FL SDE Darrell Jackson

Yeah we got a lot of three stars, but this staff can obviously develop players and 3 stars can still win football games.

To me 3 stars are the guys that may not be ready for a year or two, but often are just as good as the 4 or 5 stars at the end of the day.

I mean look how well UVA played Florida this year in the orange bowl? I'm sure Florida had 17 thousand more four stars, but the Cavs were right there in the end.

3 stars like Darrell Jackson understand we are brining in 5 and 4 stars. He knows that, he likely wants to prove himself against them, or he maybe understands that he may have to wait his turn.

If you are top heavy with 5 and 4 stars, you redshirt a guy like Darrell Jackson and say a couple years down the line as a redshirt sophomore/junior, he's a third year player and he probably beats out a 5 or 4 star and goes out there and knows how to get the job done.

Yeah we got a lot of three stars, but this staff can obviously develop players and 3 stars can still win football games.

To me 3 stars are the guys that may not be ready for a year or two, but often are just as good as the 4 or 5 stars at the end of the day.

I mean look how well UVA played Florida this year in the orange bowl? I'm sure Florida had 17 thousand more four stars, but the Cavs were right there in the end.

3 stars like Darrell Jackson understand we are brining in 5 and 4 stars. He knows that, he likely wants to prove himself against them, or he maybe understands that he may have to wait his turn.

If you are top heavy with 5 and 4 stars, you redshirt a guy like Darrell Jackson and say a couple years down the line as a redshirt sophomore/junior, he's a third year player and he probably beats out a 5 or 4 star and goes out there and knows how to get the job done.
i think the 3* thing is a tad over blown for this class, just because there's been nothing for the services to do from a ratings standpoint this year. no camps etc.....you're also not seeing schools host camps and offering kids in those camps, that usually steeer attention toward a kid that had gone previously unnoticed in a lot of circles.

so it is what it is. that goes both ways too...some kids that are really ranked pretty high would get dropped along the way also.

it's easy to look at the 3* total and dismiss the class. but you start looking at some of those kids and you figure out that not all 3*'s are created equally.

isaac washington is a kid a lot of programs wanted, and we fought, twice, to secure his pledge, and he's the lowest rated player in this class. i mean i won't tell you that every offer he has is completely legit, or that he's a take at all those schools, but he's got offers from UGA, UNC, USCe, FL, Auburn, OU, Ole Miss.....

the CB we just got, Rucker...his offer list....and those are legit offers....looks like a 5* list....Clemson wanted that kid.
Tyion Evans is #1 RB in Juco, and virtually everyone that has offered an opinion on him loves him as a player....and he was coveted by other SEC programs.

Elijah Howard has been in the boat for a long time, and his speed is so valuable. plus since he's been in the boat for so long, i doubt he's been heavily sought after, and has probably kind of an afterthought really.

Edwin Wite is an AL kid that has the measurables this staff likes for it's secondary....this is an evaluation you just have to trust.

Roc Taylor, another AL kid that the coaches evaluated and liked. good size, and he does have multiple SEC offers. if you want to pick on it, neither in state school has offered him.

so, it is what it is.

on the surface, this class looks really, really top heavy...not quite as deep as the 20 class...but i'd wager it's deeper than it looks on paper.

inevitably there will be guys that get bumps, and i'm sure a couple that get dropped along the way, and i would be absolutely shocked if we didn't see movement in/out of this class before it's all over.

still....siap, the floor for this class i think is top 10.......and that's right where we need to be, to continue to build on the last two classes and really set us up for the forseeable future to remain a consistent competitor in the SEC.....which i think we're really close to being that...maybe not this season...but i think we'll be a tough out for anyone we play, and won't be surprised if we don't ruint a season or two along the way for some of our competitors.......

