NCAA coronavirus advisory panel details how fan-free college football games are likely

Don’t expect the mouth breathers to listen, they think they have already came in contact with it and it didn’t do anything to them. The fact of the matter is they haven’t and have no clue how they would respond. Ironically, a large portion of the US population has underlying health conditions like obesity and diabetes

It is amazing that some folks think debate around issues makes the other side evil or stupid.

There should always be strong debate about things that will impact the futures of millions and millions of people. Debating measures to protect 100s of thousands of lives should also be debated but neither more strongly than the other.

However, our economy spiralling out of control will in the long run likely kill more folks than the typical model shows this virus killing. So both sides should be looked at and decisions made that mitigates the risks on both sides as much as possible. Not a fun option for decision makers but a required option nonetheless. What shouldnt be done is choosing to be short-sighted and worry only about deaths from the virus nor should the long view be your only perspective for decision making.

Guess i think calling the other side pussies or mouth breathers isnt very useful, even when we aren't the decision makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcvols1
Oh look, more "experts" who seem to have entirely missed precisely who are at-risk from covid-19 (hint: it is not 18-22 year olds...lol) and, instead, want to control everyone and everything versus using common sense and decades-long viral containment protocols. Bottom line...if you are at-risk (i.e., over 60 yrs old and/or have comorbidities) then stay home while the rest of us live life.
Most of those people stay home, the virus started though the nursing homes when the government mandated that COvid positive patients must be admitted to the nursing homes.
It'd be interesting to know hte number of nursing homes in a state with no Covid deaths compated to the number that have a death and how many at each of those sites.
We'd probably find out that the mandates needed to be sanitation regulations for nursing homes or restrictions on the number of patients within the same facility.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
People will gather. At this point in May probably half or more than half of the country has had enough and no longer fear the virus in their daily lives.
I certainly see this as something that may rule the day come September. It's already happening.

As far as UT athletic department - of course they are concerned about liability.
Why not cover themselves with the season ticket holders. Sign a statement to the effect: "By signing this statement, I acknowledge there is a Covid 19 virus and if I attend a game I may be exposed to it. I also acknowledge if I contract the virus, I will not hold the U of T liable for that, and I will enter the stadium at my own risk".

I'm no lawyer and I'm sure the verbiage could be tightened, but you see the spirit of it. I would sign that in a heartbeat and go watch the VOLS.

As much as it will suck I refuse to watch any sport without fans. This entire ordeal is a farce. I wont add a dime to TV revenue or numbers so that the lobbiests can convince the govt to open for high dollar "businesses" while the masses sit at home with no work.

I certainly see this as something that may rule the day come September. It's already happening.

As far as UT athletic department - of course they are concerned about liability.
Why not cover themselves with the season ticket holders. Sign a statement to the effect: "By signing this statement, I acknowledge there is a Covid 19 virus and if I attend a game I may be exposed to it. I also acknowledge if I contract the virus, I will not hold the U of T liable for that, and I will enter the stadium at my own risk".

I'm no lawyer and I'm sure the verbiage could be tightened, but you see the spirit of it. I would sign that in a heartbeat and go watch the VOLS.

I think that's part of it. But let's say wtmvol signs all that, goes to the game and has a great time. Then goes to church the next day and in a fog, hugs all the older ladies and then infects 6 of them. Similar stories abound in east Tennessee and the common link is their UT gameday experience. It's not just wtmvol that the university (or the SEC or NCAA or whatever) is concerned about from a liability standpoint. Now, is any of that likely? I have no idea. Just saying it's not necessarily as simple as just covering themselves from the ones actually attending the game.

I'm as ready as anyone for this junk to be over, and there is a point where you just have to open things up. I think everyone agrees on that - it's just no one knows the right time to do it, but everyone seems to have a very strong opinion on it anyway. If what DeerPark said the other day is true that if they allow fans, it will have to be with masks, then we can all just get ready to not have fans at all because that isn't going to happen.

You're obviously correct. That being said, there still has to be protocol when there is an exposure. Ignoring it probably isn't the best answer for parents of student athletes. Just my personal opinion, of course, but think this is why Fulmer voted against June 1 report date. Whatever the protocols are, they probably need to be established before everyone rushes onto campus.
My personal preference would be July 1. Let new comers come on in for orientation earlier, and see how that works. But July 1 should be early enough for players.

Here's truth.

Compared to the loss of massive TV revenues v.s local business revenue loss, local businesses aren't even in the equation as far as the UT Admin and Athletic departments are concerned.

I think at some point they will care and give it consideration. Because so goes UT, so goes Knoxville AND vis e versa. Whether you believe it or not, Knoxville and surrounding are important to the university.

I think that's part of it. But let's say wtmvol signs all that, goes to the game and has a great time. Then goes to church the next day and in a fog, hugs all the older ladies and then infects 6 of them. Similar stories abound in east Tennessee and the common link is their UT gameday experience. It's not just wtmvol that the university (or the SEC or NCAA or whatever) is concerned about from a liability standpoint. Now, is any of that likely? I have no idea. Just saying it's not necessarily as simple as just covering themselves from the ones actually attending the game.

