Best fireworks debate.

McDad

I can't brain today; I has the dumb.
We've debated Halloween candy. That was fun. What about fireworks.

What are the best and worst fireworks currently or from your childhood?

Best:
1. Bottle rockets
1a. Roman candles

Because any firework which can become a weapon is already the best by default

Worst:
1. Snakes.
2. Smoke bombs.

If it don't go "boom" it isn't a firework.

This reminded me of a 4th of July part I went to 10+ years ago. There were 3 guys there from a NG unit and they'd built a mortar tube setup to launch some massive shells. The guy that owned the house competed with other guys in the neighborhood to see who could have the best show and they were spending serious money. They were running it just like a heavy weapon platoon with a loader, spotter, etc. Anyways at some point something with a bit too much mustard rocked the setup and it fell over pointing at all of us watching. We all took off as these shells are bouncing off the house and exploding around us, except for one dude in a lawn chair drinking Jager straight from the bottle. I'm not totally sure he knew what was happening. We got to the front side of the house and someone said oh **** the guy in the chair where is he. We went back and it was like the uncle in Christmas Vacation, a massive cloud of smoke and he's just sitting there asking where everyone went. Didn't have a scratch on him. The tube was fixed and rounds were completed.

Best:
1. Bottle rockets
1a. Roman candles

Worst:
1. Snakes.
2. Smoke bombs.

I agree with your best. Bottle rocket fights were fun, and not dangerous at all.

Sparklers are lame as hell.

I agree with your best. Bottle rocket fights were fun, and not dangerous at all.

Sparklers are lame as hell.
shouldnt sparklers get their own honorable mention or something? What can the really old or the really young kids do if they don't have sparklers?

Anybody ever made a sparkler bomb? Get like 5 packs of the metal ones and some electrical tape, stick one out in the middle and tape the rest around it in a bundle, lots of tape. Light the one sticking out and let it get down to the rest and BOOM! Sounds almost like a shotgun.

Reactions: McDad
I've always thought of fireworks as literally setting your money on fire.
Me and two buddies had a tent one summer. Got our product from Old Glory in Smyrna. Our markup was insane. Thousands of times cost, but you have to make almost all your money for the year during a one-month, or less, time frame. You give away tons of stuff and you have to leave a lot of cushion for the people who want to negotiate. We were one of three tents at the Goose Greek bypass exit south of Franklin (probably now in Franklin city limits) one summer in the early 90s. I had a cot, a black and white TV and a shotgun. So much fun.

Best:
1. Bottle rockets
1a. Roman candles

Worst:
1. Snakes.
2. Smoke bombs.

this is like the best milk debate. they all come from same factory in China.

I have several farrworks places as clients. one feller deals im bulk and makes routine trips to Wuhan of all places.

let the debates, rednecks.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Me and two buddies had a tent one summer. Got our product from Old Glory in Smyrna. Our markup was insane. Thousands of times cost, but you have to make almost all your money for the year during a one-month, or less, time frame. You give away tons of stuff and you have to leave a lot of cushion for the people who want to negotiate. We were one of three tents at the Goose Greek bypass exit south of Franklin (probably now in Franklin city limits) one summer in the early 90s. I had a cot, a black and white TV and a shotgun. So much fun.
How much did you profit? Curious. Theres 4 tents within 2 miles of my house.

Reactions: McDad
How much did you profit? Curious. Theres 4 tents within 2 miles of my house.
This was probably 1991. IIRC I netted a little less than $2k, but everyone paid cash back then and we weren't the world's best accountants. It sounds awful now but back then the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour so if I'd worked a minimum wage job 40 hours a week for 12 weeks, I would've come out about the same (before tax withholding). We paid a nominal amount to rent the space which included electricity, but renting the tent and paying for set up was the biggest single cost other than inventory.

They weren't around for my childhood, but it's hard to argue against mortar shells being #1. The big multi-shots are awesome, but $50 for 20 seconds of fun is step.

Yeah...a step towards the po' house.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Does anyone else remember M80s...and do they still sell those? Talk about blowing stuff to smithereens.

Reactions: joevol33
Freelance Fire works Hall of Fame. If you are uninitiated, enjoy the majesty that are Rhett and Link!

VN Store

Back