There will be cuts made. Stars matter for the most part... I'd say we are going to see 2-3 exits at least before the season begins.
agreed. and while i do get the notion that stars matter, at least in terms of "grouping", i'm not gonna get hung up on anything if this class winds up 8th instead of 4th...lol.

if you tell me we're recruiting at a top 10/top 5 level consistently, then that's all that really matters. if you're in those conversations regularly, you will see yourself in top 5/top 10 conversations on the field soon enough.

agreed. and while i do get the notion that stars matter, at least in terms of "grouping", i'm not gonna get hung up on anything if this class winds up 8th instead of 4th...lol.

if you tell me we're recruiting at a top 10/top 5 level consistently, then that's all that really matters. if you're in those conversations regularly, you will see yourself in top 5/top 10 conversations on the field soon enough.
Agreed. I can see a spot being held for this guy as a project... that wingspan is nice... not so much for the smaller DB/S guys we have committed. Can't really compare them to Kamar/other types.

Agreed. I can see a spot being held for this guy as a project... that wingspan is nice... not so much for the smaller DB/S guys we have committed. Can't really compare them to Kamar/other types.
that rucker kid is good. if he were 1.5" taller he'd be a top 150 player.

that kids offer list is legit.....

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
He gives us length that we really need. For some reason a lot of our edge guys are like 6-1 or 6-2. Kivon Bennett, Roman Harrison, crouch as well are all 6-2 or less. Not saying they can't be effective, but being 6-5 with long arms makes it easier to disrupt passing plays.

The star system is mostly based on how early a kid is projected to start or make an impact. It doesn't do so great at projecting long term success of prospects. That's where coaches come in as evaluators and developers of talent. Our staff has an A+ previous track record in this regard. I think last season proved that instead of losing a locker room, CJP has the ability to get players to step up and play lights out for him.

i think the 3* thing is a tad over blown for this class, just because there's been nothing for the services to do from a ratings standpoint this year. no camps etc.....you're also not seeing schools host camps and offering kids in those camps, that usually steeer attention toward a kid that had gone previously unnoticed in a lot of circles.

so it is what it is. that goes both ways too...some kids that are really ranked pretty high would get dropped along the way also.

it's easy to look at the 3* total and dismiss the class. but you start looking at some of those kids and you figure out that not all 3*'s are created equally.

isaac washington is a kid a lot of programs wanted, and we fought, twice, to secure his pledge, and he's the lowest rated player in this class. i mean i won't tell you that every offer he has is completely legit, or that he's a take at all those schools, but he's got offers from UGA, UNC, USCe, FL, Auburn, OU, Ole Miss.....

the CB we just got, Rucker...his offer list....and those are legit offers....looks like a 5* list....Clemson wanted that kid.
Tyion Evans is #1 RB in Juco, and virtually everyone that has offered an opinion on him loves him as a player....and he was coveted by other SEC programs.

Elijah Howard has been in the boat for a long time, and his speed is so valuable. plus since he's been in the boat for so long, i doubt he's been heavily sought after, and has probably kind of an afterthought really.

Edwin Wite is an AL kid that has the measurables this staff likes for it's secondary....this is an evaluation you just have to trust.

Roc Taylor, another AL kid that the coaches evaluated and liked. good size, and he does have multiple SEC offers. if you want to pick on it, neither in state school has offered him.

so, it is what it is.

on the surface, this class looks really, really top heavy...not quite as deep as the 20 class...but i'd wager it's deeper than it looks on paper.

inevitably there will be guys that get bumps, and i'm sure a couple that get dropped along the way, and i would be absolutely shocked if we didn't see movement in/out of this class before it's all over.

still....siap, the floor for this class i think is top 10.......and that's right where we need to be, to continue to build on the last two classes and really set us up for the forseeable future to remain a consistent competitor in the SEC.....which i think we're really close to being that...maybe not this season...but i think we'll be a tough out for anyone we play, and won't be surprised if we don't ruint a season or two along the way for some of our competitors.......
TLDR

Reactions: StoVol
Posted this in the Who’s next? thread initially, because I thought it was another potential commit from FL to the good guys. But could Darrell Jackson be on flip watch?
1588822502563.png

so, it is what it is.

Personally... I'm OK with taking a 3* who is one of the fastest kids in the country too.

In fact, he may be the one guy I'm most interested in seeing at the next level.

Reactions: jakez4ut

so, it is what it is.

