Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

SC can't use USC because of a suit from some school in SoCal
It was about the logo on the baseball cap. They can not forbid the USC logo.....we just used the same SC script on the baseball caps. We use SC so it won't confuse people not because we can't. I like just using "Gamecocks". That is unique enough much like you guys used the "Vols" instead of UT.

It was about the logo on the baseball cap. They can not forbid the USC logo.....we just used the same SC script on the baseball caps. We use SC so it won't confuse people not because we can't. I like just using "Gamecocks". That is unique enough much like you guys used the "Vols" instead of UT.
It confuses people because the majority of them think USC is the University of Southern California. I’m in that group but I grew up with IsC and OJ Simpson, Mike Garrett and the great football rivalries in the 60’s.

He is neither UT nor a Vol.
And I agree; SC is USC if want to use it, of course I consider SC as Carolina, that other state is only and ever North Carolina.👍

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I think the suit I am referring to was SC request to drop the 'SCAR' designation on TV and change it to USC. That is when USC got involved. I love the look of the SC baseball caps.

I think the suit I am referring to was SC request to drop the 'SCAR' designation on TV and change it to USC. That is when USC got involved. I love the look of the SC baseball caps.
Yes...this was more about identifications on Twitter and such. So. Cal has trademarked most of those things (they were ahead of the game) but this was the one that was actually settled in court. We seem to loose the things because of being reactive instead of proactive. Troublesome at best....

Nine years ago, Southern Cal won a trademark lawsuit against the University of South Carolina over the Palmetto State school’s baseball uniform logo. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at the time, “The court dismissed South Carolina’s counterclaim that Southern Cal’s logo falsely suggests an affiliation with the state of South Carolina.”

Yes...this was more about identifications on Twitter and such. So. Cal has trademarked most of those things (they were ahead of the game) but this was the one that was actually settled in court. We seem to loose the things because of being reactive instead of proactive. Troublesome at best....

Nine years ago, Southern Cal won a trademark lawsuit against the University of South Carolina over the Palmetto State school’s baseball uniform logo. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at the time, “The court dismissed South Carolina’s counterclaim that Southern Cal’s logo falsely suggests an affiliation with the state of South Carolina.”
I wonder where the court was?

I wonder where the court was?
I am not sure...but...you guys were smart by adopting the Vol's name instead of UT...we would be wise to do the same with Gamecocks instead of USC, SC, UofSC or Carolina...the Gamecocks makes it very clear who we are talking about....as much as the Vol's for you guys.

I am not sure...but...you guys were smart by adopting the Vol's name instead of UT...we would be wise to do the same with Gamecocks instead of USC, SC, UofSC or Carolina...the Gamecocks makes it very clear who we are talking about....as much as the Vol's for you guys.
Uuhh, I'm an interloper here, my primary team wears blue also I live in the upstate and my daughter's married into Gamecock4Life so I follow the garnet/black. Sshhh, don't tell anyone.

When UConn signs Azzi....

Conn!
khaaaaan-jpg.jpg

Reactions: creekdipper
Why is South Carolina call themselves USC

When you look up the initials SC and college Southern Cal comes u p

in fact I just typed in :
sc initials college university

and this came up;
Tired of competing for 'USC,' South Carolina pushes a new abbreviation. The University of South Carolina is now pushing to be referred to as UofSC so as not to get confused with USC, the University of Southern California.Jan 10, 2019

When you look up the initials SC and college Southern Cal comes u p

in fact I just typed in :
sc initials college university

and this came up;
Tired of competing for 'USC,' South Carolina pushes a new abbreviation. The University of South Carolina is now pushing to be referred to as UofSC so as not to get confused with USC, the University of Southern California.Jan 10, 2019
I think we should just use Gamecocks on everything...no Carolina...no USC or UofSC or SC....We actually did that in the 80's....all uniforms had Gamecocks on the front.

It depends, because as much as has to do with the surrounding pieces as it does the player itself. No one will deny that Elena Delladonne was a "program changer", but she played for UD and they weren't going anywhere because the team wasn't talented enough outside of her. Would Breanna still be a "program changer" if she went to Syracuse? There are a lot of "really good" or "great" players that would have been viewed through a different lens if they went to a different school.
Except EDD left no impact on Delaware. They won nothing and quickly returned to oblivion. Lobo had an impact because she changed a program from cow town (literally the most famous thing about UConn was the ice cream they made from their own dairy herd) to perennial contender.

Except EDD left no impact on Delaware. They won nothing and quickly returned to oblivion. Lobo had an impact because she changed a program from cow town (literally the most famous thing about UConn was the ice cream they made from their own dairy herd) to perennial contender.
No one was going to transform Delaware. Just like Jackie Stiles didn't transform Missouri State. But no one will doubt either of them are great players that could have had multiple NCs if they went other schools. I stand by my original statement that "transformative" and "generational" labels get thrown around waaaaay to often. It's not all about the player. It's the player + the program.

VN Store

Back