Lady Vols vs UConn 2021

Need to beat them this season (we have the talent) or we will drop to 9-15 all time in the series!!!
Lady Vols will host UConn in January for Revival Series

Grr. UT had every chance to beat them last year. Every chance. For Connecticut to shoot under 35% from the field, under 25% from three -- that was a huge open door, practically an open garage door. 27 freaking turnovers. Just ridiculous. If Tennessee is in a similar position this year they better slam the damn door on them.

I would have not scheduled them until we have more talent. You hate to fall further behind in series results and streaks when you need to beat them for a recruit or two to get back to relevant.
Tennessee will be weaker compared to last year, and UConn will be stronger. This will not end well.

This past season is the one they should have won. They just gave it away in the 2nd half. A real shame...

weaker how?
They had 27 turnovers in that game, and their best ballhandler is gone. I don't see the incoming class being able to contribute more than the departing Jaz and Lou. Outside of Rennia, I'm not sure who's going to consistently make shots against a strong defensive team...especially since UConn will have addressed both of their gaps last year: an elite wing player and bench depth at all positions.

They had 27 turnovers in that game, and their best ballhandler is gone. I don't see the incoming class being able to contribute more than the departing Jaz and Lou. Outside of Rennia, I'm not sure who's going to consistently make shots against a strong defensive team...especially since UConn will have addressed both of their gaps last year: an elite wing player and bench depth at all positions.

I don’t know I think a year of growth may rectify some of those turnovers... I don’t think it’ll be 27 even with the “best ball handler” gone... UConn will def be better but I think we can show improvement.

I also remember this isn’t just game but a game for a good cause and part of the money goes to Alzheimer’s and research.

Tennessee will be weaker compared to last year, and UConn will be stronger. This will not end well.

This past season is the one they should have won. They just gave it away in the 2nd half. A real shame...
I believe we’ll be stronger. Tamari and Jordan will make that Freshman to Sophomore huge improvement. Kasi, Rennia, and Rae will be strong. If Keyen can score, she can make a big contribution. We’ll have to wait and see how well the rest of the team can help, but we have impressive starters.

I believe we’ll be stronger. Tamari and Jordan will make that Freshman to Sophomore huge improvement. Kasi, Rennia, and Rae will be strong. If Keyen can score, she can make a big contribution. We’ll have to wait and see how well the rest of the team can help, but we have impressive starters.
yup dont knock em down till we see a couple of games!!!

I think as a program we are moving in the right direction, but we are not there yet. UConn, along with Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Oregon are at another level compared to us, and it may be some time before we get there. This is not a criticism, its just a fact. Tennessee is no longer apart of the national conversation as far as the national title is concerned, and yes it pains me to no end. So what will get us back to the top? 1. The first step has already taken place, a new coach, go Coach Harper. 2. I don't want to get bogged down into why players left the program, whether they got mad, felt abandoned, got in trouble, lost playing time, or what ever the reason, and some reasons are true, the fact of the matter is perspective recruits only hear in their heads that top players and players they know are leaving Tennessee. This has to stop, if we are going to win the recruiting battle nationally. 3. We have to start landing more of the nation's premier high school players. Landing one is good, but its not enough, you have to have an abundance. I know we had 7 HS all-Americans on one team and look what happen, don't get me started. But seriously, how many championship teams have a big 3, remember the 3 Mique's? 4. We have to do a better job at player development. Players must show a marked improvement in their game, and in their physical levels from year to year. 5. We must make major strides in our strength and conditioning as a program. This not a criticism, this an area unlike talent, we can have a year in - year out advantage over other teams. UConn's style of play exposes team in this area relentlessly, before you know it your down by 20 and tired to no end. These are but some of the changes I we need to make, and If we can fill these gaps, not only will be back, but the whole basketball world will once stop again and take notice, why, UConn and Tennessee are playing and its for all the money.

Too bad none of them are point guards...

wouldn't their primary point guard for next season be EW who like Jordan is also turnover prone

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I don’t know I think a year of growth may rectify some of those turnovers... I don’t think it’ll be 27 even with the “best ball handler” gone... UConn will def be better but I think we can show improvement.

