UNC "Tarheels" name now Racist

dobre_shunka

Looks like it's UNC's turn.

Does UNC’s ‘Tar Heels’ name celebrate the Confederacy? Some think it’s time for change.

UNIONSOLDIERS-NE-071420-RTW_4.jpg

“If you call yourself a Tar Heel … you’re cheering for the essence of white supremacy,” Thorpe said. He said it’s like saying “Go Confederate soldiers!” or “It’s a great day to be a Confederate soldier.”

NC history professor Jim Leloudis said the origin of the “Tar Heels” name is complicated and convoluted. He is also co-chair of the university’s Commission on History, Race & A Way Forward, tasked with helping the university reckon with its history. “It’s hard to untangle,” Leloudis said. “The term, at first, is derogatory in terms of race and class, then gets turned into a symbol of Confederate pride and loyalty.”

UNC also mentions the term Tar Heels in connection to the Civil War.
“During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term, and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves ‘tar heels’ as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term and North Carolina became widely known as the ‘Tar Heel State,’” according to UNC’s website.

As a man with a small amount of Irish descent, I believe Notre Dame's problematic nickname requires a change. We Irish are not all angry, fighting, midget drunks and I cannot stand for the injustice of being represented in such a way, especially given the way Irish people were treated around the turn of the 1900s.

Volunteers could be vulnerable since the Tennessee army was known as the Volunteers. I suspect that POTSB has its origins around the time of the Civil War and could be questionable if this logic is allowed to continue.

This is all about a Marxist attempt to erase traditional American institutions and to promote their cause. It has had no racist tones for years until the current Marxist revolution.

As a man with a small amount of Irish descent, I believe Notre Dame's problematic nickname requires a change. We Irish are not all angry, fighting, midget drunks and I cannot stand for the injustice of being represented in such a way, especially given the way Irish people were treated around the turn of the 1900s.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
At this point, I get the feeling that these individuals want to change every team's nickname to the "(Insert city or state) Stunning and Brave Persons". Good Lord...some folks have made a lucrative lifestyle out of being perpetually offended.

Volunteers could be vulnerable since the Tennessee army was known as the Volunteers. I suspect that POTSB has its origins around the time of the Civil War and could be questionable if this logic is allowed to continue.

This is all about a Marxist attempt to erase traditional American institutions and to promote their cause. It has had no racist tones for years until the current Marxist revolution.
Coined around the the War of 1812.

Reactions: BUBear
IMO, NFL team names that theoretically could be at risk, if you take their thinking out to its logical conclusion:

Patriots
Browns
Texans
Chiefs
Cowboys
Redskins (will be changed)
49ers
Seahawks (logo change - the seahawk itself was clearly inspired by Native American art of the area)

Raiders and Buccaneers aren't explicitly racist, but have associations with the Age of Exploration, which they detest. Also Jets...offensive to people in countries who have experienced bombing by the United States, or perhaps 9/11 victims and their families (doubly cruel because the team using the name is in New York/New Jersey)? Also Titans...mythological figures celebrated in Ancient Greece, which was a society that enslaved people and plundered other societies?

Also, if they wanted to be consistent, then they should have problems with Vikings (offensive to Scandinavian people) and possibly the Saints (offensive to people who aren't religious).

Last edited:
I always remind people that it was never about that, or anything to do with police.

It's a South Africa, Zimbabwe-esque power play, period.
Yep. Doing things like tearing down statues and changing team names isn't about advancing a particular cause, and it certainly isn't about doing anything logical or consistent. It's a muscle-flexing gesture, because they sense at the current time they are winning the argument.

Does UNC’s ‘Tar Heels’ name celebrate the Confederacy? Some think it’s time for change.

View attachment 293216

“If you call yourself a Tar Heel … you’re cheering for the essence of white supremacy,” Thorpe said. He said it’s like saying “Go Confederate soldiers!” or “It’s a great day to be a Confederate soldier.”

NC history professor Jim Leloudis said the origin of the “Tar Heels” name is complicated and convoluted. He is also co-chair of the university’s Commission on History, Race & A Way Forward, tasked with helping the university reckon with its history. “It’s hard to untangle,” Leloudis said. “The term, at first, is derogatory in terms of race and class, then gets turned into a symbol of Confederate pride and loyalty.”

“During the Civil War, North Carolina soldiers flipped the meaning of the term, and turned an epithet into an accolade. They called themselves ‘tar heels’ as an expression of state pride. Others adopted the term and North Carolina became widely known as the ‘Tar Heel State,’” according to UNC’s website.
I doubt many on this board have a stronger dislike for the University of North Carolina than I do. That said, that school is not at all steeped in white supremacy or racism. For the first time in my life I will be cheering for the University of North Carolina to win at something . That school, with all of its progressive “University of the People” the “Carolina Way” BS that I loathe better not lose this battle to these oversensitive clowns that really just want watch the world burn right now. July 15, 2020 11:45am I’m cheering for UNC. Man 2020 is so ****ed up.

I doubt many on this board have a stronger dislike for the University of North Carolina than I do. That said, that school is not at all steeped in white supremacy or racism. For the first time in my life I will be cheering for the University of North Carolina to win at something . That school, with all of its progressive “University of the People” the “Carolina Way” BS that I loathe better not lose this battle to these oversensitive clowns that really just want watch the world burn right now. July 15, 2020 11:45am I’m cheering for UNC. Man 2020 is so ****ed up.
This one has a long way to go before they actually will change it. The "protest" yesterday had 12 or so people and a professor of history at UNC has already said that history of the nickname isn't racist. It had an association with certain types of jobs and, naturally, some people who held those jobs were Confederate soldiers. It's akin to calling for a boycott of Chevy Silverado pickups because a prominent Klan leader drove one at one point.

Having said that, all of this stuff starts somewhere, and like forest fires it spreads really quickly. Trump was laughed at last year when he said "What's next, George Washington?" and that's exactly what is happening.

View attachment 293216

I thought it was the Indians that were offended by Redskins name -- picture shows a group of radicals dressed as wannabe cops

Reactions: tbh
This one has a long way to go before they actually will change it. The "protest" yesterday had 12 or so people and a professor of history at UNC has already said that history of the nickname isn't racist. It had an association with certain types of jobs and, naturally, some people who held those jobs were Confederate soldiers. It's akin to calling for a boycott of Chevy Silverado pickups because a prominent Klan leader drove one at one point.

Having said that, all of this stuff starts somewhere, and like forest fires it spreads really quickly. Trump was laughed at last year when he said "What's next, George Washington?" and that's exactly what is happening.
I agree with your post entirely . Nothing shocks me anymore with how quickly stupid things pick up steam. I think it’s very important for that school in particular, given the fact that a well known joke said around The Triangle is calling Chapel Hill “The People’s Republic of Chapel Hill”, make a real statement standing up for their institution and squash this before it snowballs.

In all honesty, would a school advocating White supremacy really go out of its way to make African American studies so readily available for all of its students ? 😉
I couldn’t resist to take a shot.

I agree with your post entirely . Nothing shocks me anymore with how quickly stupid things pick up steam. I think it’s very important for that school in particular, given the fact that a well known joke said around The Triangle is calling Chapel Hill “The People’s Republic of Chapel Hill”, make a real statement standing up for their institution and squash this before it snowballs.

In all honesty, would a school advocating White supremacy really go out of its way to make African American studies so readily available for all of its students ? 😉
I couldn’t resist to take a shot.
They'll come after Duke too. I'm sure you know the history, but link for everyone else:

Washington Duke - Wikipedia

VN Store

Back