2020-21 Season. JG Potential

Will JG be a top-5 SEC QB this season?

• Total voters
If anyone here thinks that JG cannot improve, even though he has each year, then he or she does not know football.

Players don't max out their potential in college. If they did NFL rookies would be as good as vets and never get better.

Burrow was 23 darn years old last year. The year before he had the exact same rs Jr year as JG. Then boom. Players can get better as redshirt srs. It happens all the time.

Here's my crazy idea. Run the ball like a decent football team for the first time in 3 years and whoever is playing QB will suddenly look like they know what they're doing.
That is a great idea actually. It made Jake Fromm look decent, even though he was apparently only a 5th round talent. Got them to a title game even. Having a run game just frees up the passing game so much.

it still blows my mind how people keep saying Maurer was so much better than JG last year.HOW? IF you inverted their numbers then the whole JG sucks and Maurer is better argument has legs. IF JG put up the numbers Maurer did people would have been burning down Neyland. If Maurer put up JG's numbers people would have a point but that's not what happened. Maurers numbers were TERRIBLE. His best game he barely beat out JG's WORST game. There is not a single meaningful passing statistic that he beat out JG in... oh wait he threw picks at 3x the rate. How many games did Maurer win? yup none.

JG was not a great QB but until its proven different he is the best QB on our roster on the field. He is not a bad QB and most of the flack he gets is because we were losing. I still can't believe people tried to blame him for the Ga State game. He lead the offense to more than enough points to win and we give up 38 points on defense because our defense was missing key players the first 3 games. as soon as the D got healthy things started changing except by then we were experimenting with the freshman QB's. Every time they tried to put one of the kids in and JG had to come to bail them out. If we hadn't finally given up on that experiment we don't get bowl eligible.
The argument isn’t necessarily about WHOS better because the numbers say it’s JG. The argument stems from the fact that Maurer only played enough in one game for “stats” to matter for comparison, which was UGA. The following week he was playing another good game (outside of his two mistakes) vs MSU until he had the freak accident which left him with a concussion. The following week was Alabama and he was playing yet another good game until Saban seen enough of him and sent in a freshman LB to take a cheap shot to his head.

Long story short, speaking for myself, he showed consistency in the time was allowed vs 3 SEC opponents. 2 of those being the juggernauts of college football that no one gave him a punchers chance against. It was also no secret that CJP did NOT want to bench JG to begin with and he made it clear to anyone listening that he was just waiting for every opportunity to get him in there. You think Maurer May have picked up on that as well? I’m sure he did. In fact I know he did. So point in case is when stats are brought up for a qb that was gifted the opportunity vs the other that was denied the opportunity to redeem himself, stats suddenly seem irrelevant when you consider the entire truth of what really happened and how it came to be.

It did. One guy had one 16 minute stretch that produced two scores on 50% passing. Then he did not throw anymore tds but turned it over a ton and hit on less than 50% of his passes.

The other guy lead us to 8 wins. He also passed for as many or more tds in one game than the other guy had for the season six times.

Very telling indeed.

Just like the one game they actually split time pretty evenly one guy was 7/16 with less than 100 yards no tds and had 3 rushes for 18 yards. The other was 7/8 for 115 with 2 tds. He also had 6 rushes for 30 yards.

One definitely moved the ball better. It wasn't the 46% passer with 2 tds.

This is an asinine statement. JG did not LEAD the team to 8 wins. By saying that, you are completely discrediting the achievements of the other players, including the entire Defense. It's utterly disrespectful to the other kids on the team and the coaching staff.

Many times, the team had to win despite JG not being able to move the ball. I'm not going into every game. But here are a couple of examples.

South Carolina - one of the Vols most convincing wins. JG had 2 TD passes. One of which was purely the credit of Jennings playmaking ability. The Vols dominated defensively and special teams. The defense and special teams led the vols to victory. Plus a nice, beautiful pass from Shrout to pad the lead even more. Take away special teams, defense and Shrout - TN lost.

Vanderbilt - Eric gray and the Defense led the Vols to victory. Take them away, TN lost.

People might actually listen to you and even possibly agree if you would not be so dogmatic and so quick to attempt (poorly, i might add) to put others down. You come across as childish (im guessing you are young though) and ignorant. You have no rationale.

Last edited:
Anytime someone disagrees with you, I notice that you tend to throw in a "you must be k-towns other screen name".
Kinda silly.
I can see where he is coming from. K-town and Pulaski have extremely similar posting tactics, including their vocabulary, attempted insults, and even their habit of liking each other's posts in multiple threads.

