2021 Target List

Works for me. Not a lot of film out there I could find of Mashack, but he's regarded as one of the best defenders regardless of position in this 2021 class. I'll take that all day every day.

Reactions: Lefteye
Works for me. Not a lot of film out there I could find of Mashack, but he's regarded as one of the best defenders regardless of position in this 2021 class. I'll take that all day every day.
Agree. The article at Rocky Top Insider said he’s been following Barnes and Tennessee for a couple of years and he likes how they “get up in teams defensively”. Without watching a minute of video, his frame and mindset scream JRich 2.20
Article also mentions that he likes that Tennessee doesn’t just offer to be offering.(I paraphrased)

SIAP: Caleb Houstan has reclassified to 2021 class & Rivals has him as the #9 overall player in country. I think Tennessee has been fairly involved with him. That’s five Top-10 2021 prospects TN is in deep with & Huntley-Hatfield is still likely to reclassify as well.

It’ll be interesting to see what big man the staff goes after if we don’t end up getting one if not both of Banchero and Jabari Smith. With Pons, Fulky, and Anosike all gone after this year we have room/need for probably 1-2 guys that can play PF/C.

I still think there’s a greater chance we end up with neither Banchero or Smith than one or both of them, so who do they go after in that case? Surely they have some backup plans. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us get involved late with someone not really on the radar right now

SIAP: Caleb Houstan has reclassified to 2021 class & Rivals has him as the #9 overall player in country. I think Tennessee has been fairly involved with him. That’s five Top-10 2021 prospects TN is in deep with & Huntley-Hatfield is still likely to reclassify as well.
I posted this info in the basketball recruiting thread last week with a bit more info on the Houstan situation, but now that he's officially reclassified, it probably belongs in here, too.

Reactions: flowd82
Not sure quite how involved we are with him, but Caleb Houstan has reclassified into the 2021 class. He holds a Tennessee offer and is originally from Canada. Barnes has obviously had a lot of success recruiting Canada in the past; Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson, and Kyle Alexander. Duke and Michigan State are the only bluebloods really involved, right now. Gonzaga, Arizona, Alabama, Maryland, and Michigan are in there, too, among others. Michigan State already has Emoni Bates committed, so really unlikely that Houstan goes there since they play the same position and Bates is a generational talent.

Houstan was ranked the #7 player in the 2022 class in the 247 composite, so he is likely a top-10/15 player in the 2021 class, now that he has reclassified. Someone to maybe keep an eye on as he plays a position of need. 6-8, 190 lb SF, and currently plays at Montverde Academy in Florida.

Reactions: flowd82
It’ll be interesting to see what big man the staff goes after if we don’t end up getting one if not both of Banchero and Jabari Smith. With Pons, Fulky, and Anosike all gone after this year we have room/need for probably 1-2 guys that can play PF/C.

I still think there’s a greater chance we end up with neither Banchero or Smith than one or both of them, so who do they go after in that case? Surely they have some backup plans. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us get involved late with someone not really on the radar right now
I think along with Banchero and Smith, Tennessee is pretty involved with Micawber Etienne, a top-50 big man, and then also Caleb Houstan reclassifying into the 2021 class and Brendan Huntley-Hatfield likely to, it gives us several top-flight options. We are also involved to a certain degree with Ryan Mutombo, though it doesn't sound like we've pushed hard and Georgetown (his dad's alma mater) may be a difficult obstacle. If they miss on all of the main targets, which seems pretty unlikely if they land Chandler, I'd look for them to hit the grad transfer market for an impact big man.

And as you said, we may get involved with someone who is not currently being mentioned.

Reactions: sport3500

Man, I definitely don’t know that I would agree with the bolded statement...seem to be Top 3 for Banchero and Top 2 for Smith, and national analysts have stated if we land Chandler we very well could lead for both. I get we could miss on both, but I definitely feel landing at least one of those guys is more likely, especially if we land Chandler as expected.

Of the guys below, Huntley-Hatfield & Bediako are 2 guys we are very much in it with too.

#3 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#5 Jabari Smith - (6'10" PF)
#7 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield* (6'8" PF)
#22 Charles Bediako (6'11" C)
#51 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#64 John Butler (6'11" C)
#89 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)

#2 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#4 Jabari Smith - (6'10" PF)
#5 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield** (6'8" PF)
#8 Harrison Ingram (6'6" SF)
#9 Caleb Houstan (6’8” SF)
#10 Kennedy Chandler (6'1" PG)
#11 Hunter Sallis (6'3" Combo G)
#30 Daron Holmes ll (6’8” PF)
#48 Jahmai Mashack (6’4” SG)
#50 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#62 Carter Whitt (6'3" PG)
#63 John Butler (6'11" C)
#86 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)

**currently in 2022 class but expected to reclassify to 2021

Last edited:
Man, I definitely don’t know that I would agree with the bolded statement...seem to be Top 3 for Banchero and Top 2 for Smith, and national analysts have stated if we land Chandler we very well could lead for both. I get we could miss on both, but I definitely feel landing at least one of those guys is more likely, especially if we land Chandler as expected.

