Jeremy Banks is back on the team

I thought he directly threatened the female officer with retaliation? Watch her back type thing, or was that another player? Hard to remember!
I don’t remember hearing the direct threat but then it was several months ago. I would have to rewatch the video to be certain. I may do that in the next day or two.

I'm still curious, at what point was his scholarship officially taken away? Jennings didn't lose his when Hoke kicked him off, correct? How do we know CJP didn't give him a list of things to do in order to rejoin the team, similar to Jennings? And staying enrolled was one of these....i surely don't see Banks staying in school if he knew he had no chance to come back.....

There's some good news for Tennessee Vols' depth chart

Mathews says in this that he likely never had his scholarship pulled.

As I said in another post, he was removed from the squad list for the spring that had to be submitted to the NCAA prior to spring practice beginning. The squad list is an official document submitted by a school's compliance department prior to the start of a competition season or an out-of-season practice period (spring football, fall baseball/softball, etc). Once a player is removed from that list, they are not eligible for that competition season or practice period and are no longer considered to be on an athletic scholarship. He was allowed to remain in school through the end of the school year, which is standard when a player is dismissed. There's some other technicalities attached to all of that, but that's the gist of it.

Jennings was never removed from the squad list because there was not one submitted between the time Hoke (and Currie ) dismissed him and the time that Pruitt and Fulmer put forth the conditions for him to return.

Defensive response. Wouldn’t it be a “credit” to Banks?

Of course. As I've said before, he worked to make changes in his life, particularly when it comes to the perception of law enforcement and treatment of women. But I would dispute that his situation has anything to do with Justin Martin. Martin had issues with coaches, off-field personnel, and team leaders when he arrived. It took time, but he worked through those and became a better man for it. 100% of Banks' issues were off the field and away from the complex. He was always a model football player when he was inside the football complex. His changes are real life lessons, and he has come a long way with those.

The COVID-19 restrictions caused him to miss some of the programs that were required for him to continue as a student (remember, he had student judicial issues as well as the team dismissal), but the University felt that he was on enough of a right track that they allowed him to remain enrolled for the summer and is presumably eligible to be a student in the fall. Despite that, he was not allowed to return to the football complex and is not a part of the current workouts. If they 100% planned for him to be a scholarship player this fall, it is my belief that he would have been reinstated for these workouts and meeting hours.

You keep coming at me like I have some sort of personal issue with Banks or him returning when I've never said or posted anything like that. I've said repeatedly that I would like to see him back. I have simply said that the current numbers situation makes a return complicated, and some close to the program feel, unlikely. It would have been more certain had there been spring practice and the numbers had thinned out. I think he's done enough to be a part of the football program again.

There are many people in the media that are more optimistic for his return than I am. Many of them thought he'd be out there for the start of spring practice and were surprised when he wasn't. I hope they're right and I'm wrong and I end up being the one surprised when practice starts.

Of course. As I've said before, he worked to make changes in his life, particularly when it comes to the perception of law enforcement and treatment of women. But I would dispute that his situation has anything to do with Justin Martin. Martin had issues with coaches, off-field personnel, and team leaders when he arrived. It took time, but he worked through those and became a better man for it. 100% of Banks' issues were off the field and away from the complex. He was always a model football player when he was inside the football complex. His changes are real life lessons, and he has come a long way with those.

The COVID-19 restrictions caused him to miss some of the programs that were required for him to continue as a student (remember, he had student judicial issues as well as the team dismissal), but the University felt that he was on enough of a right track that they allowed him to remain enrolled for the summer and is presumably eligible to be a student in the fall. Despite that, he was not allowed to return to the football complex and is not a part of the current workouts. If they 100% planned for him to be a scholarship player this fall, it is my belief that he would have been reinstated for these workouts and meeting hours.

You keep coming at me like I have some sort of personal issue with Banks or him returning when I've never said or posted anything like that. I've said repeatedly that I would like to see him back. I have simply said that the current numbers situation makes a return complicated, and some close to the program feel, unlikely. It would have been more certain had there been spring practice and the numbers had thinned out. I think he's done enough to be a part of the football program again.

There are many people in the media that are more optimistic for his return than I am. Many of them thought he'd be out there for the start of spring practice and were surprised when he wasn't. I hope they're right and I'm wrong and I end up being the one surprised when practice starts.
You issued the “he deserves a second chance...just not at UT” line that puts you in league with some posters that don’t follow the same open mindedness you’re espousing in this post. VQ, AtlantaVol and others have repeatedly emphasized he’d be reinstated by August. So I’m going with that timeline.

He's enrolled in school, nothing has changed with that.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, they still have to find a scholarship for him. With the attrition that was expected after the spring, that wouldn't have been a huge issue. Since there wasn't spring and the only player that departed was Jordan, that makes things complicated. They're currently 6 over the limit without Banks, FWIW.
If we are 6 over the limit then why can we recruit another 4?

You issued the “he deserves a second chance...just not at UT” line that puts you in league with some posters that don’t follow the same open mindedness you’re espousing in this post. VQ, AtlantaVol and others have repeatedly emphasized he’d be reinstated by August. So I’m going with that timeline.

That was last November. My views have changed since then based on the progress that he has made.

None of the Freshman LBs will start over Banks. Good try though. Also, Banks is an every down LB. Crouch is a run stopping LB so both of them will play during different situations.

But, good try. Also, I never compared HT and Banks. HT is a way better LB then Banks. But, that is why HT is going to run the defense this year.
Did you use to go by dobbs4heisman???🤔
J/k I like banks and believe he'll be solid at lb if allowed back on the team that is

Did you use to go by dobbs4heisman???🤔
J/k I like banks and believe he'll be solid at lb if allowed back on the team that is
Well he is already working out with them. So.... I’d say he is back in some capacity. Also, never compare me to D4H 😂 that dude was a joke.

I see a couple of terms on Defense I had not heard of before. “Buck” for Lb and “Money” at DB. What situations are they used for? I know “Star” is used when a 5th DB is on the field.

Buck is a designated OLB pass rusher on passing downs. Deandre Johnson is expected to fill that role this season. We've got some real nice young prospects and commits at this position (Joesph, Brooks) ... Depending on how good of a player he is, Buck can be an every down player (Darrell Taylor)

Money is a 6th DB (dime package) on obvious passing situations

Last edited:
Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
So you were wrong? Renewed hope for those that proclaim something negative and follow with “I wish I was wrong.” 😏

No. Knowing what I knew about the situation then, I'd say the same thing.

The situation changed. How he behaved changed. How he reacted changed. Your opinion on something or someone can change over time without being right or wrong on something. I'm not sure what about that is so hard to understand.

No. Knowing what I knew about the situation then, I'd say the same thing.

The situation changed. How he behaved changed. How he reacted changed. Your opinion on something or someone can change over time without being right or wrong on something. I'm not sure what about that is so hard to understand.
So you were right when you STATED he wouldn’t be back? Key word “knew”. Sometimes we all get confused on the definition of that particular bugger!

Fair point but weed plus gun is a problem. .

Not for Saban. In 2016, Two of his players, one an All-SEC starting OT, the other a 5* DB were arrested for drug possession and felony possession of a firearm. They didn't miss squat and Saban defended them and basically told everyone in the press to F-off. Charges were dropped by the DA who said that it could not be determined which of the players was actually in possession of the drugs or gun. Anyone ever heard of that one before?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back