I wonder what the players are thinking........

People do your homework and look at the numbers. This virus is not the problem it's being made out to be. Play the season and get on with life. Do we shut the world down each year for the flu.. NO.. This has a lower death rate than the flu and much lower in young people. I'm sure the nannies on hear will blast me but wake up people you are being taken for a ride. If you don't want to got to a game then stay the hell home and let the rest of us live our lives. ENOUGH>

You aint scared yet - well, well what else can we do?? Yep you are right get on with life!

He cannot find them.I played QB in HS (many years ago) but I always rotated the ball and got my fingers on the laces.Gives better grip.JMOUT-Manning iron.jpg

I'm sure 100% of the student athletes want to play. But that's not the issue at hand. I'm hopeful a solution will be on it's way soon, but with states starting to shutdown again and universities like Georgia having huge spikes of positive tests, it seems like wishful thinking, at best, that a football season happens this year. And basketball. Which is truly a shame. As our basketball team was going to be ELITE this year.
Crazy when more testing is done you see more positive tests being reported...

People do your homework and look at the numbers. This virus is not the problem it's being made out to be. Play the season and get on with life. Do we shut the world down each year for the flu.. NO.. This has a lower death rate than the flu and much lower in young people. I'm sure the nannies on hear will blast me but wake up people you are being taken for a ride. If you don't want to got to a game then stay the hell home and let the rest of us live our lives. ENOUGH>
It seems that you have a lot of homework to do if this is really what you think. Scientists do not play politics. They are responsible for the elimination of smallpox from the World as well as the near elimination of polio world wide, Except when uninformed parents Who refuse to have their children vaccinated against vaccine preventable diseases, children no longer die form childhood diseases for which vaccines have been developed and used. Children can no longer have to suffer from birth defects caused by rubella or die from measles. We are in the middle of a real pandemic for which we have no vaccine or no effective treatment. I have no idea what your profession might be, and suggest you learn just a little bit about diseases before you demonstrate your lack of knowledge about any branch of Medical science.

My oldest son (22) is in the coast guard and getting over covid. He basically had a scratchy throat. A former student at the high school I work at (24) is on a ventillator and at one of the best hospitals in the state and not looking good. A family friend lost his mother today. She has been on vent for a month. You could flip any of those people I just posted and have completely changed my world. It impacts everyone differently. That is probably the biggest problem with the illness. If you aren't impacted, you won't see it as a big deal. If you are, then you can't figure out why people are being so casual about it. If our players play and everyone has a scratchy throat, we'll say " I told you it was no big deal." If one of our players dies, "What were they thinking putting those players together?" The question is, how much life do we lose by not living and how much freedom do you sacrifice for safety? There is always a balance. (Side note: I just can't figure out how we are propping up the economy right now to even have a choice.) I guess I said all that to say this: People have fear when they walk out the door of their home and make choices that impact their life everyday. These players are playing football in college for one of 3 reasons. They love the game, they are attempting to make a career of it, or they are just trying to pay for an education. They will all have different opinions and they are all right and wrong at the same time. Be respectful and understanding of others regardless of your own opinions. Apply that to all aspects of life and remember that you never know what kind of day someone else is having so just be nice.

They should look at data and feel very comfortable.

I agree. But there are a ton of people out there who will still their soul in 2 seconds if one of the propaganda networks tells them to live in fear. Plus the lawsuit fears have colleges in fear. So, I think a lot of them may be in fear too.
Fear is a powerful force.

