would be a very good thing to do. jmo.

ScreenHunter 554.png

ScreenHunter 555.png

ScreenHunter 558.png

ScreenHunter 556.png

Good news on a viable QB option behind JG, in case things don’t click when the lights go on. Great news on Jahmir! That kid is nasty. If he can keep the weight on, he could play his way into a late round draft pick. We have a serious OL. I noticed Spraggins looks fantastic in the short video clips and moves extremely well.

Shrout has always been the better QB option but he was still trying to make some throws like he was back in High School. I suppose that is why he had such a short leash last year because they were trying to break him of bad habits. If he is the viable option behind JG that must mean he has corrected those habits. He floats the pocket nicely and can throw the ball from anywhere.... see the throw to Marquez he threw that off his back foot.

JJP as OLB seems like it was obvious. If he is struggling with mental game so much but clearly from highlights in HS he was explosive off edge in clips I saw. Just tell him to go get the QB
I’d be happy to see him making plays on kickoffs at this point. Good for him if he can put it together

In a radio interview or podcast I believe it was Austin Price who was talking about how impressive Hyatt has been. Said the coaches knew he had speed, and could stretch the field, but have been surprised to find that he’s a complete WR who can do it all.

A few days before fall camp started I spent a good bit of time going back over all the information about our 2020 class and one of the things that stood out to me in the consensus assessment of Jalin Hyatt was the praise he had coming out of high school for his route running ability which I posted about at the time.

I’ve spent a few days going back over our incoming class (freshmen) and while much of what we hear in the recruiting/signing process is hype I wanted to try to identify based on team needs which freshmen will potentially have the best opportunity this year for immediate impact.

I have 3 candidates. I already think Mays and Gibbs will be a factor so this is just focusing on the freshmen. My guys are Hyatt, Lawrence, and Joseph. The truth is we have a slew of guys who could really elevate our team but I wanted to whittle my candidates now to a limited few.

I like Baron as a pass rusher but as I understand it he doesn’t yet have any pass coverage skills so Joseph who has already developed that skill set gets the edge at linebacker. I think the middle is probably going to be manned by some combination of HT, Crouch, Banks, and Peterson, so Eason which could be an immediate impact guy in the middle may have a steeper climb to make.

Jalin Hyatt has received a lot of favorable press for his route running ability and since by most accounts he’s the 2nd fastest guy in the entire conference I think he gets the edge over Calloway, Wideman, and Holiday, any or all three of which could also emerge as major factors based on their impressive athletic talent. I just think Hyatt is potentially farther along in developing his ability as a route runner and so that’s the reason for my pick here.

Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back