Kara Lawson can continue as UT Trustee

Other trustees all have prominent jobs. Do any have high paying positions at other universities?

"Diversity" ?? Are you kidding me? UT has always been a champion of that. AND, just take a look around the Country at "Diversity". Minnesota , Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Yep. Diversity is a great thing; as long as the Subjects are qualified and represent all the people. Elevating someone because of race or gender and not qualifications is asinine.
What as Kara wrong or what her version of diversity different than your version of diversity?

Kara has always represented the Univ. of TN with class and intelligence. She is well respected and her achievements are truly impressive. CPS helped mold her and her toughness which she has applied to her career. She has never done anything that would bring her integrity into question.

I don’t have a problem with it as long as she doesn’t compromise her obligations to both sides. If she took a job in the SEC then I would feel differently but Duke is in the ACC and we never have to play them so it doesn’t bother me.

"Diversity" ?? Are you kidding me? UT has always been a champion of that. AND, just take a look around the Country at "Diversity". Minnesota , Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Yep. Diversity is a great thing; as long as the Subjects are qualified and represent all the people. Elevating someone because of race or gender and not qualifications is asinine.

Of course the last sentence is true. But your examples are uniformed at best in a couple of cases.

By the way, compared to some other SEC programs, we are underrepresented at the head coach level which is what she pointed out in the board meeting, not on the six o’clock news. That is a fact that no opinion can change. It is also a discussion happening in most board rooms.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Of course the last sentence is true. But your examples are uniformed at best in a couple of cases.

By the way, compared to some other SEC programs, we are underrepresented at the head coach level which is what she pointed out in the board meeting, not on the six o’clock news. That is a fact that no opinion can change. It is also a discussion happening in most board rooms.
Go back a ways and not the same as now. She never said at this very minute. She will give up the trustee job as i said and it would be wonderful if they would put a former LV by the name of Tamika Catchings!! We know they will fill it with a diverse individual and i can think of a better one! I coached at several different places and never once considered the last teams as nothing but the enemy! i did not feel that way about the players and their parents but the school per say!
Board meeting or not it made the news anyway!

She now belongs to Duke....
Got to let her go guys....
wbb_klawson_media16x9.jpg

Having such a brilliant, pragmatic mind such as Kara’s on the board is such a privelege and, yes, BLESSING to UT that I cannot even imagine the level of sick pessimism that it would take for anyone to cast doubt on whether Kara’s integrity could be compromised just because another entity also recognized her brilliance,.

SHAME ON ANYONE WHO IS TREATING HER NOW LIKE “the enemy.” Jeez, grow up.

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
Preach on.. Same ppl also said no for her as TN head coach because she doesn't have experience, but can't be happy for her as DUKE Head coach. Stop the hate, be respectful, life is not all about u.

why is it 'hate' when someone disagrees with you?...oh wait......

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

Just hire the Best Person for the job; giving no consideration for "diversity" . AND, although UT HAS NOT Hired the Best; (rarely) I don't think Diversity prevented them from that; but Rather---Incompetence.

Reactions: krichunaka
Wish people would not succumb to click bait. The context of Kara’s diversity comments was during read outs from working groups. A summary from the Chancellor’s indicated that diversity must be addressed. Later on when Kara spoke for athletics she stated that if diversity was a goal the Chancellor’s should work with the Athletic Director’s as that is where the most diverse population (ON ALL THREE CAMPUSES) resides. She then stated there is not one POC Head Coach in the UT System

Wish people would not succumb to click bait. The context of Kara’s diversity comments was during read outs from working groups. A summary from the Chancellor’s indicated that diversity must be addressed. Later on when Kara spoke for athletics she stated that if diversity was a goal the Chancellor’s should work with the Athletic Director’s as that is where the most diverse population (ON ALL THREE CAMPUSES) resides. She then stated there is not one POC Head Coach in the UT System

Qualifications. In the 2000's ; the Best will surface; and be rewarded. Color has zero to do with it; IMO. ANYONE can reach their full potential if they are willing to outwork the other guy. Of course Politics plays a role, but that is the case for All Colors.

Synonyms for the term "enemy"..... foe, opponent, rival, competitor, the opposition, the other side, the opposing side, the competition.

Any team, or coach, our team we will be competing with for athletes to commit to the University of Tennessee, can be referred to as "the enemy" "the foe" "the opposition" etc. etc. etc.

In addition, if the Lady Vols were to reach the NCAA Tournament, any team or coach, our Lady Vols happen to play against, can safely be referred to as "the enemy."

It is not a slight against the team, or coach, just an acknowledgement for the time being, the subject in discussion is not wearing Lady Vol Orange and White, but is dressed in Duke Royal Blue.
kara.jpg

I don’t have a problem with it as long as she doesn’t compromise her obligations to both sides. If she took a job in the SEC then I would feel differently but Duke is in the ACC and we never have to play them so it doesn’t bother me.

What would "playing them" have to do with being a trustee of the school?? I just can't see being a "board member" would have anything direct with the operation of the Athletic Dept. and who and how games are played.. Also remember she is just one voice among several on the board of trustees.

Qualifications. In the 2000's ; the Best will surface; and be rewarded. Color has zero to do with it; IMO. ANYONE can reach their full potential if they are willing to outwork the other guy. Of course Politics plays a role, but that is the case for All Colors.
Let me get this straight. Politics does have a role in hiring but color does not ?

Let me get this straight. Politics does have a role in hiring but color does not ?

EXACTLY! For Example; If you have a friend/relative at City Hall, your odds of getting the Building Inspectors' Job are better than the Bloke who doesn't. IF you worked with a Certain Coach at another University; your chances of him hiring you at his new job are better than the Bloke who didn't. Elementary Watson. Never heard of Nepotism?

Last edited:
What would "playing them" have to do with being a trustee of the school?? I just can't see being a "board member" would have anything direct with the operation of the Athletic Dept. and who and how games are played.. Also remember she is just one voice among several on the board of trustees.
Here’s an example: Let’s say hypothetically Nick Saban were a UT alumnus, on the Board of Trustees, while also being head coach at Alabama. I couldn’t see that sitting well with almost anyone involved. Even though there’s nothing to do with the AD, you run the risk of said coach from a rival school being on campus. Possible recruiting violations if said coach comes into contact with active players of UT while on campus. It’s just something that would not be in the best interest of the coach or the universities IMO.

yea, take a never been coach before a 3 time / 4 time except for 2020, Ncaa tourny making coach? who are you peeples? so damn iggnerant!

Having such a brilliant, pragmatic mind such as Kara’s on the board is such a privelege and, yes, BLESSING to UT that I cannot even imagine the level of sick pessimism that it would take for anyone to cast doubt on whether Kara’s integrity could be compromised just because another entity also recognized her brilliance,.

SHAME ON ANYONE WHO IS TREATING HER NOW LIKE “the enemy.” Jeez, grow up.

Lawson is now the ENEMY!

Reactions: GameTime
Regarding Lawson's insinuation that UT has a racist athletics department, and UT's response that it is working on solving its racist hiring practices:

The next head coach job that becomes open in football, men's basketball, or women's basketball, will be filled by a black person. UT will hire the best black candidate available.

Reactions: GameTime
EXACTLY! For Example; If you have a friend/relative at City Hall, your odds of getting the Building Inspectors' Job are better than the Bloke who doesn't. IF you worked with a Certain Coach at another University; your chances of him hiring you at his new job are better than the Bloke who didn't. Elementary Watson. Never heard of Nepotism?
I took your "politics" literally, meaning your political viewpoints. As such, I didn't consider nepotism/friendships political, In this situation.

VN Store

Back