Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally im all about keepin' past in past.

Butch Jones can suck a phatwon. Asshat. Dang snakeoil salesman, treated people like garbage, then duck tail and ran to Nicky. All while making us pay millions. Coward.

Reminds me of Ephialtes in 300.
I agree, as long as it doesn't come back to hurt UT.

With all these covid-19 cases flaring up, I wonder if a kid wanted to transfer say from a school like Clemson with lots of players testing positive, would the NCAA grant them immediate eligibility for a hardship? Just curious everyone thoughts if you think kids might use this as another excuse to transfer?

Reactions: gainesvol82
With all these covid-19 cases flaring up, I wonder if a kid wanted to transfer say from a school like Clemson with lots of players testing positive, would the NCAA grant them immediate eligibility for a hardship? Just curious everyone thoughts if you think kids might use this as another excuse to transfer?
No.

IDK if anyone will transfer but I think it would be a way for the NCAA to say "see we care about the students" to let them transfer with immediate eligibility due to COVID

Continuing with some early preseason previews of some of our more significant opponents for 2020. This time: Florida

For the depth chart I used Our Lads, the Florida roster, AllGators website, and UF247 as sources.

ScreenHunter 464.png

The first thing to note with Florida is that they have already lost at least 14 guys from the 41 combined signees for the 2018 & 2019 classes. While in almost all of those cases they have also lost the initial counters, which Mehlen cries about being unfair, McElwain did leave room for them to back count a few bodies. Mehlen has responded by bringing in 8 transfers to fill the void. They operated last year with a reduced roster size but with the addition of those transfers and a larger signing class in 2020 they should be back to a more respectable number. The only issue is even with the transfers they’ve brought in they’re likely to be limited on experienced depth.

Florida returns their kicker from last year but must replace their punter, their long snapper, the kick-off returner, and their punt returner.

They lost 3 very productive senior wide receivers, their starting center, their starting running back, the defensive signal caller and leader of their defense, both main guys from their pass rush, an NFL-bound defensive tackle, and an all-SEC lockdown corner. They rank just below us in returning production this year, #61 overall vs our #50, on offense they’re pegged at #67, we’re at #59, and on defense, they come in at #55 while we’re at #50.

While they expect to return 4 of their 5 starting offensive linemen from last year, their rushing yards per game ranked #13 in the conference in 2019. We were #8. In some circles we’re expected to have maybe the 2nd best OLine in the conference this year but a lot of that is owing not just to talent but also returning starts. Florida’s offensive line is expected to improve solely based on returning starts because they have no talent on their offensive line, not a single guy who could get into our starting lineup. jmo.

Florida has a QB and a tight end. That’s the extent of the known strengths of their offense. Nothing else is really proven. jmo.

On defense they have 2 proven corners; I’m not sure they have much more than that, at least not that’s really proven. There seems to be some real concern about the lack of coverage skills for most of their linebackers.

It is important I think to keep our recent contests with Florida in perspective. I think the first 3 possessions for each side last year is indicative of both the game in 2018 and the game in 2019.
  • UF rush 3 times for 13 yards, pass 2-2 for 62 yards, TD
  • UT rush 1 time for 6 yards, pass 4-5 for 44 yards, punt (Calbert 15 yard personal foul penalty)
  • UF rush 2 times for 8 yards, pass 1-1 for 21 yards, sack/fumble
  • UT rush 2 times for 8 yards, pass 1-2 for 8 yards, JG intercepted
  • UF rush 6 times for 26 yards, pass 2-3 for 23 yards, turns ball over on downs
  • UT rush 4 times for 8 yards, pass 3-5 for 33 yards, JG intercepted
We actually intercepted Trask 2 times last year on their field, one by Theo and one by Alontae. We also threw another interception, that one by Brian in relief or JG. We actually had another fumble recovery too, the one by Burrell that was ruled out of bounds but on the same possession HT got the sack/fumble so it worked out pretty good.

I think our defense is more than good enough to beat Florida this year but as of yet I’m not convinced we’ve fixed our offense. Sure we should improve on the running game and perhaps that will help out the passing game but there are a couple issues that have to have our focus. First, we can’t have stupid drive-killing penalties that put us so far behind the chains that it becomes hopeless. Second, I would argue, not a single one our returning QBs has ever in their history of the game, whether in high school or college, demonstrated any ability for good decision-making. Pruitt has harped on this time and time and time and time and time again. It’s killing us against good teams.

Well, we have a new guy coming in, Harrison Bailey, that has a stellar high school resume chalked full of evidence of good decision-making. His high school offensive lines have been grossly inferior to the competition he has faced and yet he has stood tall, taken a beating, and maintained a track record of good decision-making. Good decision making, many argue, is an innate trait in a QB. The guy either has it or he doesn’t. There is no magic pill that’s going to fix that.

Bailey has been compared to Peyton Manning in his work ethic. I’m very skeptical that our offense will turn the corner until he or someone else takes the reins at QB. Einstein reportedly once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I think if Pruitt wants to beat Florida this year he has to insist that Chaney put a QB on the field that is capable of and committed to good decision-making and that’s all he needs to do. Everything else is in place.

Prediction:
Pruitt is not insane; he will beat Florida this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back