Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitated to provide an update on Drew. I don’t know why. I think because I was utterly rattled yesterday. I fasted all day and have never spent so much time in prayer. But seeing folks with the hashtag touched me. Here goes...

Drew had a 4-hr surgery on his spine and brain yesterday evening and afternoon. They sampled the tumor and installed a shunt to redirect the fluid buildup. We will wait for the pathology report, but early indications are not good. It appears to be in an extensive malignant process and a lot of spinal tumors are hard to operate on, and this type may not respond to chemo.

He was a shook little boy yesterday, but after he knocked the anaesthesia hangover, he told his dad that he believed God was bringing him closer to Him. How amazing is THAT! He has made a profession of faith, for that I rejoice.
This is the little boy you guys are praying for (taken two years ago in Neyland)...
View attachment 300902
🧡#LiftUpDrew🧡
Continued prayers for a complete healing

Actually 4th Sat this year...Oct 3 Missouri, Oct 10 Georgia, Oct 17 Kentucky, Oct 24 Alabama
Fun fact: It's been the 4th Saturday as many times as the 3rd Saturday the last 10 years.

2010: 4th
2011: 4th
2012: 3rd
2013: 4th
2014: 4th
2015: 4th
2016: 3rd
2017: 3rd
2018: 3rd
2019: 3rd

I hesitated to provide an update on Drew. I don’t know why. I think because I was utterly rattled yesterday. I fasted all day and have never spent so much time in prayer. But seeing folks with the hashtag touched me. Here goes...

Drew had a 4-hr surgery on his spine and brain yesterday evening and afternoon. They sampled the tumor and installed a shunt to redirect the fluid buildup. We will wait for the pathology report, but early indications are not good. It appears to be in an extensive malignant process and a lot of spinal tumors are hard to operate on, and this type may not respond to chemo.

He was a shook little boy yesterday, but after he knocked the anaesthesia hangover, he told his dad that he believed God was bringing him closer to Him. How amazing is THAT! He has made a profession of faith, for that I rejoice.
This is the little boy you guys are praying for (taken two years ago in Neyland)...
View attachment 300902
🧡#LiftUpDrew🧡

I can't imagine how tough this is. Prayers for Drew and family.

An insert from the article about LSU

The former boyfriend redshirted his freshman year and said he steered clear of Guice because “I probably would have lost my (expletive) on him.” But he said LSU head football coach Ed Orgeron brought up the subject of his then-girlfriend and Guice about a year after the alleged assault, telling the athlete that he shouldn’t be bothered by it.
“(Orgeron) said, ‘Everybody’s girlfriend sleeps with other people,’” the former player told USA TODAY.
Coach O knows they all hos

Reactions: Volsdeep4

View attachment 300902
🧡#LiftUpDrew🧡
Wow...that is true faith. Reading that gave me the same feeling I had as when I would see my mother praising the Lord over and over even as the cancer was killing her. 😭

Wow...that is true faith. Reading that gave me the same feeling I had as when I would see my mother praising the Lord over and over even as the cancer was killing her. 😭

McGill, my brother said he was in agony after the surgery but heard a nearby baby in an ICU screaming and he voiced a bold and loud prayer for God to heal that baby 😭🙌🏻

There’s bait floating in here. Don’t take it.
tenor.gif

Yes I admit I have absolutely no patience! Metal drives by w "good news coming"but not even a hi nt of what type or when said good news may arrive.
I need to know soon..
Keep your pants on. Demanding something from someone that already has zero reasoning to feed us info other than just being a VFL, is downright immature. Don’t be that one guy that ruins it for everyone else.

Pruitt repeated something Monday that he has said before a number of times, they chart each and every throw our QBs make, whether in practice or in a game. They would tend to be more accurate than PFF for the simple reason that they, unlike PFF, knows exactly what the QB is supposed to be doing on every single throw. Anyway, I really do believe they're going to put the QB on the field that gives us the best chance to win. If HB or one of the other guys move ahead of JG to claim the starting job, at least at the outset, I'm figuring they will have earned it. If JG is replaced at some point in the first game, I will figure he will have lost it. It's going to play out the way it's going to go and I tend to think our coaches will do their objective best to manage the situation. jmo.