It is very suspicious. It's eerily creepy how they both are obsessed with JG and they both will point only to JG stats, that are cherry picked. And they both cannot engage in a rationale discussion. it's an immediate argument with both of them if you share an opinion about JG that disagrees with their infatuation.

Reactions: 1vol8
I dont see how anyone can say JG improved immensely.

Yes the threw for more total yards and TDs...

But he completed less passes for a lower comp%
JG went from a 4 to 1 td to in ratio to 2 to 1...

All this while flaming out vs and barely playing vs top 25 teams.

All while hile his team improved around him..

None of that says Top 5 SEC QB......a QB of that caliber is getting NFL talk. JG will be lucky to be UDFA...

Pruitt delivers 2nd Big road win for his Tennessee Vols as the big Orange march into Norman and leaves Oklahoma wounded and in disarray

Would love to believe this but there's one huge problem - JG.

If he struggles against mediocre teams at home, why should I trust him to play well at Oklahoma?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I can see where he is coming from. K-town and Pulaski have extremely similar posting tactics, including their vocabulary, attempted insults, and even their habit of liking each other's posts in multiple threads.

It is very suspicious. It's eerily creepy how they both are obsessed with JG and they both will point only to JG stats, that are cherry picked. And they both cannot engage in a rationale discussion. it's an immediate argument with both of them if you share an opinion about JG that disagrees with their infatuation.
I have never felt felt it to be suspicious. I have also saw them simply stating their opinion, then it turns into more of an argument. It didn't become an argument just because of them, either. I better chill out before someone accuses me of being another one of their accounts!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I have never felt felt it to be suspicious. I have also saw them simply stating their opinion, then it turns into more of an argument. It didn't become an argument just because of them, either. I better chill out before someone accuses me of being another one of their accounts!
I gotta say that sjt18 , imo, is one of the most fair posters on this board. He criticizes and compliments no matter who the player is and without bias. That bias is what creates the argument. He knows I disagree on a few things he believes but he’s never attacked me, nor claimed me as anyone else. It’s just those two guys and imo it’s SIMPLY due to how obvious their bias is. Truth is I compliment him on his ability to see things that most may not. I agree with his observation of JG because he’s correct (up to this point). However sometimes I think those guys get under his skin enough that sometimes I can understand how some would FEEL he’s just a hater. And without keeping up with his posting history some may never know he just wants good qb play, no matter who it is.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
It’s too late. I’m going to need a cheek swab to cross reference with your IP address.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I gotta say that sjt18 , imo, is one of the most fair posters on this board. He criticizes and compliments no matter who the player is and without bias. That bias is what creates the argument. He knows I disagree on a few things he believes but he’s never attacked me, nor claimed me as anyone else. It’s just those two guys and imo it’s SIMPLY due to how obvious their bias is. Truth is I compliment him on his ability to see things that most may not. I agree with his observation of JG because he’s correct (up to this point). However sometimes I think those guys get under his skin enough that sometimes I can understand how some would FEEL he’s just a hater. And without keeping up with his posting history some may never know he just wants good qb play, no matter who it is.

Because if anyone is an alt name its you two.

Why criticize someone making up the same lies and bashing the better qb like you both are?

The argument isn’t necessarily about WHOS better because the numbers say it’s JG. The argument stems from the fact that Maurer only played enough in one game for “stats” to matter for comparison, which was UGA. The following week he was playing another good game (outside of his two mistakes) vs MSU until he had the freak accident which left him with a concussion. The following week was Alabama and he was playing yet another good game until Saban seen enough of him and sent in a freshman LB to take a cheap shot to his head.

Long story short, speaking for myself, he showed consistency in the time was allowed vs 3 SEC opponents. 2 of those being the juggernauts of college football that no one gave him a punchers chance against. It was also no secret that CJP did NOT want to bench JG to begin with and he made it clear to anyone listening that he was just waiting for every opportunity to get him in there. You think Maurer May have picked up on that as well? I’m sure he did. In fact I know he did. So point in case is when stats are brought up for a qb that was gifted the opportunity vs the other that was denied the opportunity to redeem himself, stats suddenly seem irrelevant when you consider the entire truth of what really happened and how it came to be.
So that is not a huge endorsement if only one game matters.
In that one game he started off good for one quarter even though he was still only 50% passing.

The last three quarters he was below 50% with a ton of turnovers. Being decent 25% of the time is not good qb play and definitely not consistent or steady qb play.

