What is Shorter - One Planck Unit or One Gaffney Unit??

VolInNW

Trapped in PAC 12 Country
Yes. I'm Bored, so figured we could discuss some infamous moments in Vol history.

Question - Has the world of physics been wrong for over 19 years? Per Wikipedia, the shortest measurable unit of time is the Planck Unit, described as follows (from the wiki entry):

Planck time[edit]
A Planck time unit is the time required for light to travel a distance of 1 Planck length in a vacuum, which is a time interval of approximately 5.39 × 10−44 s.[44] All scientific experiments and human experiences occur over time scales that are many orders of magnitude longer than the Planck time,[45] making any events happening at the Planck scale undetectable with current scientific technology. As of November 2016[update], the smallest time interval uncertainty in direct measurements was on the order of 850 zeptoseconds (8.50 × 10−19 seconds).[46]

While there is currently no known way to measure time intervals on the scale of the Planck time, researchers in 2020 proposed a theoretical apparatus and experiment that, if ever realized, could be capable of being influenced by effects on time as short as 10−33 seconds, thus establishing an upper detectable limit for the quantization of a time that is roughly 20 billion times longer than the Planck time.[47][48]

Those of us who observed the Jabar Gaffney 'catch' in 2000 would argue that the Planck now an antiquated unit, that in fact the magnitude of time that Gaffney actually had physical contact with the pass is some fraction of this relatively long period of time.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
Yes. I'm Bored, so figured we could discuss some infamous moments in Vol history.

Question - Has the world of physics been wrong for over 19 years? Per Wikipedia, the shortest measurable unit of time is the Planck Unit, described as follows (from the wiki entry):

Planck time[edit]
A Planck time unit is the time required for light to travel a distance of 1 Planck length in a vacuum, which is a time interval of approximately 5.39 × 10−44 s.[44] All scientific experiments and human experiences occur over time scales that are many orders of magnitude longer than the Planck time,[45] making any events happening at the Planck scale undetectable with current scientific technology. As of November 2016[update], the smallest time interval uncertainty in direct measurements was on the order of 850 zeptoseconds (8.50 × 10−19 seconds).[46]

While there is currently no known way to measure time intervals on the scale of the Planck time, researchers in 2020 proposed a theoretical apparatus and experiment that, if ever realized, could be capable of being influenced by effects on time as short as 10−33 seconds, thus establishing an upper detectable limit for the quantization of a time that is roughly 20 billion times longer than the Planck time.[47][48]

Those of us who observed the Jabar Gaffney 'catch' in 2000 would argue that the Planck now an antiquated unit, that in fact the magnitude of time that Gaffney actually had physical contact with the pass is some fraction of this relatively long period of time.

Thoughts??

Would have been overturned upon review, no question. However, I think that was second down, so the Vol defense would have still needed to hold up.

The Planck unit is the amount of time that it takes to pull a frame in from a parallel reality through which our consciousness projects the illusion of physical reality we experience.

Reactions: RockyTop140
The Planck is equal to the length of time when the toe touches the ball for the kickoff in Alabama’s opening game and when the university claims another national championship

Every time this comes up, I say the same thing. When I watch the replay, what pisses me off the most is that the official was completely screened yet he signals touchdown and pumps his arms like he’s really, really sure of the call.

There’s literally no way that Linesman could’ve seen the ball get secured from that angle.

Every time this comes up, I say the same thing. When I watch the replay, what pisses me off the most is that the official was completely screened yet he signals touchdown and pumps his arms like he’s really, really sure of the call.

There’s literally no way that Linesman could’ve seen the ball get secured from that angle.

Good grief. That clip just grates me every time I watch it. How in the heck do you EVER call that a TD?

20 years later, and I'm still irked.

Probably the same moron who officiated the USCe game last year that missed 3 calls on the goal line. Muschump must have had pictures on that guy.

Also, the F'n official is a Vandy grad!!!!

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Would have been overturned upon review, no question. However, I think that was second down, so the Vol defense would have still needed to hold up.
Was sitting in that end zone that day. To me the game was lost letting them march the length of the field in no time to even have a shot. Same with Ga in 2001. It wasn't lack of crowd noise, I can guarantee that.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Every time I think officials are getting worse, I remember this call.

Most egregious thing I've ever seen. I remember the rage I felt as a young 10 year old.

The officials were (and still are) just conditioned for Florida to beat Tennessee. Gator QB throws the ball in the end zone to beat the Vols, official automatically raises his hands. Pavlovian response.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel

Planck time[edit]

Thoughts??
best COVID thread by far

bravo

Planck time[edit]

Thoughts??

You really do not handle boredom well.

Jabar,

I am impressed with how short you could hold onto it.

Signed,

Rick Pitino

The Gaff (i'm near-sighted) I witnessed in my only visit to Neyland that year
+
failure to pursue a minor in physics
+
delight with your avatar [i was sentenced to live in tide land
=
a nobel-worthy post for these days

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

He was a former Vandy player. And that wasn’t his only bad call on the Vols that day or in his career.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back