So I think in one of the more recent days there was a bit of a ruckus when PFF came out with their rankings for all 130 projected starting QBs in FBS this year. I went back and pulled PFF's rankings of JG for last year, pre and post season, and cut out the rankings for all the QBs we're expected to face this year, along with JG.. My concern with JG is he may have a low ceiling and thus that would limit how far we can go this year. I may not be right about that but clearly a lot of other fans seem to share that assessment. Time will tell if he proves us all wrong. It's happened before and I think most all of us would love for it to happen again, this year in fact. jmo.

PFF Rankings: College starting quarterback rankings for 2019, August 13, 2019

21. Tennessee: Jarrett Guarantano
During the 2018 season, Guarantano's performance against Kentucky was the highest-graded single-game outing among returning quarterbacks. He showcased what made him such a highly-touted recruit as the No. 1 dual-threat QB from New Jersey and the No. 2 player overall from his state. His marked improvement from 2017 to 2018 gives reason for hope of a big season in Knoxville this year.

PFF Rankings: Final college football starting quarterback rankings, January 14,2020

80. Jarrett Guarantano, Brian Maurer – Tennessee
Preseason Rank: 21; Week 6 Rank: 115; Week 12 Rank: 87
Someone with all the talent in the world, Guarantano couldn’t quite get things rolling in a consistent fashion in 2019. He all too often followed up an amazing game with a dud, and not once this season did he have a repeat performance of the two game grades above 66.0. His highs were among the best in the country with two games above 90.0 overall, but some of his lows rivaled those among the worst in the nation, as he saw four single-game grades lower than 48.0. He’s a career 60.0% completion percentage kind of guy, and that was similar in 2019, but he’s yet to finish a season with a passing grade in our elite grade range despite teasing it in multiple games during his career. If he plays a full season at his highest capacity, Guarantano breaks the top 10 among all quarterbacks. Can that happen in 2020, please?

PFF - 2020 College Football Quarterback Rankings: Projected starters on our schedule including JG.

3. JAMIE NEWMAN, GEORGIA
There might not be a more underrated player in college football than Newman, who is set to join Georgia from Wake Forest. Wake didn't cater to Newman's arm talent as much as it should have, as they instead relied heavily on his athleticism in the ground attack. Newman's mobility is a great attribute, but his arm talent is far superior. His touch downfield is arguably the best in the country, and it was instrumental in him producing the second-best deep (20-plus-yard throws) passing grade among Power 5 quarterbacks. The new Georgia signal-caller wasn't necessarily in an ideal situation at Wake Forest, given his usage, the RPO-heavy offense and the lack of separators in the receiving unit. He actually had to throw into a tight window at a higher rate than any quarterback in the country, yet he overcame that and earned the second-best passing grade on such throws. Now, Newman will go to a Todd Monken-led offense at Georgia that will cater to his strengths and is boosted by an incredible supporting cast. Dawg nation is in line for a lot of success with Newman — and not J.T. Daniels — under center.

16. KELLEN MOND, TEXAS A&M
Mond plays exceptionally well on the move. He's put up a 75.0 rushing grade and 1,368 yards on the ground since 2018, and he has also produced the fourth-best grade in the FBS when throwing from outside the pocket. That said, he falls to 16th here due to his inconsistencies from inside the pocket. Mond has actually earned a higher grade outside the pocket than inside the last two years, which isn't common at all. Perhaps we will see an improvement in this regard as he enters his third year in Jimbo Fisher's difficult pro-style offense.

24. MAC JONES, ALABAMA
Jones is no Tua Tagovailoa, but he's more than capable of leading Alabama's loaded offense to success. He is a sharp decision-maker — he had only four turnover-worthy throws last year — and he has the ability to tie his feet and eyes together to get through reads. There is, however, one glaring concern we have with Jones going into his first year as the Crimson Tide starter: His negatively graded play rate on throws from a clean pocket (screen passes excluded) ranked 131st of 150 FBS quarterbacks. It's a relatively small sample, but it is something to keep in mind.

36. JARRETT GUARANTANO, TENNESSEE
Accuracy is a massive issue with Guarantano — in terms of accuracy rate, he actually ranks last among FBS quarterbacks with at least 160 pass attempts that traveled 10 or more yards since 2018. He has, however, taken very good care of the football. Since 2018, his turnover-worthy play rate ranks 11th of 90 FBS quarterbacks. Just as we said in the PFF College Magazine, Guarantano commands the offense and understands timing and footwork; he just needs to find some consistency within his play. His accuracy is likely going to remain unchanged at this stage in his career.

