How many games do we get to play before season is cancelled?

How many games do we get to play before season gets cancelled?

• Total voters
Graphic: Coronavirus deaths in the U.S., per day

This is actually a good page for seeing the trend for the virus... and some other interesting stuff.

Notice that "flattening the curve"... just didn't work for densely populated states and cities.... and overwhelming medical resources was never a real threat in sparsely populated areas. IOW's, the shutdown was likely unnecessary to any degree and from an apolitical view... opening around Easter would have prevented "deaths of despair" and likely not cost any more lives by the time we sum up the year.

For those who do not think there is overcounting... and that it is somehow tethered to politics go down to the portion that shows deaths per 100,000. Only 4 states are over 100 deaths per 100,000. All are deep, deep, deep blue states. Some of that is obviously a function of population density and having their peak before medical management of the virus improved. But those things are unlikely to explain the HUGE discrepancy. Ten of the 13 states with over 50 deaths per 100K have Dem governors.

Those states have typically had the most aggressive (oppressive) responses. The story of that table is that harsh measures have not saved densely populated areas from the virus and have not had any discernible pattern of success or failure anywhere else.
And as has been pointed out total deaths in the U.S, is more than 200,00 above normal. I keep hearing ...only about 1%... in the U.S. that is over 3 million, and unlike the oft compared flu many are left with lifelong disabilities, and the is no covid season.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Zero. Political pressure will win the day. Add to that, The NCAA and Programs need to work out their plans and policies, regarding "Name Compensation" by players. Sorry folks, it ain't gonna happen this season. The NCAA needs to do a complete reset. I can spend my Saturdays showing houses and property, to make a living.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
and I'm sure there are lots who died of COVID and were never tested or diagnosed before testing was widely available.

Agreed! That being said, how many people do you think have survived the virus without having tested positive for every instance of someone dying and having that death ruled as something else?

If that number is anything higher than 100, which it assuredly is, this virus simply continues to prove itself less and less concerning for the vast majority of people in this country.

From talking to the doctors I know around Nashville its hard to say anything confidently right now. These antibody tests are pretty expensive and unreliable right now. Even more so than the actual COVID tests. The false positive rate is pretty high. There have already been cases of people who were tested and the antibody test suggested they already had COVID some time in the past. This led people to assume they were safe and therefor drop all precautions. They ended up actually getting COVID later. All this stuff is still too underdeveloped given how novel this virus is.

Agreed! That being said, how many people do you think have survived the virus without having tested positive for every instance of someone dying and having that death ruled as something else?

If that number is anything higher than 100, which it assuredly is, this virus simply continues to prove itself less and less concerning for the vast majority of people in this country.

The point I was making is that you cant use baseless un-measurable assumptions to form an argument. For now, we can only go off what we can see and measure and therefore calculate. Everything else is self-serving speculation. Making an assumption that the virus is less deadly is more problematic than making an assumption that its more deadly.

Yeah I'm going to need you to cite your source on 99.96% survival.
I apologize, the overall survival rate is 96.86%...for those under 49...it’s actually 99.6%.

“Worldometers”

Attachments

• C35E7EE8-8888-47B2-8AC2-5E31FC0700C0.jpeg
    C35E7EE8-8888-47B2-8AC2-5E31FC0700C0.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 7
I apologize, the overall survival rate is 96.86%...for those under 49...it’s actually 99.6%.

“Worldometers”

Right. And those numbers are a heck of a lot different than 99.96. Just to do the math for you:

Population of the US is approx 350 million. 99.96% survival means 140,000 deaths if everyone got the virus. 99.60% survival rate means 1.4 million deaths. That's just assuming everyone is young and healthy.

And as has been pointed out total deaths in the U.S, is more than 200,00 above normal. I keep hearing ...only about 1%... in the U.S. that is over 3 million, and unlike the oft compared flu many are left with lifelong disabilities, and the is no covid season.
So a 0.057% death rate is bad now? That is a pandemic level? Since when?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Right. And those numbers are a heck of a lot different than 99.96. Just to do the math for you:

Population of the US is approx 350 million. 99.96% survival means 140,000 deaths if everyone got the virus. 99.60% survival rate means 1.4 million deaths. That's just assuming everyone is young and healthy.
Yeah and you’re using the absolute worst case scenario...”if everyone gets it”. That’s not going to happen either...so you’re not correct to use that example as well.

The survival rate is actually higher than what we’ve both stated, Bc the total number of “cases” are higher than what’s reported (asymptomatic) and total deaths due to Covid are actually lower (with everyone with it in their system at time of death being listed in the count).

The number is difficult to derive but the CDC website... doesn't produce 200K more than normal. I did a "custom" graph that supposedly showed the difference between the "expected" number and actual. It showed 55K. I totaled their numbers manually and came up with the higher number I mentioned earlier.

And you STILL have to look not only at raw deaths but lost years of life when considering the severity of a virus. We also have to understand that the lack of knowledge on how to treat the virus caused thousands more to die. We still have a long way to go... but even the knowledge we have now would have saved thousands of lives before.

I am NOT discounting the virus. Even if this is just a second "flu" layered on top of the old one... that's a lot of people.

But the response has ALWAYS been a scary media narrative and politics... not a scientific problem. There are lots of ways it would look different if it were just "science". For one, "herd immunity" would be heard more often than "mask mandate". We would be told that the vulnerable should wear masks and/or respirators when receiving visitors. Those who live with or have constant close contact with the vulnerable should wear masks during those times AND be tested frequently. We would KNOW what viral load is and how it is produced- how to avoid creating it or being exposed to it. Small areas and places with poor ventilation would be working to install air filtration or some other means for mitigating the accumulation of the virus in breathed air.

There is NO WAY anyone would not be laughed to scorn for suggesting masks outside except in large, dense crowds... and even then not during day time.

As pointed out in MWA's post .057 is 140.000 deaths since we are at 170,000 and counting I think your #s are off, way off.
Well, since EVERYONE dying "with" Covid is having their death attributed to Covid apparently to scare people... the "number" is indeed "off".

Reactions: krichunaka

“Worldometers”
Those numbers MASSIVELY undercount the number of infections.

If we were calculating a QB's completion % but arbitrarily decided not to count incompletions on 1st and 2nd down... the number would be wrong. Likewise, there are at least 10 times more present and past infections than the "confirmed" cases used by these sites. Some studies suggest that number could be even greater.

CDC's first estimate assumed A LOT of unreported cases.

Reactions: TennVols12
Regular students are now flooding back to campuses and likely interacting w football players. That's where the greatest risks are going to come from.
There is no risk to this or anything else. It's life and it's not new. Social media and CNN have blown this way out of proportion. Sounds like you've bought into it.

Use your on judgement and not what someone else is telling you!

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear!

Those numbers MASSIVELY undercount the number of infections.

If we were calculating a QB's completion % but arbitrarily decided not to count incompletions on 1st and 2nd down... the number would be wrong. Likewise, there are at least 10 times more present and past infections than the "confirmed" cases used by these sites. Some studies suggest that number could be even greater.

CDC's first estimate assumed A LOT of unreported cases.
Exactly, which means the survival rate is actually closer to that 99.96%..

VN Store

Back