Agree with you. Look it comes down to this, either you're going to trust Pruitt to build this team or you're not. It's clear he knows what he wants and he appears to be a pretty good evaluator of talent. Look at the 2020 class. If I remember correctly Calloway was a 3 star when he first committed but by the time recruiting was over he was a 4 star. I've wondered about Colby Smith, but according to the kid Pruitt put such a priority on him he personally took over his recruiting. You can see a method there the last two years.

Pruitt is taking guys like Spraggins and Smith who have good footwork and the frame that can be rebuilt in the weight room into someone who is 325 lbs of muscle after a redshirt year and redshirt freshman year with no PT that a 4-5 star isn't going to want to go through. It's pretty clear he wants really big guards that are going to move the DTs on the opposing team. I miss the days when we would run up the middle on everyone, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, anyone. There was once an article in SI about the keystone play for each of the top teams. Tennessee was shown for a play where the guard and center double teamed the NT, the OT took out the DE, the FB (remember our huge for those days 245 lbs FBs) took the LB leaving the safety one on one with the RB 6-7 yards downfield. It was money.

Elsewhere it seems to be about speed and more speed. Have you forgotten how bad it was at the end of the Dooley years to watch the other team's RB break the angle and escape untouched purely due to speed. We looked like a 2nd tier Big Ten team out there. That's not happening anymore.

Plus when he focuses on a weakness he fixes it. Remember how we were lamenting that we weren't going to have any WRs after the past season was over? Look at the 2020 class. Before that it was the OL and DL. Now those are the strengths of the team. Not to mention his rebuild of the secondary.

It comes down to whether you trust Pruitt or you don't. After the prior 9 years, I'm on board. And if you're still not sure go look at the Alabama boards. They're recognizing what he's doing. They're already talking about him being Satan's replacement when he retires.

Agree with you. Look it comes down to this, either you're going to trust Pruitt to build this team or you're not. It's clear he knows what he wants and he appears to be a pretty good evaluator of talent. Look at the 2020 class. If I remember correctly Calloway was a 3 star when he first committed but by the time recruiting was over he was a 4 star. I've wondered about Colby Smith, but according to the kid Pruitt put such a priority on him he personally took over his recruiting. You can see a method there the last two years.

Pruitt is taking guys like Spraggins and Smith who have good footwork and the frame that can be rebuilt in the weight room into someone who is 325 lbs of muscle after a redshirt year and redshirt freshman year with no PT that a 4-5 star isn't going to want to go through. It's pretty clear he wants really big guards that are going to move the DTs on the opposing team. I miss the days when we would run up the middle on everyone, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, anyone. There was once an article in SI about the keystone play for each of the top teams. Tennessee was shown for a play where the guard and center double teamed the NT, the OT took out the DE, the FB (remember our huge for those days 245 lbs FBs) took the LB leaving the safety one on one with the RB 6-7 yards downfield. It was money.

Elsewhere it seems to be about speed and more speed. Have you forgotten how bad it was at the end of the Dooley years to watch the other team's RB break the angle and escape untouched purely due to speed. We looked like a 2nd tier Big Ten team out there. That's not happening anymore.

Plus when he focuses on a weakness he fixes it. Remember how we were lamenting that we weren't going to have any WRs after the past season was over? Look at the 2020 class. Before that it was the OL and DL. Now those are the strengths of the team. Not to mention his rebuild of the secondary.

It comes down to whether you trust Pruitt or you don't. After the prior 9 years, I'm on board. And if you're still not sure go look at the Alabama boards. They're recognizing what he's doing. They're already talking about him being Satan's replacement when he retires.

There were times last season where, for the first time in years, we lined up, ran right at the defense, and picked up the 3-4 yards we needed even when they knew what was coming. It was great to see.

There were times last season where, for the first time in years, we lined up, ran right at the defense, and picked up the 3-4 yards we needed even when they knew what was coming. It was great to see.
Favorite play of the season was moving the pile against Bama for a first down. Felt like the confidence boost the oline needed.

Last edited:

If we hold this level class and continue to develop on the LOS, we will be back soon.

Think of how many games we blew over the last 10 years because we didn’t have the horses on the line, and certainly lacked the depth for a 12 game season. Pruitt is an in your face, stomp the other team until they quit type of coach. He coaches fundamentals, not empty emotion with no plan once the other team punches back. The road back under him will be satisfying.

VN Store

Back