48. KYLE TRASK, FLORIDA
Trask displayed dependable accuracy (11th in FBS in accurate pass rate beyond the line of scrimmage), which again is the top trait you want in a quarterback, but also had really poor decision-making. He had a -13 differential in big-time throws and turnover-worthy plays last year (9:22), which was tied for fourth-worst in the country. For perspective, only two other SEC quarterbacks had a negative differential, and they both sat at -1. In terms of big-time throw rate and turnover-worthy play rate, Trask ranked 116th and 110th in the FBS. He got extremely lucky on most of those turnover-worthy plays, which made his box score stats look better than he actually was.

53. FELEIPE FRANKS, ARKANSAS
Franks is no top-tier quarterback, he will certainly make the offense remarkably better in tandem with incoming offensive coordinator Kendal Briles — specifically within the deep passing attack (Franks had a 14-to-3 big-time throw to turnover-worthy play ratio on deep passes in 2018). Keep in mind, though, he did that with a great slew of receivers at Florida. While Arkansas will have an improvement at the quarterback position in Franks, it’s a marginal change and he will likely be at best an average quarterback considering the supporting cast.

76. TERRY WILSON, KENTUCKY
Wilson could help boost a passing game that slowly slipped away in 2019. However, last year's Lynn Bowden-led offense generated more EPA per play than the Wilson-led one of 2018, and we still have concerns with Wilson's ability as a passer. His performance under pressure was frightening (he ranked 129th in passing grade in 2018), and his downfield passing was inconsistent. Wilson is dynamic as a runner but nowhere near the level of Bowden.

95. BO NIX, AUBURN
Nix may have won SEC Freshman of the Year, but he really didn’t play like it. When kept clean, Nix earned a 69.2 passing grade, which ranked 107th among 130 FBS quarterbacks. As said in the PFF College Magazine, he struggled to move the ball on schemed plays and has suspect downfield accuracy. Nix may have been a five-star recruit and the No. 1-ranked dual-threat quarterback coming out of high school, but we just haven’t seen enough from him to make us believe he will ever live up to that hype.

100. RYAN HILINSKI, SOUTH CAROLINA
Hilinski was one of the most conservative quarterbacks we saw last season. He had an average depth of target of just 7.1 yards, the third-lowest mark in the FBS. In turn, South Carolina had a lethargic offense that ranked 115th in expected points added per pass play. And when Hilinski did throw it downfield, the results weren’t pretty. He had an uncatchable pass rate on throws 10-plus yards downfield of 53.3%, the third-worst in the FBS. No risk it, no biscuit.

104. KEN SEALS, VANDERBILT
Seals is not a lock for the job, but the incoming true freshman might be the best choice to helm Vanderbilt's offense. He was a three-star recruit who ranked 510th nationally in the 2019 class, according to 247Sports. Regardless, Vanderbilt can't be much worse in 2020. The Commodores ranked 125th of the 130 FBS teams in expected points added per pass play and 128th in team passing grade (39.7). They may have lost a bevy of key skill position players, but Seals should outperform their 2019 quarterback situation.

110. SHAWN ROBINSON, MISSOURI
The Eli Drinkwitz era will likely kick off with Robinson under center after he had to sit out 2019 following a transfer from TCU. Robinson started seven games in an injury-plagued 2018 season for the Horned Frogs and had some serious ball protection issues. He had a 6.9% turnover-worthy play rate, ranking 130th among 139 qualifying FBS quarterbacks. Robinson can make some big plays with his legs, but he has to improve his decision-making. Otherwise, SEC defenses will shred Missouri's offense.

I'm actually pretty excited to see how this is going to play out this year, mostly because I'm just excited that we may finally get to play at all. I'm genuinely appreciative of all the effort our staff, our players, the fans, and everyone associated with our football program and the programs across the league have put in to give us an opportunity to have a season this year. jmo.

Yes I admit I have absolutely no patience! Metal drives by w "good news coming"but not even a hi nt of what type or when said good news may arrive.
I need to know soon..

Maybe that wasn’t intended to mean good news coming. Maybe he was just happy about an explosive bowel movement or he had a blast at a covid party or he nuked a Hot Pocket or something like that.

Y'all think JG will be on a short leash or will the coaches ride with him? If/when JG throws a few INTs the first game or so I'm benching him the rest of the year. I'm putting in Maurer until he gets hurt and then playing JG behind him. If both can't go I'm burning HB redshirt

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back