I'm as ready as anyone for this junk to be over, and there is a point where you just have to open things up. I think everyone agrees on that - it's just no one knows the right time to do it, but everyone seems to have a very strong opinion on it anyway. If what DeerPark said the other day is true that if they allow fans, it will have to be with masks, then we can all just get ready to not have fans at all because that isn't going to happen.
I guess he needs to decide which is more important, Football or Church

Reactions: ptcarter

Same can be said if someone goes to the gas station, pumps gas, touches their mouth after touching infected gas pump, goes to church and infects said old women.

Why couldn't somebody sue walmart or any other venue that has been wide open in letting people in all this time. Surely they aren't immune that type of thing while stadiums or sport can be sued
. We should be free will in that it's our own decision but you shouldn't have the ability to sue if you become infected you put yourself there. That should be a no brainer, you take the chance you have to live with the consequences. God Bless and GBO!

Same can be said if someone goes to the gas station, pumps gas, touches their mouth after touching infected gas pump, goes to church and infects said old women.
Exactly, to determine when and where would be virtually impossible to prove. GBO!!!!

Yep - but gas stations have the backing of the government to be open as an "essential business". What grounds would anyone have to go after them from a legal perspective if they indirectly got the virus from one of their pumps unless it was shown they weren't maintaining them to a certain standard? If UT has a similar backing, then they would be covered as well.

Why couldn't somebody sue walmart or any other venue that has been wide open in letting people in all this time. Surely they aren't immune that type of thing while stadiums or sport can be sued
. We should be free will in that it's our own decision but you shouldn't have the ability to sue if you become infected you put yourself there. That should be a no brainer, you take the chance you have to live with the consequences. God Bless and GBO!

This. The idea that you have a claim against an entity for which you voluntarily visited, in regards to catching a virus, is absurd to me.

Yep - but gas stations have the backing of the government to be open as an "essential business". What grounds would anyone have to go after them from a legal perspective if they indirectly got the virus from one of their pumps unless it was shown they weren't maintaining them to a certain standard? If UT has a similar backing, then they would be covered as well.
When my local YMCA opened we all had to sign a waiver releasing them from responsibility if we caught Covid-19. Same can be done for sporting events or really anything nonessential

When my local YMCA opened we all had to sign a waiver releasing them from responsibility if we caught Covid-19. Same can be done for sporting events or really anything nonessential
Yes - I'm sure sporting events will put similar verbiage on the ticket saying they're not responsible if you get COVID there. But, in your example, depending on what state you're in, gyms have been authorized by the state government to reopen. So the Y is authorized to reopen and they're taking a secondary step to avoid liability. Entertainment and sport venues aren't in the same phase in most states I don't believe. I guess your point is that they should be. I'm just saying they're not yet covered from a liability standpoint the same way that essential businesses and gyms are.

I think that's part of it. But let's say wtmvol signs all that, goes to the game and has a great time. Then goes to church the next day and in a fog, hugs all the older ladies and then infects 6 of them.
Consider this: You can't pinpoint the exact instant the virus entered your system. The old ladies at the church could just as well given it to the Vol fan, and everyone blames it on Neyland Stadium. Pretty easy scapegoat there.

This whole thing is ripe for potential litigation, which sucks. Here's a scenario- Lets say 2 years ago, you were at your office. There's "that guy", you know, the one that never takes sick leave - comes to work sneezing and emptying his nose every 5 minutes loudly. A couple of days later, you get the chills, a fever and it dawns on you that your workmate gave you a (cold, flu, fill in the blank). What do you do? Either go to a doctor or ride it out with OTC meds. Eventually you get better and go back to work.

Now. Same thing happens with Coronovirus. Results are the same too (in this scenario, meaning you don't end up in the hospital and don't die) in that you recover and go back to work. Can you file a lawsuit against your employer for not having everyone in the office wearing masks to protect you from getting sick? This virus has a stigma associated with it that is going to be hard to shake.

Yes - I'm sure sporting events will put similar verbiage on the ticket saying they're not responsible if you get COVID there. But, in your example, depending on what state you're in, gyms have been authorized by the state government to reopen. So the Y is authorized to reopen and they're taking a secondary step to avoid liability. Entertainment and sport venues aren't in the same phase in most states I don't believe. I guess your point is that they should be. I'm just saying they're not yet covered from a liability standpoint the same way that essential businesses and gyms are.
I can see where you're coming from. I'm of the opinion there will be a 2020 football season, just not sure how the fan aspect will play out

The virus and how safely the Nation opens up. What is happening now seems to indicate that the virus will continue to infect people what relax their activities during the next 2-3 months, or at least until reported cases are reduced before early Fall. I renewed my season tickets, but I am not optimistic that I will be able to use them this season unless an effective vaccine is available in large numbers within the next 3-4 months. I think the odds of that happening are slim to none. We will have to wait and see. I hope I am wrong but I will not bet on it.

