Moving from Texas to TN

GamerAg

Howdy from an Aggie,

We are looking to move from Texas to eastern TN. Parents had a cabin near Gatlinburg, and driving around between Knoxville and the NC border, we really love that part of TN.
My daugher attended an event at UT and loves the campus and wants to be a Volunteer now. :)

We are looking for a little bit of land to run a couple horses for the kids and a few small animals. We like the idea of living near a small-ish town, but with decent schools for the kids. So far we have been looking around the Greeneville, Rogersville, and Elizabethton areas.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas/towns to check out, as well as any general tips/information about moving to TN, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Howdy from an Aggie,

We are looking to move from Texas to eastern TN. Parents had a cabin near Gatlinburg, and driving around between Knoxville and the NC border, we really love that part of TN.
My daugher attended an event at UT and loves the campus and wants to be a Volunteer now. :)

We are looking for a little bit of land to run a couple horses for the kids and a few small animals. We like the idea of living near a small-ish town, but with decent schools for the kids. So far we have been looking around the Greeneville, Rogersville, and Elizabethton areas.

If anyone has any recommendations for areas/towns to check out, as well as any general tips/information about moving to TN, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Maryville.? Kingsport, Johnson City

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Check out the Tazewell/Claiborne country area, about 50mins from campus and beautiful area, Norris lake. It is a really small town though. My 2cents.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I live in Rogersville and it will check all your boxes except the school system. The city school is okay from k-8 but the high school is lacking.

Morristown has a good Christian private school I hear, but I really can't stand the road systems there. I'm sure someone else would have no issue with it all, just my own take on it.

I personally loved living in johnson city when going to ETSU. I always told my wife if we weren't so rooted in Rogersville, JC would be where I live.

Good luck and obviously your daughter is of very high character and intellect, lol

Last edited:
Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Elizabethton is an excellent area. If you move over there look into getting your kids into Johnson City Schools it's an excellent school system. Greeneville is also a good school system (at least high school don't know about k-8)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
This is going to sound weird, but if you like watching the storms roll through get a view that can see from north to south. Depending on where you end up you probably want a view facing west, as the mountains are closer/bigger to the east. You dont get the wide open vistas unless you get high up and clear some trees, that you would in Texas.

Because of the mountain to the east and the plateau to the west a lot of storms get funneled north south. Typically the storms come from the south in the summer, and from the north in the winter.

I live in Rogersville and it will check all your boxes except the school system. The city school is okay from k-8 but the high school is lacking.

Morristown has a good Christian private school I hear, but I really can't stand the road systems there. I'm sure someone else would have no issue with it all, just my own take on it.

I personally loved living in johnson city when going to ETSU. I always told my wife if we weren't so rooted in Rogersville, JC would be where I live.

Good luck and obviously your daughter is of very high character and intellect, lol
Totally off topic from the op, but I've been wanting to ask if anybody lived near rogersville. You don't by any chance know, or have heard of a preacher named Bud Culbertson?

Gotta keep in mind that horse-friendly land is at a premium in an area where most stuff is either steeply sloped, or floods regularly. I would think the TN River Valley, around Athens, TN, might be a good place to look. You can see mountains from there but you won't have to climb them to get the mail.

Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Welcome and once moved here I hope you will feel at Home in God's Country. We don't Gig'em here it's GBO!!

102944beb442752d63073285ee2dbbf6.jpg

Reactions: joevol33
Johnson City. rural and still has a downtown. little more blue collar than maryville, certainly not near as conservative 😁, which i couldnt handle....schools are good.

love my church.

asheville is close by.

mountains, rivers, beach is 5 hrs away, hiking, biking, JC has come a long way

... life is good. Go Bucs.

Last edited:
Howdy from an Aggie,

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Oh, man, how lucky you are. Make this hunt for E. Tenn land-gold an adventure! Take your time, see as many places as you can. When the right place emerges, you will know.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
For context. He has went and preached at my home church in Kentucky since I was a kid, like revivals and such. He was scheduled to go back last year, but never showed. My dad said he's tried calling him because they were friends, and never has got an answer, and was just concerned for his well being.

Reactions: goldenvol
For context. He has went and preached at my home church in Kentucky since I was a kid, like revivals and such. He was scheduled to go back last year, but never showed. My dad said he's tried calling him because they were friends, and never has got an answer, and was just concerned for his well being.

I talked to rev john north about him and he knew him, but couldn't tell me which church he pastors.

I'll keep sniffing around and see what I can find out for you.

Reactions: joevol33
Really depends on what you want. Sweetwater/Athens area in the Valley that runs basically with I-75 from Chatt to K'town is beautiful rolling hill vistas. But close enough to either town to take in both. From the east side of 75 on over toward Tellico Plains/Townsend/G'burg is beautiful but probably more lacking than the upper east TN areas in terms of schools, etc. Above Knoxville as mentioned, Johnson City/Jefferson City/Greenville areas all very nice and better schools.

If your not deadlocked on the far east, Middle TN on the plateau can offer some great views in the right locations. I live outside Cookeville in Jackson County, but closer to Cookeville. Land is probably more affordable. Lots of choices for scenic land anywhere on the Plateau, with lower living costs. Schools vary, but Jackson County is not bad for a rural system. The Cookeville system as a whole is pretty good.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back