Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty clear JG will be the starter going into the first game. Just a few points where everyone seems right in their own respects.

JG unquestionably played well at moments last season, especially against Mizz. The staff tried everything to get better QB play, but all roads led back to him. He had to be the best option, right?

Our oline play, while improved last season, was never able to provide a consistent ground game, which obviously effects QB play. I think we all anticipate our running game to be much improved because they were no where near "good" last year.

JG holds the ball too long, doesn't throw a great deep ball, and somehow doesnt throw to WRs when they're wide open. He absolutely has to fix these things if he's our guy this season. The team around him is too good and talented to not get someone else ready by now if he cant do it.

That's a lot of stuff that still needs to be fixed going into his senior season. If he had been a back up QB up until this season I might be a little less concerned, but he's pretty much been the starting QB for the last 2 seasons and still has serious issues and inconsistencies. I want him to succeed because I really like the young man, and I believe he bleeds orange, but I expected a lot going into last season after all I heard during preseason, only to watch him start the season looking like a true freshman, so I am pessimistic.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Team is looking surprising good and quite sharp so far in the work they are doing. The coaches were caught off guard at how good the kids have looked to date. I am getting a very positive vibe internally right now which I have not gotten before. TIFWIW

Do any of the players have concerns on opting-out or could you provide any detail on the coaches stance?

From a poster on the Gator board

"Copeland just finished a live video on Instagram where he had some wild takes, and I’ll summarize them real quick:
-he wants to get paid
-Says the coaches don’t care for the players
-Someone asked if Mullen was a racist he responded with “what do you think”
Throughout the broadcast there were a few current players chiming in

Obviously these are some heated takes, but I was surprised by some of them."

Mullen is a doofus, but I am not aware of there ever being any players before, at any stop he has had as either a HC or OC, making such accusations, so considering the climate today I would have to see more than one player making a veiled suggestion before I believe it.

And I would be curious as to who asked the leading question "do you think Mullen is a racist?" I would really hope that a reporter didn't ask such a loaded question, but considering most journalists only play at being journalists, I would not be surprised.

That's a lot of stuff that still needs to be fixed going into his senior season. If he had been a back up QB up until this season I might be a little less concerned, but he's pretty much been the starting QB for the last 2 seasons and still has serious issues and inconsistencies. I want him to succeed because I really like the young man, and I believe he bleeds orange, but I expected a lot going into last season after all I heard during preseason, only to watch him start the season looking like a true freshman, so I am pessimistic.

All legitimate concerns. I'm pessimistic as well moving forward with him. In fact, last winter, I thought for sure it was in his and TNs best interest to transfer. I'm thinking surely he'll have a short leash?

LOL! Nobody cares how people drink their whiskey.

I asked a simple question...

Why do people dilute their fine whiskeys with soft drinks?

When I used to tend bar I would have clients ask for a whiskey and coke and then ask for a top shelf whiskey to be used. It never made sense to me to order the more expensive whiskey only to dilute the taste of the fine whiskey. To me, if someone didn't like the taste of straight up whiskey it was much more wallet-friendly to just use well whiskey for the mix and save yourself a couple of bucks for each drink.

Former bartender here as well. My thoughts exactly... although a good tequila makes a margarita better. A sipping tequila should not be mixed...
Same with rum
Same with vodka

Gin is nasty.

That is all. 😎

Last edited:
All legitimate concerns. I'm pessimistic as well moving forward with him. In fact, last winter, I thought for sure it was in his and TNs best interest to transfer. I'm thinking surely he'll have a short leash?

I thought he would transfer as well, but fortunately for us he did not as we would not have made a bowl without him. But I just don't think we can do more than that with him, and with an all SEC schedule this season, I really worry.

I thought he would transfer as well, but fortunately for us he did not as we would not have made a bowl without him. But I just don't think we can do more than that with him, and with an all SEC schedule this season, I really worry.

What I keep telling myself is this: assuming Mays is elgible and Morris/Wright are ready to take the next step, anyone (including JG) will be better by default. In the meantime, Mauer, HB, and everyone else is getting better and ready for their chance.

I'm thinking you wont like this either: As much as I hate FL, I think Dan Mullen is a great football coach.

Last edited:
What I keep telling myself is this: assuming Mays is elgible and Morris/Wright are ready to take the next step, anyone (including JG) will be better by default. In the meantime, Mauer, HB, and everyone else is getting better and ready for their chance.

giphy.gif

And I would be curious as to who asked the leading question "do you think Mullen is a racist?" I would really hope that a reporter didn't ask such a loaded question, but considering most journalists only play at being journalists, I would not be surprised.

Says it was an Instagram live, so just random people asking the person questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back