Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newt and his wife stayed at a hotel where my wife and were staying in Savannah. It was a republican convention, that we were unaware of when we decided to celebrate our anniversary there. I'm walking down the hall with my ripped jeans and a Jimi Hendrix T-Shift and there's a big mirror at the end of the hall and I notice these 3 guys in dark suits just staring at me the whole time and I assume they just didn't like my kind. Later, we rode a glass elevator down to the waterfront alone with Newt and his wife, which shocked us that he wouldn't have security with him. But then I noticed the same guys waiting for him when he got out of the elevator so figured they were security.
1589766926009.gif
CIA probably

For the wrestling fans, I met Sgt. Slaughter when I was a kid. He did a show on the navy base we lived on and me and my dad went. Did a meet and greet afterwards.
My wife and I were walking into a restaurant in Charlotte when Ric Flair pulls up in a Lamborghini, hands the keys to the valet, but forgets to put it in park and it lunges forward and hits the car in front of him as he's stumbling toward the sidewalk. Also saw him when we had our daughter in the emergency room. He was there after his wife beat him up :D

Met several TN players when I went to UT. Bray, Darick Rogers, Corderrelle Patterson, and others. CP was the coolest of them all. Not really famous but Yal would recognize the name, I have some wild stories hanging with Skyler McBee in PCB spring break. Had a short lived fling with Hank Jr’s daughter when I was a kid. Met Toby Keith and Blake Griffins brother when they had the final 4 in Memphis. Met one of the American Picker guys (the brother) a few weeks ago at a bar in Chatt. He was hammered drunk but was a solid dude.

Newt and his wife stayed at a hotel where my wife and were staying in Savannah. It was a republican convention, that we were unaware of when we decided to celebrate our anniversary there. I'm walking down the hall with my ripped jeans and a Jimi Hendrix T-Shift and there's a big mirror at the end of the hall and I notice these 3 guys in dark suits just staring at me the whole time and I assume they just didn't like my kind. Later, we rode a glass elevator down to the waterfront alone with Newt and his wife, which shocked us that he wouldn't have security with him. But then I noticed the same guys waiting for him when he got out of the elevator so figured they were security.

Just to be clear here, I'm referring to Gingrich. I realize @bignewt is all uppity but am not aware of him having his own secret service staff. Also, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable being trapped on an elevator with him.

Not my personal interaction but still a good story..

My younger sister was in a small circle of friends with Kenny Chesney when she was at ETSU. She said he used to beg them to come listen to him play in clubs around town. Later she would tell me how successful her friend was becoming and I still didn't know who he was at the time. .. cause I never listened to country music.

Last edited:
I hear @BaldBiker babysat George Washington.

Baldy tried to cover for him with the cherry tree incident but George couldn't let such an old man take the blame and decided to come clean. As a favor, @BaldBiker made him a set of wooden dentures from the same wood as that cherry tree....historical fact.

I was in Bass Pro Shop in Memphis when Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel were there. Supposedly, he had called ahead and they brought them in through a back door. He was looking at the guns. I’m not sure if he even bought any, but they whisked them out the back door when they left. Needless to say there were no conversations except them and the staff. Sort of a bummer.

Random meetings - Dennis Quaid at LAX, Dolly at Morton's in Nashville, Reggie White in Maryville, Larry Lacewell at a golf event in Arkansas when he was HC of A-State, and for oldsters like me - Jerry Lucas (NBA All Star) at a Montgomery Wards department store while shopping for clothes with my mom.

The best one was meeting many of the 1980 KC Royals baseball team during a practice round the day before a pro-am at a Ft. Myers, FL mini-tour event when they had off days during spring training. I was on vacation and with a family member. Just lucked up and the pro shop paired us with Jim Frey (their new manager) and Larry Gura (pitcher). We had a great time and they invited us to walk with them and meet some teammates during the pro-am the next day. Met George Brett, Clint Hurdle, Paul Splittorff, Jamie Quirk, etc. Also met several great old pro golfers such as Mason Rudolph and Julius Boros.

On the USS Constellation Rob Lowe was out there doing nothing but getting in our way on one of those celebrity things. Before flight ops we have FOD walk down (pick up anything that might get sucked up into a jet engine). As fate would have it, my buddy and I are leading FOD walk down. Rob Lowe walks up to me and my buddy after the walk down and asks if we want an autograph. My buddy looks at him and says “eff no you want mine”. So I didn’t really get to meet him 🤣

I was in Bass Pro Shop in Memphis when Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel were there. Supposedly, he had called ahead and they brought them in through a back door. He was looking at the guns. I’m not sure if he even bought any, but they whisked them out the back door when they left. Needless to say there were no conversations except them and the staff. Sort of a bummer.

If you got a view of her backside then totally worth it.

John Ward randomly came up to me and asked for directions one time when I was a student at UT. Eric Berry shared a newspaper with me at the ‘08 Ole Miss basketball game during player introductions. And my personal favorite; sat next to Candace Parker in a class and she would call me once a week to get answers for the lab work we had to turn in each week.

Almost saw Howard Baker at my job. He was led past my office as I was sitting in a chair. He was so diminuative he was hidden behind the books on a shelf under the window

Reactions: SmokinBob
Hung out with Nick Swardson at his favorite Hotel Bar in West Palm Beach, watching pro football two years ago that was pretty cool. He was a pretty cool guy. Think he was in town for a comedy show.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back