What does everyone think about our WR unit?

I thought both had great potential but they never had the surrounding cast for us to really see. I guess we will find out soon by their NFL careers.
I doubt either one makes an NFL roster, practice squads maybe. Neither player is physical enough to play in the NFL.

We should have a line that can block for run and hold SEC defenses off QB an extra second or two so, should give WRs a lot better advantage vs last 3-4 years. I’m hopeful. A solid TE will also help or WRs.

The group is really going to expose JG, he had a ton of talent that made up for his shortcomings last year
Because a stable full of big slow WRs is considered talented? This past group is one of the worst we've ever had at WR over time even with JJ having a decent year.

Wideman will be the best athlete of the group the day he steps on campus. He may even be the best athlete on the entire team. I understand that doesn't equal being a great football player but it certainly is a good place to start. Hes gonna have a chance to be a great player for us. Just need to find a QB to get him the ball.
He also has very little size or strength currently which is needed over athleticism when playing in the SEC.

Once again, I don't dislike BM, he's simply here at UT at the wrong time. Brandon Stewart and Colquitt are 2 UT QBs that I thought were here at the wrong time. He's got talent but Tennessee was the wrong program to come to where he could take a couple of years to develop. He would have been much better off at a program where he could play and take his lumps a couple of years and develop. You may not agree but Bailey signing ended UT investing too much into BM. Pruitt will never be able to sign another blue chip kid at QB if Bailey doesn't get his shot by next year.
Yup. Bringing in Bailey pretty much ended maurers chance to start.

For the last 5 years Tennessee has played "Jump Ball" Receivers. How many times did you see a receiver catch the ball in stride versus out jumping the defender. We had the horses to do that whether it was what Cheney wanted or not.
If that's the plan for this year, then Weideman will have a breakout year. If the offense looks more like Cheney's first trip to UT we'll have a stable.
I also won't be surprised if one or two of the QB in the room move to receiver with the plan for them to run the Jennings packages.

Lots of new faces but lots of new weapons as well. Palmer reminds me a bit of Donte Stallworth in that he always seems to be able to get open and has great hands, I think he's a solid go to guy and capable of an All-SEC type season. As for the rest, it's a bunch of unknowns really save Johnson. I think by season's end our main 4 WRs will be Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith and Johnson with Gibbs getting most of the backups receptions. Wideman and Hyatt will play but I believe both may end up just playing 4 games and redshirting as they both need to add size and strength even though both are exceptional athletes.

Good to have options like you think. I can remember over the last few years this has not been the case. Granted we have had a fairly "stable" group, but not like we like to see on the field. I believe you think we are in for some excitement from this group. So do I.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So we had an Elite QB with subpar WR play?
No, we had good decent group of college receivers. As a group there was not enough diverse talent for them to be special. Because of both WR and QB our passing game was very average last year. This new group of WRs has a little bit of everything.

Reactions: k-town_king
No, all we need is the guy that played A-burn, Ky and at time other teams. He has shown a FEW sparks of what we expected all the time. Hope this is the year. If not, bring another one on.
Blind squirrels find a nut every once in awhile. You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head in a bull's ass, but you should take the butcher's word for it.

Reactions: savannahfan
Good to have options like you think. I can remember over the last few years this has not been the case. Granted we have had a fairly "stable" group, but not like we like to see on the field. I believe you think we are in for some excitement from this group. So do I.
Best group we've had coming in for quite some time I feel. This group is loaded I think. Wideman reminds me a bit of Pickens, you have to be excited about Hyatt's speed and Beckwiths blend of size and speed. The only question I have is whether or not the receiving core can hold up to the physical play early vs Ok and Fl.

Reactions: savannahfan
Disagree there. Give me the guy that's dynamic with the ball in his hands.
I want the ball in the hands of a guy like that as well and we've got several in this group. I just feel like he is going to have to bulk up a bit to be effective. I think at times fans don't realize how big and strong you have to be to be successful in the SEC.

Blind squirrels find a nut every once in awhile. You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head in a bull's ass, but you should take the butcher's word for it.
The problem with that is we've got a bunch of couch coaches that think they are butchers.

What will the depth chart look like at WR/TE?
Gonna be all over the place early I think. We'll know by week 4 who our core is going to be. Johnson or Gibbs are going to need to step up and produce a bit if this group is going to be good this year. I think Palmer and Keyton will be our main 2, at least early on. If any of the Fr have 500+ yards this year then this group will have a really good year. No clue what the TEs are going to look like or produce.

I actually like his confidence. Anyone can endure what he has is no snowflake.

Being starved for some football and having a soft spot for that 2007 team, I have watched a few games lately. The difference in how quickly Ainge assessed a situation and made a good decision compared with JG is stark. He constantly led receivers to a spot and placed the ball where YAC's were possible. It cannot be argued that Ainge had better receiver talent than JG has had. He got the ball out so quickly that any OL problems they had were masked.

Having watched JG... I have just become convinced that he does not have whatever talents are involved in anticipating throws... reading D's and throwing to the right spot at the right time.

Ainge also did a super job of managing the O. If you could take whatever it was that Ainge had and put it in JG's head with his physical talent... you'd have the best QB in the SEC.
good point about the OL...didn't we set a record (at the time anyway) for fewest sacks allowed? i remmeber it being a thing because every time it was brought up, right behind it came some comment about how quickly Ainge was able to get rid of it.

he got a lot of credit for the sack #'s....rightfully so.

agree w/you on this post.....

In retrospect, you can claim that Pruitt should have invested time in Maurer or Shrout instead of JG. That may have produced better results. But I argue that Pruitt made a reasonable decision with the information he had at the time he had to make the decision.

I do like the future and the way they're recruiting the QB position. Looks a lot like what Bama did as they rose to the top and stayed there. Guys will transfer when they lose out. But the competition will assure that whoever remains... can play at a championship level.

I like Maurer. You don't. I think we both like Shrout. If either wants to be a starter then I think this year is their window. They have to beat JG out (and be good enough to do it) or I don't think they can avoid being passed by the younger talent.
agreed. and one thing that's never really been questioned about JG was him in practice. by all accounts he's been excellent in practice.

which is one of the things i was really looking forward to about spring.....my take was simple...if any of the other guys, HB included, could beat JG out in spring, or at minimum come out of spring even, then that would have to mean someting rather significant....

that we didn't get that, i think hurts everyone all the way around.....anxious to see how it all shakes out once they can get back on the field.

anyway, the expectation was that JG would get pushed w/the additon of Bailey, and shrout and maurer also entering year 2 of chaney, and from a practice/preparation standpoint, the other guys would get a good glimpse of what they need to do to get where they want to be....based on what the coaches already think of JG from a practice and preparation standpoint.

good point about the OL...didn't we set a record (at the time anyway) for fewest sacks allowed? i remmeber it being a thing because every time it was brought up, right behind it came some comment about how quickly Ainge was able to get rid of it.
I believe you are correct. One of the first things Cut did with Ainge when he came back was work on pre-snap reads and getting rid of the ball. There was a massive improvement.

he got a lot of credit for the sack #'s....rightfully so.

agree w/you on this post.....
IIRC, the OL came in with pretty low expectations.

VN Store

Back