Of the guys below, Huntley-Hatfield & Bediako are 2 guys we are very much in it with too.

#3 Paolo Banchero - (6'9" PF)
#5 Jabari Smith - (6'10" PF)
#7 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield* (6'8" PF)
#51 Micawber Etienne (6'10" C)
#64 John Butler (6'11" C)
#89 Ryan Mutombo (6'11" C)
Bediako is the one I knew I was forgetting.

Speaking of Ingram, sheeeesh...

I haven’t heard much as far as an updated final list for Harrison Ingram but I doubt I would be that far off with who was included within his finalists on the Rankings the Contendersarticle we completed on the five-star last week. If there is one program that I should have included on it, Tennessee would be it, but I also see there being various tiers for the race for Ingram.

Purdue and Stanford take up the upper-tier within his recruitment. Then comes North Carolina, and a mixture of Louisville, Michigan and Tennessee. The Wolverines may have some issues since it has already landed two on the perimeter, but Juwan Howard has continued to make a push. Tennessee is trying to put together the best class in America, which has intrigued Ingram.

So according to that statement, Tennessee is actually in the Top 5 of his contenders, but he left them out of the article last week as an oversight? Seems like a pretty big oversight lol. I don't think our chances with Ingram are as good as they are with Banchero or Smith, but hey if we land Chandler and then one of those other two, it might change Ingrams opinion.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
So according to that statement, Tennessee is actually in the Top 5 of his contenders, but he left them out of the article last week as an oversight? Seems like a pretty big oversight lol. I don't think our chances with Ingram are as good as they are with Banchero or Smith, but hey if we land Chandler and then one of those other two, it might change Ingrams opinion.
Maybe was an oversight or just new informantion he got, but I was surprised that we weren’t mentioned at all in that article. As you state, I do think we probably are in it less with him, but if we do land Chandler and then one/both of Banchero/Smith that could definitely change things up a bit. He’s not a guy that without others in the boat I think we are a serious contender for, but if we land some of these guys who knows.

I am fully aware it’s not likely at all to happen, but 1. Could you imagine and 2. Would Tennessee be willing to over sign by 2 to land...

#2 Paolo Banchero
#4 Jabari Smith
#8 Harrison Ingram
#10 Kennedy Chandler
#48 Jahmai Mashack

It's quite the thought to imagine. I'm trying to not get too excited, as I realize this is unprecedented for TN basketball to even be swimming in these waters. I think we're going to over-sign regardless. We're 100% losing Pons, Fulky, and Anosike after this year, but based on current trends of attrition in the transfer market in CBB, as well as the fact I think at least 1 of James, Springer, or Johnson will declare for the NBA after this season, it's hard not to expect at least 4 maybe 5 spots being open.

It's quite the thought to imagine. I'm trying to not get too excited, as I realize this is unprecedented for TN basketball to even be swimming in these waters. I think we're going to over-sign regardless. We're 100% losing Pons, Fulky, and Anosike after this year, but based on current trends of attrition in the transfer market in CBB, as well as the fact I think at least 1 of James, Springer, or Johnson will declare for the NBA after this season, it's hard not to expect at least 4 maybe 5 spots being open.
Ha i was just texting this to a group chat I’m in. Based on early projections I think we could definitely see James, Springer and Keon leaving, plus the other 3. So that’s 6 spots open. Leaving likely starters left in 2021-22: Santiago, Victor Bailey and Walker. With guys like Gaines, Uros and Nkamhoua off the bench.
Plenty of opportunity for Chandler, Banchero and Smith, they would come in and get immediate PT. If we pulled those 3, at least one more comes with them you’d think, preferably Ingram

Ha i was just texting this to a group chat I’m in. Based on early projections I think we could definitely see James, Springer and Keon leaving, plus the other 3. So that’s 6 spots open. Leaving likely starters left in 2021-22: Santiago, Victor Bailey and Walker. With guys like Gaines, Uros and Nkamhoua off the bench.
Plenty of opportunity for Chandler, Banchero and Smith, they would come in and get immediate PT. If we pulled those 3, at least one more comes with them you’d think, preferably Ingram

Even if James, Springer, and Johnson DO stay, Banchero and Smith will get immediate playing time regardless. So I don't think it will really affect anyone's decision. Banchero & Smith are both PF's so the fact that we completely lose all of our post-players after this season just mean those two would be starters next season regardless. It also makes Tennessee an attractive landing spot for other high-level targets like Huntley-Hatfield & Houstan.

Chandler is really the only player we're actively recruiting who would potentially have to share playing time amongst a bevy of other talented guards.

Reactions: swchandler1988
Yea I definitely think they’ll at least sign 4 given it’s the right 4, I could see them going 5 as well potentially.

VN Store

Back