0 tds and 1 int vs Bama.

0 tds and 2 redzone ints vs MSU.

So in the three games you tout we have one 16 minute stretch with 2 tds to start. Then people actually played the pass vs him somewhat and no tds and 4 ints with a sack fumble td given up.

Not good.

Because if anyone is an alt name its you two.

Why criticize someone making up the same lies and bashing the better qb like you both are?
Dude.... you may need to look at who you’re talking to. I don’t “bash” JG. I only bring up JG in conversation with you guys when you compare/bash Maurer. In fact I don’t even respond when sjt18 makes negative comments about him. I agree with his evaluation of JG but in no way have I ever “bashed” any of our qbs openly. They all have something the others don’t. And I’ve always said, even before last year that JG SHOULD be the starter due to his experience and the fact that he DOES have the ABILITY to become more than we’ve seen. You just miss all that about me because you two are too busy “bashing” Maurer and I’m the realist that defends him with actual fact vs opinion. So just for future reference.....I like JG. I hope he gets better and makes a name for himself in the upcoming draft. However, if he’s not able to overcome we have VERY capable guys behind him that can obviously provide the TEAM with something they’ve lacked for quite a while.

Dude.... you may need to look at who you’re talking to. I don’t “bash” JG. I only bring up JG in conversation with you guys when you compare/bash Maurer. In fact I don’t even respond when sjt18 makes negative comments about him. I agree with his evaluation of JG but in no way have I ever “bashed” any of our qbs openly. They all have something the others don’t. And I’ve always said, even before last year that JG SHOULD be the starter due to his experience and the fact that he DOES have the ABILITY to become more than we’ve seen. You just miss all that about me because you two are too busy “bashing” Maurer and I’m the realist that defends him with actual fact vs opinion. So just for future reference.....I like JG. I hope he gets better and makes a name for himself in the upcoming draft. However, if he’s not able to overcome we have VERY capable guys behind him that can obviously provide the TEAM with something they’ve lacked for quite a while.
I have not once bashed Maurer. I was actually ne of his biggest fans on here when he signed. He was always someone I thought had potential. Still do.

He was nowhere near the qb JG was last year. He has miles to go to be ready to start. I think Bailey passed him up probably. None of that is bashing him.

IMO he was a project that was always going to need a couple years to sit. Now with Bailey here he may be out of luck.

So that is not a huge endorsement if only one game matters.
In that one game he started off good for one quarter even though he was still only 50% passing.

The last three quarters he was below 50% with a ton of turnovers. Being decent 25% of the time is not good qb play and definitely not consistent or steady qb play.

0 tds and 1 int vs Bama.

0 tds and 2 redzone ints vs MSU.

So in the three games you tout we have one 16 minute stretch with 2 tds to start. Then people actually played the pass vs him somewhat and no tds and 4 ints with a sack fumble td given up.

Not good.
#1- he played well above 50% vs UGA for a HALF. The second TD to JJ was in the second quarter that you are claiming he did nothing in. After the half UGA adjusted and we did not. Which is where his completion % went down. Why? Because all that time we invested in JG in the spring could’ve been invested in Maurer and MAYBE Chaney and he could’ve made adjustments at the half. Instead he had a mere 2 weeks to prepare for the best D in college football. The point is that’s the only game he played long enough for stats to matter and even then you can throw shade on the second half because of the amount of time our staff invested in him to that point.

#2 you kill me with that bs about the int vs Alabama. Anyone who watched that game doesn’t blame Maurer for that one. It just unfortunately shows up on his stat sheet. And once again.....rushing tds count for 6 as well and He was doing well enough for Saban to send in a cheap shot.

#3 he was hurting MSU pretty bad outside of those two mistakes. Once again if you want to be picky on a freshman THAT was the only games that gives you legs in this argument.

I have not once bashed Maurer. I was actually ne of his biggest fans on here when he signed. He was always someone I thought had potential. Still do.

He was nowhere near the qb JG was last year. He has miles to go to be ready to start. I think Bailey passed him up probably. None of that is bashing him.

IMO he was a project that was always going to need a couple years to sit. Now with Bailey here he may be out of luck.
How can Bailey have already past him up? Rank?

#1- he played well above 50% vs UGA for a HALF. The second TD to JJ was in the second quarter that you are claiming he did nothing in. After the half UGA adjusted and we did not. Which is where his completion % went down. Why? Because all that time we invested in JG in the spring could’ve been invested in Maurer and MAYBE Chaney and he could’ve made adjustments at the half. Instead he had a mere 2 weeks to prepare for the best D in college football. The point is that’s the only game he played long enough for stats to matter and even then you can throw shade on the second half because of the amount of time our staff invested in him to that point.

