NCAA coronavirus advisory panel details how fan-free college football games are likely

Three. All of whom contracted the disease around the time of the shutdown. One is a scout for the Detroit Pistons who lives in Knoxville, I think his story has been pretty widely shared. He was on his deathbed in the ICU, but eventually recovered.

A college buddy and his brother were two of the people that are believed to have been sickened after attending an Indiana state high school basketball playoff game the week of the shutdown. That game was the common link for a high percentage of the initial wave of cases in the state. Five people that attended that game died from the virus. My buddy and his brother both ended up in the hospital, but neither had to be intubated. The doctors believe he will have reduced lung capacity going forward, as his lungs show obvious signs of damage.

I realize it's been very bad for some, and my hunches could be way off. In the case mentioned above, I'm assuming this was before masks were as common as they are now?

I see 3 things that could eventually open up Neyland for a full crowd. 1) Hopefully by then, this will have tapered off. Will we ever get to zero cases? No. So what is reasonable? 2) Neyland is unlike the basketball arena mentioned above. In a gym, in the Winter, the heating system is recirculating the air (much like an airplane). With open air and sunlight, the virus may not (emphasis on the word may) survive long enough to be transferred. 3) I would hope the crowd still adheres to safe practices, i.e. wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer, and would hope the Athletic Department provides 55 gallon drums of that in the concourse.

I realize it's been very bad for some, and my hunches could be way off. In the case mentioned above, I'm assuming this was before masks were as common as they are now?

I see 3 things that could eventually open up Neyland for a full crowd. 1) Hopefully by then, this will have tapered off. Will we ever get to zero cases? No. So what is reasonable? 2) Neyland is unlike the basketball arena mentioned above. In a gym, in the Winter, the heating system is recirculating the air (much like an airplane). With open air and sunlight, the virus may not (emphasis on the word may) survive long enough to be transferred. 3) I would hope the crowd still adheres to safe practices, i.e. wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer, and would hope the Athletic Department provides 55 gallon drums of that in the concourse.

If there are fans this year, facemasks will be mandatory and I wonder how fans are going to handle that considering there have been violent confrontations at grocery stores and Costcos over face mask mandates.

If there are fans this year, facemasks will be mandatory and I wonder how fans are going to handle that considering there have been violent confrontations at grocery stores and Costcos over face mask mandates.
You and I both know that won't work. For one, like you said, some people will turn hostile when told to cover their face up. There will be ugly scenes all over the place, especially the south. And 2, wearing a mask in the brutal August heat ain't gonna fly for anyone. My hunch is that they're going to allow parents of players and media in, and that's about it for this season.

Reactions: 08Vol
Is this panel going to pay any attention to real world events and infection rates, or have they already made up their minds and are just trying to slow roll sticking it to us in the fall?

Reactions: Wireless1

I'm pretty staunchly opposed to the idea of Tennessee selling Vols face masks but, trivial as it may seem, I wonder if giving away X quantity of UT-themed masks at the gates would make the concept more palatable for some.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
WSJ article.

This is worth reading. The embedded video is worth watching as well
Our fan checkerboard game will be tough this year...
B3-GS268_TEXASA_300PX_20200517103218.jpg

Reactions: Delmar
I'm pretty staunchly opposed to the idea of Tennessee selling Vols face masks but, trivial as it may seem, I wonder if giving away X quantity of UT-themed masks at the gates would make the concept more palatable for some.
So that means a ban on all concessions and shutting water fountains off because to eat or drink, you'll likely have to remove your mask.

Or I guess for the early season games just insert a UT themed IV also so as everyone dehydrates they can go to the concession/beer stands and get hooked up for a couple of minutes to rehydrate

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Strange. I'm seeing 80% of US covid deaths are 65 and older. We arent at 100,000 deaths yet and you claim 25,000 (more than 25%) are 55 and younger.

I think you are making up BS.

Strange isn’t it but you are welcome to go to the CDC and read it yourself[/QUOTE]

Do you actually trust the CDC when it comes to actual numbers of deaths? Especially knowing how they are coding the deaths now?

Ask nascar. Live sports TV programming during covid advertising revenues > 100,000 fans buying turkey legs, funnel cakes, beer and Jimmy Johnson Tshirts. Even though we've got to endure all the drug advertisements... "we've got a pill to get rid of low blood sugar, but it could give you high blood pressure, low blood pressure, crossed eyes, cancer, IBS, heart attack, stroke, baldness, weight gain, ED, skin rashes, depression and kidney failure."
But the baldness and weight gain offset the ED.

If they allow full capacity, they can only enforce wearing them in, not keeping them on. There aren't enough ushers in the state to enforce that all the time.

First, being a scholar form John Hopkins doesn't give me cause to believe this guy has any interest in there actually have fans attend a game.
Second, as a long time season ticket holder , I'd rather be sandwiched between Alan and Celeste (the fans on either side of my wife and I) than setting at a high-top at Buffalo Wild Wings. Does the NCCA really believe that fans won't be getting together anyway? We watched a game in NYC one year at a "Tennessee" bar.
I make decisions every day that are risks - health, financial, relational - and if I think it's OK to risk going to the stadium then I will, and if that means mitigating that risk with wearing a mask and taking in my own hand sanitizer in a flask, I'll try to do that too.
Those boys that risk injury every week want to play before 102,454 screaming fans or they could have picked Vanderbilt.
Before we ever get a chance to visit Neyland there will as many people crammed into Dollywood, being together much longer, from more diverse places doing much nastier things

How do you pass TV revenue on to the local business who really count on ball seasons to make their bottom line black? With no fans these seasons will be an overall flop.

Here's truth.

Compared to the loss of massive TV revenues v.s local business revenue loss, local businesses aren't even in the equation as far as the UT Admin and Athletic departments are concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol
They have already announced their protocol. Donors and those that have bought tickets without a donation will have three options:
- Allow the Tennessee Fund to keep all or part of the money paid as a tax-deductible donation. (Deductible now because no tickets are attached to it)
- Apply the money to the 2021 donation and tickets
- Receive a full refund.

What hasn't been answered is how a refund would affect donor rank. My gut tells me that people that allow some or all their payment to be kept as a donation will move up in rank.

I took all of this into consideration and chose Option Z. I sold my position as a season ticket holder = once I get the season tickets, the Optionee is legally required to consent to the release the escrow of funds to me when I give the tickets to him. The contract is good through the end of July, no cancellation until then.

Despite what they're saying in public, the expectation inside the industry at this point is that college and professional football will be played without fans this year. I think it's a pretty big leap to hope to go from MLB games in August with no fans to football games with tens of thousands of fans in September.

That said, professional leagues are going to be under tremendous pressure from the political realm to play as normal and have fans in attendance. I don't know how that will pare out, but there's going to be pressure on both sides.

The hope certainly is that the virus calms down to the point that changes. But one of the big reason its decreasing is that we don't have groups of thousands of people squeezing into tight spaces like stadiums and arenas.

That sums it nicely.

I’m sure the hundreds of thousands of UT fans not allowed at the stadium will just be alone at home watching games and definitely will not be in gigantic crowds at bars, on boats, restaurants, tailgate parties, etc hugging and high-fiving while blasting rocky top. Not having fans in Neyland will change absolutely nothing except for the venue of the party

It’s not “free will” when you give it to someone else and of course the average age of someone dying from it is going to be high that is how viruses and diseases work but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t killing people who are much younger. Over 25k Americans under age 55 have died from it and most of them were men. I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their job or has lost someone to it not someone complaining about having to watch a football game on tv
[/QUOTE]
How would you give it to someone if they choose not to go out?

VN Store

Back