The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Well guys I’m shocked. Wandered over to SGAmmo and they have a grand total of 2,000 rounds of Privi 556 ammo. And that’s ALL the 556. Nothing else. And no 300 BLK at all. Have any of you guys seen it this bad?

I should count myself among the lucky, I suppose. I spent the last 4 or 5 years settling in on the best HD rounds for my platforms (Federal 62 TBBC, Sierra 69 SMK/TMK, and then TAP 75 SBR most recently), and buying it in modest lots when and where I could afford / find it. As a result, I am well-stocked with the good stuff, which is going for well over $1/round now, if you can even find it.

It's almost impossible to find the top-shelf ammo; tough to find good ammo; and hard to just find ammo. It is what it is. Like I said, I count myself among the lucky. I have enough good HD ammo to last me through any conceivable scenario. If I cut back on range time, and unless the 3rd ID decides to assault my humble abode, I can hold my own for longer than most would want to stick around and hope I eventually run out.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
The salad days of dirt cheap ammo are over.

Ammo can still be found if needed.

ammoseek.com is your friend.

Fair point but some people like to shoot their guns. I'll go through 100 rounds by Wednesday.

This really is one of the issues. Given the uncertainty it's hard to just go burn ammo for some fun at the range. Even for a reloader once you pull the trigger the bullet/powder/primer are gone and you've only got so many uses of the brass.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
There’s plenty of ammo out there really. Look at the local gun stores, and they don’t price gouge. Everyone goes to the big box stores first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeslice13
There’s plenty of ammo out there really. Look at the mom and pop stores (local Gun stores), and they don’t price gouge. Everyone goes to the big box stores (the untrained) first.

Yeah, but there's an ACE Hardware local franchise (4 stores spread over 3 counties) that I help out with Form 1 and 4 applications, and they are dumpster diving for 9mm and .223/5.56 ammo. They won't gouge, so they have to find a price that lets them make a modest markup, and a modest profit. The last shipment of good 9mm ammo (147 HP) they got was only 60 boxes, and it was gone by the time they cut the plastic off and carried it out to the shelf, even with a "3 boxes per customer" limit.

OTOH, I know of a really nice gun store about 100 miles west of me...in a place where no one would expect to find such a well-stocked store...and they always seem to have it when no one else does, so...

And a jam-up BBQ joint just down the road. BBQ, bun, and a pickle. Don't get any better than that. Homemade chips that'll give you a "tongue-gasm". Love those kinda places.

Since it seems like the whole world knows about AmmoSeek, and places like SGAmmo now, yeah...you have to go offline to find the good stuff.

Go Vols.

Yeah, but there's an ACE Hardware local franchise (4 stores spread over 3 counties) that I help out with Form 1 and 4 applications, and they are dumpster diving for 9mm and .223/5.56 ammo. They won't gouge, so they have to find a price that lets them make a modest markup, and a modest profit. The last shipment of good 9mm ammo (147 HP) they got was only 60 boxes, and it was gone by the time they cut the plastic off and carried it out to the shelf, even with a "3 boxes per customer" limit.

OTOH, I know of a really nice gun store about 100 miles west of me...in a place where no one would expect to find such a well-stocked store...and they always seem to have it when no one else does, so...

And a jam-up BBQ joint just down the road. BBQ, bun, and a pickle. Don't get any better than that. Homemade chips that'll give you a "tongue-gasm". Love those kinda places.

Since it seems like the whole world knows about AmmoSeek, and places like SGAmmo now, yeah...you have to go offline to find the good stuff.

Go Vols.
I made six or seven trips to Academy Sports over the past month or so. Every time I was there but once, they had 5.56/.223. About half of those times they had 9mm. I was there on MWF, which are supposedly the 'delivery days'. Only once was I there when the doors opened. Usually, I was going during my lunch break. The last two times I went, I did not even buy ammo because I was only looking for 7.62x39 and they did not have it. It was hard to resist the hoarding instinct but it did give me a good feeling to leave something for the next guy or gal.

Well guys I’m shocked. Wandered over to SGAmmo and they have a grand total of 2,000 rounds of Privi 556 ammo. And that’s ALL the 556. Nothing else. And no 300 BLK at all. Have any of you guys seen it this bad?

2012 election year was almost as bad. In 2017 I vowed never again and went on a ammo buying spree that the UPS driver still talks about.

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back