#2 you kill me with that bs about the int vs Alabama. Anyone who watched that game doesn’t blame Maurer for that one. It just unfortunately shows up on his stat sheet. And once again.....rushing tds count for 6 as well and He was doing well enough for Saban to send in a cheap shot.

#3 he was hurting MSU pretty bad outside of those two mistakes. Once again if you want to be picky on a freshman THAT was the only games that gives you legs in this argument.
I said the first 16 minutes of UGA. He had 99% of the td drive in the first quarter but technically threw the td in the second . So he was good for literally one play in the second. He threw the td 3 seconds into the second quarter.

So from 14:57 in the second quarter vs UGA on through the rest of the year not a single passing td. He did have an int ands a sack fumble td that game after. He bad pretty much evened out with the starting good by the end of the game.

He did some good and bad vs Bama.

He didn't just make some "mistakes" vs MSU. He made game losing blunders. The biggest mistakes possible twice and should have thrown another one or two they dropped.

Not being picky. I was being realistic. Many were and are overstating his effectiveness and also falsely stating he was outperforming JG.

He is a project.

I think Bailey is more polished already and has more talent. That is why I think he passed BM up once he was signed.

Yes, rankings are part of that evaluation.

Also BM did nothing last year to sew up even a backup spot.

I said the first 16 minutes of UGA. He had 99% of the td drive in the first quarter but technically threw the td in the second . So he was good for literally one play in the second. He threw the td 3 seconds into the second quarter.

So from 14:57 in the second quarter vs UGA on through the rest of the year not a single passing td. He did have an int ands a sack fumble td that game after. He bad pretty much evened out with the starting good by the end of the game.

He did some good and bad vs Bama.

He didn't just make some "mistakes" vs MSU. He made game losing blunders. The biggest mistakes possible twice and should have thrown another one or two they dropped.

Not being picky. I was being realistic. Many were and are overstating his effectiveness and also falsely stating he was outperforming JG.

He is a project.

I think Bailey is more polished already and has more talent. That is why I think he passed BM up once he was signed.

Yes, rankings are part of that evaluation.

Also BM did nothing last year to sew up even a backup spot.
My overall defense of him is simple. He did what he did to UGA on raw talent and limited prep. MSU is the mistakes you’d expect a freshman to make so I’m more concentrated on what he did otherwise and THAT was impressive. Then it was Bama time and he was having his way with them as well until Saban felt he was better off playing against JG. Like I said, I like JG but there’s a reason Saban did what he did and it was clear that LB hit Brian in the ear hole with the crown of his helmet. Then after the play the LB came off the field. Personally I feel like the rouge play of JGs in that game was due to the pressure Maurer was putting on him. I think JG felt like “I can score the same way Maurer did” and it backfired. Point is the competition was much closer than advertised and it showed on the field in different ways. As it should because they are both very different qbs. I think it’s obvious that Chaney had more confidence in Maurer than advertised due to the stats that you yourself brought up just yesterday. Vs UK BM had 16 pass attempts in less than 9 min of play vs JGs 8 in a half. All I’m saying is counting Maurer out is based solely on opinions and not fact. The only FACT we know is we have a really good qb room and we won’t keep them all. Let’s hope for UTs sake that CJP chooses the right one.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Still waiting for K-Town to address why he essentially has discredited the entire rest of the team and coaches by saying JG led the team to 8 wins.

If it wasn't for stellar defensive improvement and special teams, TN would have lost 2-4 more games, easy. If not more.

I guess when you can't argue a point, you just ignore. It's why the vast majority of the board views you the way they do.

Still waiting for K-Town to address why he essentially has discredited the entire rest of the team and coaches by saying JG led the team to 8 wins.

If it wasn't for stellar defensive improvement and special teams, TN would have lost 2-4 more games, easy. If not more.

I guess when you can't argue a point, you just ignore. It's why the vast majority of the board views you the way they do.
If the defense gets credit for all of those wins then why don't you credit them for losses vs teams like Ga St, Vandy and blowout losses to our 3 big rivals. The point you make is valid, you need all aspects of the team to play well in order to win in the SEC, I think that's why some of us take up for JG because he is not the sole reason for the Vols struggles the last few seasons and takes too much criticism for his actual play and production.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back