Mandatory Rushed Untested Vaccine with ID Tracking? HALF the Population will NOT accept that. This new Vaccine is called RNA; meaning no testing done on animals as has been the norm forever with Vaccines, This vaccine actually alters your DNA . Be careful what you wish for. What could happen within a year? Massive Deaths from Science gone wrong. Study up. It's been tried before and failed.

Consider this: You can't pinpoint the exact instant the virus entered your system. The old ladies at the church could just as well given it to the Vol fan, and everyone blames it on Neyland Stadium. Pretty easy scapegoat there.

This whole thing is ripe for potential litigation, which sucks. Here's a scenario- Lets say 2 years ago, you were at your office. There's "that guy", you know, the one that never takes sick leave - comes to work sneezing and emptying his nose every 5 minutes loudly. A couple of days later, you get the chills, a fever and it dawns on you that your workmate gave you a (cold, flu, fill in the blank). What do you do? Either go to a doctor or ride it out with OTC meds. Eventually you get better and go back to work.

Now. Same thing happens with Coronovirus. Results are the same too (in this scenario, meaning you don't end up in the hospital and don't die) in that you recover and go back to work. Can you file a lawsuit against your employer for not having everyone in the office wearing masks to protect you from getting sick? This virus has a stigma associated with it that is going to be hard to shake.

I hear ya. I think that's why my employer has already said regardless of what my state's governor says about reopening, we will be working from home until at least mid September. They know some jackwagon will sue them for 7 figures because they weren't provided a mask and got too close to a projectile cougher.

The family was in New Jersey had the preexisting condition of obesity and very likely some had Type2 diabetes.

And anecdotal evidence of 35 year old athletes does not make this disease more dangerous than other diseases we deal with regularly for those under 60 and healthy.

I dont think anyone thinks the Covid19 virus is a hoax. The lockdowns were the right thing to do when evidence and data was still being gathered.

The numbers are now in; its time to start responding appropriately. Those with preexisting conditions and those over age of 70 should quaratine themselves as much as possible and use mitigating measures when around others. Everyone else needs to get back to work and life.

Continuing to lockdown everyone is only prolonging the time that we can reach herd immunity.

BUT, The Numbers are Grossly Inflated! And today, The CDC backed off the "Surface Contamination Risk" Overblown, just like the entire ordeal.

The top goal whether college or NFL is to play football, with or without fans. SEC is right to go ahead with plans on playing full slate with fans, with the knowledge that as things get closer, there'll have to be some decisions/modifications, depending on what the virus is doing at that point in time. If it has ramped down things will get looser than if it's not slowed, or in the fall picking back up again. I just think there's a real possibility of conference only games with no fans. I wouldn't like it, but given the choice of no football or football in empty/partial seating, I'll take that all day long. I get all the free will banter, and largely agree, but think the decisions need to be based upon what can you do within "free will", without compromising the real potential of mass infections at sporting events.

If what DeerPark said the other day is true that if they allow fans, it will have to be with masks, then we can all just get ready to not have fans at all because that isn't going to happen.

If the requirement to attend games is to wear a facemask for 3 hours then they better have a truckload of cops to haul people away. We got idiots in this country who won't wear a mask for 15 minutes in a grocery store.

If what DeerPark said the other day is true that if they allow fans, it will have to be with masks, then we can all just get ready to not have fans at all because that isn't going to happen.

If the requirement to attend games is to wear a facemask for 3 hours then they better have a truckload of cops to haul people away. We got idiots in this country who won't wear a mask for 15 minutes in a grocery store.
Maybe because there isn't any evidence that a cloth mask does anything to keep you from contracting a virus. It may offer some protection to keep an infected person from spreading a virus but that is in question. And the CDC guidelines call for masks if you cannot stay 6' away from others, not at all times. So if your idiots at grocery are more than 6' away, they're following CDC guidelines, Karen.

I hear ya. I think that's why my employer has already said regardless of what my state's governor says about reopening, we will be working from home until at least mid September. They know some jackwagon will sue them for 7 figures because they weren't provided a mask and got too close to a projectile cougher.
To top it all off, because the federal stimulus checks for unemployment goes thru July 31, employees can stay at home and make more than if they come to work (gov't check + unemployment wages). I work for a large SE manufacturer and actual covid cases are very few, but absenteeism is rampant. Early on, while school was in session, it was probably a good thing, so parents can help with schooling. The checks are direly needed by alot of people, but the unintended consequences is basically allowing perfectly healthy people to get paid not to go to work, and is really throwing a monkey wrench into companies being modestly operational.

I think when large portions of folks get back to work, and figure how they need to modify to the new norm...being safe, while still working...will do alot for figuring out what's possible or not possible for things like college football, one way or the other. To me, it's all hypothetical until then.

Reactions: JacketVol

VN Store

Back