I also remember this isn’t just game but a game for a good cause and part of the money goes to Alzheimer’s and research.

The majority of the turnovers in the UConn game were from panicked plays, and that ran the gamut from newbies to veterans. Inbound plays in particular were disastrous. Part of it is composure on the player's part not to freak out, but Tennessee's ball handling in general has needed a complete overhauling for several years now. I think Kellie will improve that, but I think it will take more than 1 abbreviated year to make progress...especially when she's got players at different positions out of necessity.

The majority of the turnovers in the UConn game were from panicked plays, and that ran the gamut from newbies to veterans. Inbound plays in particular were disastrous. Part of it is composure on the player's part not to freak out, but Tennessee's ball handling in general has needed a complete overhauling for several years now. I think Kellie will improve that, but I think it will take more than 1 abbreviated year to make progress...especially when she's got players at different positions out of necessity.

Yea, but will those players that were playing key roles be panicked being a year older? We just see it differently and that’s ok. I’m just glad their will be one top notch competition and it’s for a good cause.

So it’ll be whatever it’ll be but regardless it will be a learning opportunity.

Have a great day and stay safe 😃

UConn has lost Megan Walker and arguably their best player in Crystal,probably one of the only reason they stayed afloat in games they lost South Carolina,Oregon,Baylor. They have 5 incoming freshmans,2 sophmores, and 3 juniors. only Williams and Ododa have starter experience from last season. No one really know the state of Evina after her injury. idk unless their frehman prove to be something UConn looks vulnerable to me.

UConn has lost Megan Walker and arguably their best player in Crystal,probably one of the only reason they stayed afloat in games they lost South Carolina,Oregon,Baylor. They have 5 incoming freshmans,2 sophmores, and 3 juniors. only Williams and Ododa have starter experience from last season. No one really know the state of Evina after her injury. idk unless their frehman prove to be something UConn looks vulnerable to me.

Makurat is another returning starter, and a good one.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Connecticut has a system in place that has produced players who know their roles and responsibilities for decades. Stability breeds confidence. And they have that in spades. To think that youth will somehow hamstring them would be a mistake. The Huskies played a terrible game against us last year, and if you examine their history, terrible games are an aberration for them. They are not going to be weaker. They will be who they are. And they will be motivated to erase the memory of last year's terrible game on Tennessee's home court. Hell, a certain player on their team will be especially motivated to humiliate Tennessee. They will be heading to Knoxville ready to go to war.

If Tennessee wants to beat Connecticut, the Lady Vols will have to be better. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:
If Tennessee wants to beat Connecticut, the Lady Vols will have to be better. That's all there is to it.

The golden opportunity that Tennessee let slip away during last year's game was when ONO got in foul trouble and had to head to the bench. With their size, they should have abused whoever came in to replace her, but they let a 6'1 freshman guard forced to play center completely abuse them inside in scoring, rebounding and defense. That can't happen again.

Backup center is really the biggest UConn weakness that Tennessee can exploit. If they get ONO in foul trouble again, they need to capitalize on that. UConn's only other true post is a lowly rated freshman, so they can't disappear and let them have a career game at Tennessee's expense.

The golden opportunity that Tennessee let slip away during last year's game was when ONO got in foul trouble and had to head to the bench. With their size, they should have abused whoever came in to replace her, but they let a 6'1 freshman guard forced to play center completely abuse them inside in scoring, rebounding and defense. That can't happen again.

Backup center is really the biggest UConn weakness that Tennessee can exploit. If they get ONO in foul trouble again, they need to capitalize on that. UConn's only other true post is a lowly rated freshman, so they can't disappear and let them have a career game at Tennessee's expense.
good point. Tamari Key and Kasi did a phenomenal job on unique thompson she was a double double machine and are two centers contained her to only 6 points in the Auburn game. I am sure and hopeful they can do it again against ONO!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
wouldn't their primary point guard for next season be EW who like Jordan is also turnover prone

That's assuming that she hasn't learned anything about ball handling from her year in a new program with coaches that teach fundamentals like ball control. Last year UConn ranked 59th in turnovers/game. Tennessee ranked 255th.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back