'21 GA CB Nyland Green (UGA commit)

I know where you are coming from and agree to an extent. One argument is they get a free education and stipend money. The other which is what concerns me most is I don’t want the integrity of the game lost. We love college football because of the amateurism and passion that the kids play with. They don’t play it to get a check for millions. I hope the middle ground is what is happening...getting paid based on likeness and image. Hopefully they will get enough money that they are satisfied, but also I hope they continue to play the game the same way college football players have always played it. The biggest advantage that I like with how they have decided to do it is I think it will be a gigantic advantage for us, because of our huge and passionate fanbase.
Exactly

Reactions: escapegoat2
I know where you are coming from and agree to an extent. One argument is they get a free education and stipend money. The other which is what concerns me most is I don’t want the integrity of the game lost. We love college football because of the amateurism and passion that the kids play with. They don’t play it to get a check for millions. I hope the middle ground is what is happening...getting paid based on likeness and image. Hopefully they will get enough money that they are satisfied, but also I hope they continue to play the game the same way college football players have always played it. The biggest advantage that I like with how they have decided to do it is I think it will be a gigantic advantage for us, because of our huge and passionate fanbase.
Let me add one more thing to this that college football players get, but it remains “silent”...we all know they get benefits behind closed doors. Guess we can just make it public and known now with the likeness and image thing.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I would agree with you if Coaches and the NCAA weren’t making millions and billions respectively.

I would agree with you if Coaches and the NCAA weren’t making millions and billions respectively.
Not to be argumentative on this, but...there have always been great players. Great coaches and institutions (not the NCAA) have been what has made college football great imo. They've been the ones that have made the names for college football.

There are a lot of great college football players who suck in the NFL. There are a lot of college football players (Alvin Kamara is one of the best, most recent examples) who don't have great college stats, but become an NFL phenom.

Players come and go every 3 to (up to) 5 years. Coaches...and in the long term, Universities decisions on hiring coaches is what has made college football great, along with the amateur athlete.

JMO of course.

Not to be argumentative on this, but...there have always been great players. Great coaches and institutions (not the NCAA) have been what has made college football great imo. They've been the ones that have made the names for college football.

There are a lot of great college football players who suck in the NFL. There are a lot of college football players (Alvin Kamara is one of the best, most recent examples) who don't have great college stats, but become an NFL phenom.

Players come and go every 3 to (up to) 5 years. Coaches...and in the long term, Universities decisions on hiring coaches is what has made college football great, along with the amateur athlete.

JMO of course.

Also not trying to be argumentative but IMO:

Elite athletes with elite skill are what makes the game what it is. Think about your top 10 favorite, most memorable plays in college football. They don’t happen without elite athletes. Sure, good coaches put players in the correct position to make a play, but the athlete matters most.

If this weren’t true then NAIA football would be just as big of a draw as SEC football. Or watching Charlotte play football would be just as exciting as watching UT play football. But we all know the talent isn’t even close to being comparable and watching those teams with less talent just isn’t as enjoyable.

Coaches play their part, but coaches get paid. Not just paid, they get PAID.

The athletes put the butts in the seats, not coaches.

The athletes draw the eyes to the TVs, not coaches.

The athletes should get paid.

There is far too much entitlement in the world.

How he deems college football players as "entitled " for wanting to get paid when THEY generate the revenue is just silly though.

Oversimplification, IMO. Who provides the platform that allows them the opportunity to play? People put so much emphasis on the play itself they ignore everything that goes into it. It's not as simple as they just show up and play and that generates the revenue. They are essential to the process, but not the only moving part to the machine. So to some degree, yeah, they are entitled. It goes beyond a "free education" and room and board. They receive coaching, play in a big stadium in front of a huge crowd, all in preparation for a future career where they will make millions. And colleges put a lot into creating that "gameday experience" that fans love so much. Do I think players deserve more than they receive? Yes. But that doesn't change that many do feel entitled and forget there's a lot more going on than just them playing football. A lot of money is invested in them for them to generate the revenue they do.

Elite athletes with elite skill are what makes the game what it is. Think about your top 10 favorite, most memorable plays in college football. They don’t happen without elite athletes. Sure, good coaches put players in the correct position to make a play, but the athlete matters most.

If this weren’t true then NAIA football would be just as big of a draw as SEC football. Or watching Charlotte play football would be just as exciting as watching UT play football. But we all know the talent isn’t even close to being comparable and watching those teams with less talent just isn’t as enjoyable.

Athletes put in the work, but someone else's money has been invested in allowing them to play a game. There are points to be made on both sides. Like I said previously, it's an oversimplification to simply say "athletes put the butts in the seats". A lot of money goes into reaching that point. I'm all for a more equitable agreement, but let's not downplay everything that goes into college football.

Until about 20 years ago most people (except diehard recruiting fans) did not know who the new people on their team would be. Players made a name for themselves after they got on the team (in fans eyes). Multimedia is what has changed things as far as fans go.

Butch Jones had great players on his teams. Those players now play in the NFL. Butch Jones never had a great team though. Those players couldn't overcome bad coaching. Georgia has great players every year (more than all but maybe 1 or 2 teams). Has been 40 years since they won a championship.

I understand your point, just don't agree with it.

Athletes put in the work, but someone else's money has been invested in allowing them to play a game. There are points to be made on both sides. Like I said previously, it's an oversimplification to simply say "athletes put the butts in the seats". A lot of money goes into reaching that point. I'm all for a more equitable agreement, but let's not downplay everything that goes into college football.
Agree. I was watching the radio for Tennessee football before I knew who the actual players were. Learning the players came afterwards. I always knew who the coach was though.

