Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little late to this discussion, but I’m a civil defense attorney. It’s important to note that there is a significant difference in how an insurer looks at first party PIP/medpay, UM, and property damage claims vs. third party injury claims. My experience is that insurers generally try to take care of their insureds, though there are certainly differences in how various insurers approach claims.

Also, probably 60-70% of the injury claims that land on my desk range from exaggerated to fraudulent. What I regularly see that drives me crazy is a claimant who could have rested, iced, taken some ibuprofen and maybe done some PT for 2-4 weeks and been fine. Instead, they called an attorney from a commercial, who referred them to a chiropractor, who sent them to an ortho, who got an MRI and did injections, all within 4-8 weeks. The claimant now has $12-15k in wildly inflated medical bills that they can’t pay back unless they recover in a lawsuit.

That’s not a shot at Plaintiff’s attorneys generally, but I see that everyday, particularly when it comes to big, billboard personal injury firms.
I know exactly what you're talking about. About 10 years ago, during Christmas shopping, my wife was backing out of a parking space and bumped into the back quarter panel of a car waiting for a parking space. The dent was barely visible and pictures were taken of the incident.

The lady claimed whiplash from the incident and our insurance company paid the lady $4K and my insurance rates went straight up. They didn't tell me about the payment until I started questioning why my rates were increasing. This was not a fly by night insurance company either. If I'm ever in an accident, I'm going straight to a shady doctor and just get in line for my check.

Bama is whining about it

“The hang-up comes from Alabama who wants to keep 21 schedule in tact and plays 22-23 opponents this year giving them Vandy and Kentucky and holding off on Florida game till next year. The rest of the West is naturally against this. Florida has thrown up less opposition but they would be going with 22-23 because it does help them. What a world!”

Worst case scenario - jmo.

EYFRBN8XQAEBdSN

2019 Athletic dept revenue (football in parenthesis)
  • Ticket sales: $36.2M ($29M)
  • Contributions: $31.3M ($26.4M)
  • Media rights: $34.9M ($15.2M)
  • Royalties, licensing, advertisement and sponsorships: $13.5 ($10.1M)

5 home games X 16,393 fans each = 81,965 tickets total for season X $350/ticket = $28,687,750.

Vandy be like “16% attendance?”

1596818883524.gif

Our lake house got hit by a tornado 5 years ago. Ripped half the house off the foundation and threw it away literally.
1st adjuster out said total loss. Was pulled from our claim in 12 hours. 2nd adjuster came out and said only cosmetic damage <$100k damages (1/2 of house is missing). Insurance lead adjuster sided with #2 for 5-6 months. I was nice and even hired an independent company adjuster that this guy recommended. Independent said $280k for repairs/rebuild was discarded as biased by lead adjuster even though he recommended him.
I told him that I had enough and would enjoy seeing him in court in Texas. (BTW, Texas Governor had already started publicly that insurers shorting insured would be frowned upon). I srnt him that quote. My last words to him were that I was gonna tie him and his company in court until he retired.
Got a settlement call the next day for $220K. I took it as the contents section of the insurance company had paid us retail price + appreciation (we bought everything on sale).
It cost $280k to rebuild/remodel.

If y’all can’t tell, it still pisses me off. Attorneys are good when you threaten an insurance company with them. Even when your attorney is with Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe 🤠
You older folks will get this 😁
I had a similar situation. The city I live in flooded my house with 18" of water by turning on the water when I had winterized a rental property. Got a call the day after Christmas that it happened. The next Monday I called the water department and had them send me the documentation about the employee going out to do the meter reading. She said "That's weird. It looks like he marked out meter reading and wrote that he turned the water on." She emailed it to me and I called to meet with the mayor.

I guess word got around and he presented me with a document showing that the employee got a meter reading only and I pulled out the paper stating otherwise. Pretty sure I could have had him charged with a crime. The water dept claimed I flooded my own house and they offered me $5000 to fix everything. I eventually got $18k to do it but it cost $23k. I told everyone that tried to screw me that my new goal in life was to make them lose their jobs. 75% did. I held out on taking a check for 6 months just to ensure one guy got fired. He would call and say he would meet me, I'd leave work and then he wouldn't show. Prick wouldn't call or anything. So once I decided the money was right, I would call once a week to have him drive up from 1 1/2 hours away and wouldn't take the check, the last guy showed up said the guy was fired and I took it. I guess I'm petty like that.

I wonder what the cost of that is. Especially with the quick turn around time for results.

It’s my understanding that most university medical centers, including UT Medical, have their own equipment to process tests. So the cost is for the test equipment which they’ve likely had for some time and the cost of personnel. I think that’s really about it.

Abbot Labs does a lot of work with university medical centers and they been shipping millions of their tests kits per week since receiving emergency approval. It’s my sense that the bulk of the cost of a test is in the processing which if you have your own lab decreases dramatically with volume. I think the turnaround time is less than 6.5 hours.

Quest, the big national lab co., has struggled to keep up with the increasing volume of tests they’ve been receiving and their backlog is the only reason for the insane turnaround times in publicly available testing.

This is just my guess based on what I’ve read because I haven’t found a direct answer, but I’m figuring if we’re doing say 1,000 tests a week to support our football program the incremental increase in cost to UT medical center might be less than $15,000 per week. That’s a very rough estimate. jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back