My oldest son (22) is in the coast guard and getting over covid. He basically had a scratchy throat. A former student at the high school I work at (24) is on a ventillator and at one of the best hospitals in the state and not looking good. A family friend lost his mother today. She has been on vent for a month. You could flip any of those people I just posted and have completely changed my world. It impacts everyone differently. That is probably the biggest problem with the illness. If you aren't impacted, you won't see it as a big deal. If you are, then you can't figure out why people are being so casual about it. If our players play and everyone has a scratchy throat, we'll say " I told you it was no big deal." If one of our players dies, "What were they thinking putting those players together?" The question is, how much life do we lose by not living and how much freedom do you sacrifice for safety? There is always a balance. (Side note: I just can't figure out how we are propping up the economy right now to even have a choice.) I guess I said all that to say this: People have fear when they walk out the door of their home and make choices that impact their life everyday. These players are playing football in college for one of 3 reasons. They love the game, they are attempting to make a career of it, or they are just trying to pay for an education. They will all have different opinions and they are all right and wrong at the same time. Be respectful and understanding of others regardless of your own opinions. Apply that to all aspects of life and remember that you never know what kind of day someone else is having so just be nice.
You have covered a number of subjects and the answers to these subjects have different solutions. From the beginning of time as we know it, humanity has faced may different problems. During the last 8,000 to 10,000 years, humans have faced major caused of almost mass extension.
We have major deaths from pandemics which have killed as many as half of the population. Millions have died from war and others millions have die from starvation. Humans used to roam the earth living alone or in very small gatherings. As humans progress, they learned how to live their lives in harmony and they began to live to live in villages and then large towns and cities. As this happened, people how had the same idea of how they wanted to live together tended to gather together. However, as these cities, town, countries grew and became larger, some people in those lacations began to kill, rob, cheat and used other means to take advantage of other people. This resulted in choosing people to become leaders of their communities, ans societies where formed. These societies passed laws to protect those who suffered from the actions of those who's acts conflicted with the majority of the society. We learned, through medicine, how to protect and treat people from many of the many diseases and how to save others who beome infected from disease. The fact is, some people are unwilling to agree to the rules and laws of living in any society and choose to rebel. Wars result and the societies with the most advanced military weapons become the rulers of those communities /countries. Through out history, this method has ruled most countries. Dictators are still in power in many areas of the World. We are very fortunate to live in America with our Republic from of Government. However, we still face the problems of disease, war, and a poor population of nearly 30 % of our population. We still need to have laws, rules and other ways of benefiting our population. We live in a society wher we care about the health and well being of our fellow man. We have learned to rely on those who are experts in certain areas of our society such as law, medicine, management, manufacturing,pluming,farming, etc. to allow us to live safe and productive lives. Sometimes we face unusual events which test our way of life which may affect different segments of our population. In the case of a pandemic caused by a new virus about which we have no data about the epidemiology of that virus, it is impossible to know how that virus attacks our bodies, regardless of age, sex, race or economic status. In these conditions. our society requires us to do what ever is necessary to protect all members of the world where possible. To do less, is a crime against our modern society. Otherwise, we can revert back to prehistoric societies which preceeded modern man. I realize this is a long and maybe confusing post , but I think one can realize the point which is important to our way of life.

It seems that you have a lot of homework to do if this is really what you think. Scientists do not play politics. They are responsible for the elimination of smallpox from the World as well as the near elimination of polio world wide, Except when uninformed parents Who refuse to have their children vaccinated against vaccine preventable diseases, children no longer die form childhood diseases for which vaccines have been developed and used. Children can no longer have to suffer from birth defects caused by rubella or die from measles. We are in the middle of a real pandemic for which we have no vaccine or no effective treatment. I have no idea what your profession might be, and suggest you learn just a little bit about diseases before you demonstrate your lack of knowledge about any branch of Medical science.
Dude get real. Don't we have the flu every year. Tell me one thing the so called scientific community has been right on with covid they change there position every few days. Wake the hell up. If you want to be a shut in then more power to you but let the rest of use make up our own mind. If we let this continue there will always be something to keep us down or controlled. We use to live in a free society but that's disappearing very quickly.

I don’t see how they could play without fans, schools need the money to pay for all the non revenues sports. I can see all games being on pay per view so the schools can make a little money, I’m not sure how many people would pay to watch, be cheaper but not as much fun than a game day in Knoxville.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I don’t see how they could play without fans, schools need the money to pay for all the non revenues sports. I can see all games being on pay per view so the schools can make a little money, I’m not sure how many people would pay to watch, be cheaper but not as much fun than a game day in Knoxville.
The majority of the money comes from TV revenues

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Dude get real. Don't we have the flu every year. Tell me one thing the so called scientific community has been right on with covid they change there position every few days. Wake the hell up. If you want to be a shut in then more power to you but let the rest of use make up our own mind. If we let this continue there will always be something to keep us down or controlled. We use to live in a free society but that's disappearing very quickly.