Nice to have a non-combative discussion though. Both sides have good points too.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So how much are high school players getting paid?

You really equating HS football to SEC football?

Big time college football, like SEC football, brings in millions and millions of dollars.

HS football does not.
Your logic is the football players put the fans in the seats. They are the ones putting in the hard work. They deserve their share of whatever the schools are bringing in.

Reactions: hooter vol
Your logic is the football players put the fans in the seats. They are the ones putting in the hard work. They deserve their share of whatever the schools are bringing in.

If you actually read my post, it clearly states ELITE level of football where millions and millions of dollars are in play.

Tell me, what HS league do you know of that has a multi-million dollar tv contract?

And with these multi-million dollar tv contracts, are you of the belief that people are tuning in to watch the coach? Or the AD? Or to look at the pretty stadium? Or are they tuning in to watch elite athletes with elite skill compete against other elite athletes with elite skill?

If you actually read my post, it clearly states ELITE level of football where millions and millions of dollars are in play.

Tell me, what HS league do you know of that has a multi-million dollar tv contract?

And with these multi-million dollar tv contracts, are you of the belief that people are tuning in to watch the coach? Or the AD? Or to look at the pretty stadium? Or are they tuning in to watch elite athletes with elite skill compete against other elite athletes with elite skill?
I read your post and your logic. Which is why I took it to its conclusion. So where is the cutoff? How many millions before the players putting the butts in the seats get paid more than they are now? And you seem to forget that the AD, coaches, schools, boosters and fans are the ones making it possible for the players to develop and use their talents to be able to get on a field in front of people to watch them. Which, and this has been stated numerous times, gives them the chance to use those talents to make millions as a PRO...professional which is someone who gets paid. Let's just do away with college sports and have farm teams. Trying to mix education and sports is causing too many problems.

Reactions: VolsSince78
I read your post and your logic. Which is why I took it to its conclusion. So where is the cutoff? How many millions before the players putting the butts in the seats get paid more than they are now? And you seem to forget that the AD, coaches, schools, boosters and fans are the ones making it possible for the players to develop and use their talents to be able to get on a field in front of people to watch them. Which, and this has been stated numerous times, gives them the chance to use those talents to make millions as a PRO...professional which is someone who gets paid. Let's just do away with college sports and have farm teams. Trying to mix education and sports is causing too many problems.

Literally everything about big time college football equals big business. Everything. Except for the fact that players can’t get paid. It’s an absolute joke to say they are amateurs in any way whatsoever.

As for specifics, obviously more analysis would need to be completed. I didn’t come prepared to a college football message board with a business plan. I’m just telling you they should be getting paid.

And I’m not forgetting any of that stuff. AD’s make a sh*t ton of money, coaches make millions, schools make millions from players, and fans - just like pro sports - can choose to vote with their wallets. None of that changes if players are given a piece of the pie. I’m not saying they should make millions in college, but they should absolutely be able to negotiate a share of the earnings. I mean seriously at this point they can’t even make money from their OWN name/image/likeness. What a crock of sh*t.

You seem to forget that without elite players, none of this is possible. Less people would go to games, less people would watch on tv leading to smaller tv contracts (see my earlier reference to NAIA football or a team like Charlotte), coaches would make less money, AD’s would make less money, schools would make less money.

Players aren’t the only piece of the puzzle, but they are the most important piece. If there was a viable option for players to go straight from HS to a league where they could get paid, you can bet your azz colleges would pony up some Benjamins in a hurry to try and convince them to go to their school instead. Because again, without the players, this whole thing falls apart.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Literally everything about big time college football equals big business. Everything. Except for the fact that players can’t get paid. It’s an absolute joke to say they are amateurs in any way whatsoever.

As for specifics, obviously more analysis would need to be completed. I didn’t come prepared to a college football message board with a business plan. I’m just telling you they should be getting paid.

And I’m not forgetting any of that stuff. AD’s make a sh*t ton of money, coaches make millions, schools make millions from players, and fans - just like pro sports - can choose to vote with their wallets. None of that changes if players are given a piece of the pie. I’m not saying they should make millions in college, but they should absolutely be able to negotiate a share of the earnings. I mean seriously at this point they can’t even make money from their OWN name/image/likeness. What a crock of sh*t.

You seem to forget that without elite players, none of this is possible. Less people would go to games, less people would watch on tv leading to smaller tv contracts (see my earlier reference to NAIA football or a team like Charlotte), coaches would make less money, AD’s would make less money, schools would make less money.

Players aren’t the only piece of the puzzle, but they are the most important piece. If there was a viable option for players to go straight from HS to a league where they could get paid, you can bet your azz colleges would pony up some Benjamins in a hurry to try and convince them to go to their school instead. Because again, without the players, this whole thing falls apart.
Yeah, so just separate college and sports. Then it can be a business with negotiations of players getting paid. If they want an education they can pay for it with the money they make. No need to try to force high school kids to qualify for college when they have no desire for that. No need to try to keep them eligible. As far as fans paying with their wallets, I am already over professional sports. The only thing I have watched in 15 years is Peyton play. Seems a lot of people I know are increasingly feeling the same way. The thing I like about college is the school spirit which seems to be fading yearly. I don't watch it for the professional plays. I watch it for Tennessee to win however that happens. I have plenty of other hobbies I can spend my time on when it becomes another professional team. This whole wondering if we will have football this fall has got me to thinking about those things anyway. My orange blood may just turn to ordinary everyday human kind.

The most important thing about when Clemson has interest in a player they just keep upping the bid until they get the guy (Page). They have deep pockets for kids who want a payday right away. To land these big time prospect you have to somehow offer something better than what Dabo is able to offer.

Reactions: UT = Checkmate

VN Store

Back