247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

I’m not completely convinced that Gray will be the sole guy at RB. Jordan and Chandler will still get plenty of reps. Chandler can still be very effective catching the ball. Hopefully Graham can help him develop his all-around game. Jordan will still be the short yardage back and pass blocking guy. I like all 3 of those options though. Let’s goooooo!!!!!!!
Chandler will start the year out at RB1 I feel.

Pretty good overviews with projected starters listed below.

OFFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Offense
  • QB: Jarrett Guarantano
  • RB: Eric Gray
  • WR: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, Brandon Johnson
  • TE: Austin Pope
  • OL: LT Wanya Morris, LG Trey Smith, C Brandon Kennedy, RG Cade Mays, RT Darnell Wright
DEFENSE: Projecting Tennessee's way-too-early depth chart: Defense
  • DL: Aubrey Solomon, Emmit Gooden, Darel Middleton
  • OLB: Kivon Bennett, Deandre Johnson
  • ILB: Henry To'o To'o, Quavaris Crouch
  • CB: Bryce Thompson, Alontae Taylor, Shawn Shamburger (star/nickelback)
  • S: Jaylen McCollough, Trevon Flowers

Pretty good lineup. My main concern is the OLB's.

Unfortunately for you, Cade has one of the easiest cases to get a wavier to play this year. 4* Carvin is probably going to have PT limited by 5* Mays.
No such thing as an easy waiver with the NCAA. It would not surprise me if they didn't allow any transfer waivers this year.

No such thing as an easy waiver with the NCAA. It would not surprise me if they didn't allow any transfer waivers this year.
Cade Mays attorney, Thomas Mars, is highly confident he will get a waiver. He seems to have a pretty good track record and a understanding of NCAA rules because he was contacted by the NCAA to help them remake transfer rules.

Cade Mays attorney, Thomas Mars, is highly confident he will get a waiver. He seems to have a pretty good track record and a understanding of NCAA rules because he was contacted by the NCAA to help them remake transfer rules.
I understand and know all of that, problem is that this is not a normal year. Court system is going to be backed up because of this virus mess, NCAA eligibility center is for sure backed up. I just don't see much litigation being done by anybody the next 3 months and it's for those reasons that it would not surprise me one bit if the NCAA announced they would not be approving any transfers period, Mays included. The Eligibility center has over 100,000 student athletes they have to review each year and not nearly enough employees to handle that amount so it would not surprise me either way but I don't think it looks all that good right now unless his lawyer is already into litigation with them.

So
I understand and know all of that, problem is that this is not a normal year. Court system is going to be backed up because of this virus mess, NCAA eligibility center is for sure backed up. I just don't see much litigation being done by anybody the next 3 months and it's for those reasons that it would not surprise me one bit if the NCAA announced they would not be approving any transfers period, Mays included. The Eligibility center has over 100,000 student athletes they have to review each year and not nearly enough employees to handle that amount so it would not surprise me either way but I don't think it looks all that good right now unless his lawyer is already into litigation with them.
Sounds like a lot of assuming.

Reactions: JOHN ROCKER
Biggest question marks in my opinion are:

1) QB--doesnt matter what level (hs, college, NFL), its almost a requirement for really good teams to have at least a good QB... Talking about this position has been pretty much exhausted, so I'll leave it alone for now

2) TE--Pope will get the nod in two back sets as the blocking H back. I really think this spring was gonna be big for Warren. He's finally got the weight and he's had the hands and athleticism to be a matchup nightmare for OLBs and nickles. I'm gonna predict he ends up as the starter

3) ILB/OLB--Honestly Henry T. is the only lock at ILB. Obviously Crouch is a lock at another LB spot. I hear everyone say Crouch is already penciled in at the other ILB. I've heard CJP at least on several occasions insinuate he likes Crouch better at OLB..I know he has the ability to play inside and be good as he has had to bc of necessity, but I would really like to see him as a edge setter and pass rusher. Peterson, Beasley, Page, or one of the freshmen need to get better in a hurry. I was optimistic for a long time that Banks would be returning to the other ILB spot.

4) FS-- I see Flowers as the starter here early, but Lawrence ending up here eventually. Almost like McCollough was eased into his role as the starter at SS last season. I think Lawrence is gonna be the real deal eventually...

5) WR--im not as worried about this position as most people. I think that while we dont have the 2 enormous playmakers anymore, we'll have 4-5 solid choices here. Plus, I anticipate our running game being much improved. This will definitely help our passing game next season.

Last edited:
I like JG but unless he goes out there and plays like a superstar this season, you start bailey. Its the perfect set of circumstances to just start the younger talent. Your offensive line is stacked. You know what you have in JG. Take advantage of that offensive line and break in the 5 star freshman quarterback like other big teams do.

Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.
Really? You’ll begin to lose trust in Pruitt? I get you’re excited about HB.. I am too but Trevor Lawrence had the ACC POTY at RB and three first rounders on the D Line in a defense that held Bama to 16 points, Fields had a 2000 yard rusher and a similar defense with 3 first rounders, and Fromm had similar personnel around him. I know Bailey is gonna be a star for us but with the lack of spring training and Guarantano being familiar with the offense, I won’t blame anyone (especially a top 5 defensive mind of the modern college game) for playing a veteran QB in aN offense that doesn’t need a playmaker QB day one. That being said, I bet a change is made halfway through the season. But if you’re angry at Guarantano starting week one, I doubt you understand football all that well

Really? You’ll begin to lose trust in Pruitt? I get you’re excited about HB.. I am too but Trevor Lawrence had the ACC POTY at RB and three first rounders on the D Line in a defense that held Bama to 16 points, Fields had a 2000 yard rusher and a similar defense with 3 first rounders, and Fromm had similar personnel around him. I know Bailey is gonna be a star for us but with the lack of spring training and Guarantano being familiar with the offense, I won’t blame anyone (especially a top 5 defensive mind of the modern college game) for playing a veteran QB in aN offense that doesn’t need a playmaker QB day one. That being said, I bet a change is made halfway through the season. But if you’re angry at Guarantano starting week one, I doubt you understand football all that well

If JG struggles, you 100 percent throw bailey out there. In the position we are in if youre going to struggle because of QB on offense, you just start Bailey and take your struggle with him. He is a 5 star QB and thats a proper rank for him. You start Bailey and you've got a good chance he improves as the season goes along. IF JG is sucking it up then youre not losing anything by getting Bailey experience and letting him run the offense. He will do as good as JG, if not better and only improve. We have the pieces on this team to have a solid year and break in a 5 star QB. Plus, there is also a chance the kid is like alot of other 5 stars and goes in as a freshman and lights it up. He has the cast to make a solid run in the SEC this year.

There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. He outplayed the other qb’s last season whether you want to admit it or not. He will start again unless one of the other guys step up.
It’s not impressive that he outplayed 2 other 3 star freshman. As a redshirt junior.
Fixed it for you. Seriously, if we trot Jg out there I’ll begin to lose trust in pruitt. Bailey played at the highest level of high school football there is and was amazing. The only other former QBs in ga football history that have similar number are desean Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin fields, and jake Fromm. All of them proved immediately they were legit. Plus, we’ll have the best line (and likely running game) we’ve had in years. So what greater opportunity to easy a freshman in than this year. You only get a super star talent in college for 3 years so why not start him right away. We’ve already seen what jg ceiling is and it’s low. Really low.
If he thinks that JG gives us best chance to win then what’s your problem with it? If Bailey comes in and shows he is the better quarterback he’ll most likely start. You have no way of knowing who’s better this moment.

I’m not completely convinced that Gray will be the sole guy at RB. Jordan and Chandler will still get plenty of reps. Chandler can still be very effective catching the ball. Hopefully Graham can help him develop his all-around game. Jordan will still be the short yardage back and pass blocking guy. I like all 3 of those options though. Let’s goooooo!!!!!!!

CJP likes to rotate RBs, usually about 3 with the best one getting about 50% of snaps.

Last edited:
There is no reason to bash JG all offseason. He outplayed the other qb’s last season whether you want to admit it or not. He will start again unless one of the other guys step up.

I agree but he has a permanent short leash. Can't be afraid to pull him if he's way off.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Another thing we got this offseason, despite no spring practice....is FASTER. Hyatt at WR will be faster than any WR we had last year from Day 1. Also, Jimmy Holiday will not stay off the field forever with his 4.38 time in the 40...wish we could use him as a slot receiver from Day 1 also . We apparently promised him a shot at QB and that was why he chose us over our SEC rivals. I would like to see him returning punts or kicks. We should be faster at LB and depth for the DBs.

Good point by someone about Whitehead. I didnt realize that he was a 230lb back like Hodge and can carry the load at the goal line. After rewatching his tape, he will get carries this season as a legit 4* back. We should have 4 or 5 good backs between Gray, Chandler, Whitehead, Hodge, Fils A...

I absolutely HATE that we didnt have a spring practice this year. I understand that nobody else did either, but we have some serious playmakers that will be stepping up all over our offense....that lost month of practice would have helped us more than most other teams and could make us have a different starting QB opening day after roughly 20 practices than we would have otherwise had after 20 spring practices to acclimate and 20ish fall practices to separate himself from the others. Same story at WR since we have 4 good freshmen WR that will need to learn the playbook and get their timing adjusted to the college level.

Even though we will likely take our lumps this season as we mature on the field, we should still win twice as many as we lose (8-4) and I havent been this excited about a season in many moons gentlemen. I believe we finally have a staff that can lead us back to championships. GO VOLS

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back