Did he say "scientist don't play politics"?

The problem is that we have politicians that are playing scientist. Fauci is more politician than scientist. Yes he's an MD but so are Rand Paul and John Barrasso.

Congrats on one of the most ignorant statements ever written on this board. If you do any sort of research you can see from governmentally gathered data that the Coronavirus is about 20 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. I doubt you can find any credible source data that will tell you differently, but I'll wait for your educated reply to prove me wrong.

The problem is that we have politicians that are playing scientist. Fauci is more politician than scientist. Yes he's an MD but so are Rand Paul and John Barrasso.
Neither Paul or Barrasso have the specialty or experience that Fauci has. I worked with Dr. Fauci before I retired from CDC and know his expertise in the area for viral and bacterial diseases. What he is saying is the truth. His forecasts have been on the spot. It is a known and admitted fact that Paul and Barrasso are also politicians. On this subject, I go with Fauci way more than with Paul or Barraso.

Reactions: CSVol and volsack
Well,you certainly fit into the group who is uneducated about Covid-19 or influnza. The scientific community has the obligation to provide the facts and the epidemiological data to those who do make decisions about the Public health of our Nation. Failure to follow those guidelines and recommendations are why we have, on average, more than 40,000 to 60,000 premature deaths every year in people who are unwilling to get the Flu vaccine. There will be just as may who will refuse the Covid-19 vaccine when and if one is determined to be safe and efficient. Until a safe and effective vaccine or an effective treatment is developed, those who are so self centered will be the major cause for millions of cases and thousands of deaths from the Covid-19 virus. We have more freedom than any other major Country in the World and we can retain that distinction if we used just a little common sense to help protect our Nations public health.

Congrats on one of the most ignorant statements ever written on this board. If you do any sort of research you can see from governmentally gathered data that the Coronavirus is about 20 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. I doubt you can find any credible source data that will tell you differently, but I'll wait for your educated reply to prove me wrong.

Can you show us anything that says Covid is 20 times more deadly than the seasonal flu?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
This post, as all others these days on Volnation, seem to show a choosing of lines and willingness to give up all of our freedoms in regards to this virus. I hope that Coach Fulmer, Coach Pruitt and all our team and coaches, get back to it this week and get ready to play some football in September- December with a great bowl game. It's time to get going again and getting back to life. For those who desire to stay home and wear a mask in their house, let them! For those who don't and want to go to the games and get out, let them! This is America. We have sense. We can read and write. I read reports every day concerning this virus and other sicknesses and illnesses. I have certain things I have to watch out for because of propensities towards some problematic issues. I know those and have to manage them myself. I also am driven to do certain things that can effect others and so I have to make a choice not to do them. Again, this is America. So, those who are living in fear of this- what are you afraid of? It is your choice to stay home but it's mine to get out. Let's get out there and play football. I can't wait to hear "It's Football time in Tennessee" and "Good Old Rocky Top." Come on folks let's get back to talking about University of Tennessee and cheering our guys on together! Go Vols!!

Crazy when more testing is done you see more positive tests being reported...
I told the guidance counselors at the local high that if "you don't test no one has it" works, we should ban teenage girls from taking pregnancy tests.

Can you show us anything that says Covid is 20 times more deadly than the seasonal flu?

Here ya go, direct from the CDC. Look at the chart about halfway down the page. CDC covid-influenza data

Also from the CDC "During two weeks in mid-April, 29,933 COVID-19 deaths were counted in the United States. In contrast, according to CDC, counted deaths during the peak week of the influenza seasons from 2013-2020 ranged from 351 (2016) to 1626 (2018).

The mean number of counted deaths during the peak week of influenza seasons from 2013-2020 was 752.4."

Here's my empirical data, where's yours?

VN Store

Back