Second Vol tests positive for COVID

Clemson is doing it the right way. They have over 40 players test positive to date.

They've invited multiple Covid19 folks to hang out with them in the weight/training rooms, dining hall, sleeping dorms and locker room to infect as many players as possible before the season starts.

My prediction is 2020 National Champs as they will not have a player miss a start due to having had everyone contract Covid19 prior to the season and herd immunity develop.

And if a couple of them get it and have serious complications from it, no big deal.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Couple Questions.

when a person test Positive and later test positive again are both positive test counted in the nations rising covid count????

Are positive antibody test being counted?

Couple Questions.

when a person test Positive and later test positive again are both positive test counted in the nations rising covid count????

Yes to all of those. A fact that isn’t being broadcasted

Yes to all of those. A fact that isn’t being broadcasted

I am sure it varies state to state (as we have no comprehensive federal testing plan), but my guess is those all count. With that said, the number of positive reported tests still vastly understates the number of actual infections.

Reactions: LaTechVol
agreed

Which would mean death and hospitalization rates are vastly overstated

Well, I think that most estimates, and certainly the more recent ones, attempt to take into account the understating of cases (and deaths) when analyzing the death rate. It isn't like they are just dividing reported deaths by reported cases. There are obviously lots of assumptions and educated guesses on both sides of the fraction. With all that said, it is clear to me you want to avoid getting it if at all possible.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
With all that said, it is clear to me you want to avoid getting it if at all possible.

IF and it’s a big IF we knew there are no long term effects of having the virus I would be fine going ahead of getting the virus myself if it meant the return to normal life. I think the death and hospitalization rates are low enough that I’ll take my chances.

Jmo

Reactions: walkenvol
agreed

We've known this since the beginning. Pretty massive difference between (known) case fatality rate and (actual) infection fatality rate.

Based on NY, your fatality rate was at a minimum of 0.2-0.3%, probably slightly higher. Basically a flu that's 3x deadlier and doesn't have a vaccine. Still scary stuff, but not the 3-5% you were seeing from those early numbers.

Couple Questions.

If they are, the reporting City-County-State has the most antiquated record system I have ever heard about. I doubt that any reporting system in today's society.

if I’m running the NCAA I am already making the switch to football in the spring

1) golf and other non spectator sports play in the fall

2) a vaccine hits in late fall

3) hoops is delayed until Jan 1

4) football/baseball is played March/May

And off we go

Ricky P stealing my thoughts

Reactions: i2amavol
I ran across this 2-week old article on ESPN randomly. I suppose this doesn't necessarily confirm or deny anything, but at one point it reads, "Josiah-Jordan James, a sophomore guard on the men's basketball team, spoke to reporters last week about how tough it was seeing two teammates test positive for COVID-19."

So it's implying that JJJ was not one of affected players. I know that's very little news that may not even be true, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I ran across this 2-week old article on ESPN randomly. I suppose this doesn't necessarily confirm or deny anything, but at one point it reads, "Josiah-Jordan James, a sophomore guard on the men's basketball team, spoke to reporters last week about how tough it was seeing two teammates test positive for COVID-19."

So it's implying that JJJ was not one of affected players. I know that's very little news that may not even be true, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Saw that, good catch. Now, who are the "other two"?

[VIDEO=]

agreed

Not overstated. Maybe the percentage of hospital rated per infection could be slightly overstated if they were reported twice for the same infection. However, those who were reported positive and then three months later reported positive should be reported again if that had a negative report between the two positive reports. This has happened, but it is very very rare. This is one of the reasons why the duration of antibodies is still not known. It also leads to the question of how long vaccine antibodies will last.

Not overstated. Maybe the percentage of hospital rated per infection could be slightly overstated if they were reported twice for the same infection. However, those who were reported positive and then three months later reported positive should be reported again if that had a negative report between the two positive reports. This has happened, but it is very very rare. This is one of the reasons why the duration of antibodies is still not known. It also leads to the question of how long vaccine antibodies will last.
Extended family member was in a rehab facility due to a stroke and contracted Covid. They moved her to the local hospital where Covid positive patients were being quarantined even though she never displayed any of the symptoms. She was there 2 months and tested negative multiple times yet they would not release her until she had 2 consecutive negative tests. She could have been counted 6-8 times if a negative test followed by a positive constituted a new case

VN Store

Back