NCAA pushing decision out on 1 free transfer - update

Don't think Zaay's situation is anywhere close to that scenario. She was definitely wanted back except for her actions and choices. That's on her, not the institution. I just want one Lady Vol name where they got their scholly yanked due to non performance and whatever. I don't know of one.

Agreed, but point is that nowadays athletes dosen't care much, as soon as something happens they want to transfer. Some athletes had worst than her, got furnished and still stayed.

I want to be wrong and I hope for some unexpected medical breakthrough that breaks the back of the pandemic. But the warnings of an even more virulent second wave coming in Fall and late winter, raises a non-trivial possibility that we might not see much NCAA b-ball for 2020-21. If that were to transpire, well, depth is not much of an issue when there are no games to play.
I am sad to say I will be shocked if there is a 2020-21 season. Unfortunately, the odds seem low that there will be either a reliable preventative vaccine, or a cure for those dianosed with COVID-19, anytime soon. Like I said, I hope and pray to be wrong!
I don't think a second wave nor lack of a vaccine is going to matter, unless people are literally dying in the streets. I'm pretty sure we aren't going home again. Maybe my view from a super red town is scewed, but most I encounter take the Chris Christie view - old, sick and minorities (and health care workers) will just have to die in the background, we can't damage the economy over it any more. It's that time capitalism went full on amoral, and "pro-lifers" took a dive for money. Very few in this area wear masks and no one social distances. Many still view it all as a "hoax". Everyone wants their normal back.

So NFL has released a tenative schedule, MLB hopes to start a scaled down sched in July, NASCAR is starting fan-less races now. You KNOW college football is going to happen. So I think college basketball, maybe an altered version, is definitely going to happen.

So we need a darn back up PG very badly! Let's not do the JH as PG experiment without a safety net!

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I don't think a second wave nor lack of a vaccine is going to matter, unless people are literally dying in the streets. I'm pretty sure we aren't going home again. Maybe my view from a super red town is scewed, but most I encounter take the Chris Christie view - old, sick and minorities (and health care workers) will just have to die in the background, we can't damage the economy over it any more. It's that time capitalism went full on amoral, and "pro-lifers" took a dive for money. Very few in this area wear masks and no one social distances. Many still view it all as a "hoax". Everyone wants their normal back.

So NFL has released a tenative schedule, MLB hopes to start a scaled down sched in July, NASCAR is starting fan-less races now. You KNOW college football is going to happen. So I think college basketball, maybe an altered version, is definitely going to happen.

So we need a darn back up PG very badly! Let's not do the JH as PG experiment without a safety net!

Okay, probably not the right place for this but the presumed trade-off between saving live and saving the economy is a false one:

Jeffrey Pfeffer: There is no trade-off between health and economics

As I point out in my book Dying for a Paycheck, there is really no trade-off between health and economic performance – at any level of analysis. Healthier people are less likely to be absent or voluntarily quit and are, no surprise, more productive and less likely to exhibit presenteeism – being physically at work but not able to concentrate. What is true for health in the workplace generally is also true for the Covid-19 pandemic.

Workplaces struggling to control the virus face absence, turnover, possible collective action and productivity issues. Therefore, the only time to open up the economy is when there are sufficient testing and contact-tracing resources to map the disease (which at present there are not), and sufficient healthcare resources and preferably scientifically validated treatments to be able to cope with a flare-up of cases (which again there are currently not).

Opening up the economy too soon and confronting an enormous rise in deaths will inevitably scare everyone and lead to worse economic dislocations and a longer period of restrained economic activity as people become more risk-averse. The cost-benefit analysis of opening too soon is highly asymmetric, even without considering the sanctity of human life. Moreover, I hope we learn something: public health systems and agencies starved for resources offer no slack or resilience in the face of suddenly appearing, new diseases. Governments around the world need to build health infrastructures that are adequately resourced and staffed to face the pandemics that are becoming much more frequent.

Everybody is contingency planning. Universities are planning for both regular classes, on-line only classes or some hybrid model. Major pro sports migth be able to resume with fans to get the TV revenue because they can isolate players from the general population and test them. Colleges sports won't happen if on-campus activities are banned and we have the additional complexities that different Universities, in a given conference, might be operating under different policies.

I hope the season can happen. No football revenues would have a devastating effect on athletic departments and a lot of programs across many different sports would likely fold. As unimaginable as sounds, a major disruption to the Fall could also bankrupt many smaller colleges and university.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
Okay, probably not the right place for this but the presumed trade-off between saving live and saving the economy is a false one:

Jeffrey Pfeffer: There is no trade-off between health and economics

As I point out in my book Dying for a Paycheck, there is really no trade-off between health and economic performance – at any level of analysis. Healthier people are less likely to be absent or voluntarily quit and are, no surprise, more productive and less likely to exhibit presenteeism – being physically at work but not able to concentrate. What is true for health in the workplace generally is also true for the Covid-19 pandemic.

Workplaces struggling to control the virus face absence, turnover, possible collective action and productivity issues. Therefore, the only time to open up the economy is when there are sufficient testing and contact-tracing resources to map the disease (which at present there are not), and sufficient healthcare resources and preferably scientifically validated treatments to be able to cope with a flare-up of cases (which again there are currently not).

Opening up the economy too soon and confronting an enormous rise in deaths will inevitably scare everyone and lead to worse economic dislocations and a longer period of restrained economic activity as people become more risk-averse. The cost-benefit analysis of opening too soon is highly asymmetric, even without considering the sanctity of human life. Moreover, I hope we learn something: public health systems and agencies starved for resources offer no slack or resilience in the face of suddenly appearing, new diseases. Governments around the world need to build health infrastructures that are adequately resourced and staffed to face the pandemics that are becoming much more frequent.

Everybody is contingency planning. Universities are planning for both regular classes, on-line only classes or some hybrid model. Major pro sports migth be able to resume with fans to get the TV revenue because they can isolate players from the general population and test them. Colleges sports won't happen if on-campus activities are banned and we have the additional complexities that different Universities, in a given conference, might be operating under different policies.

I hope the season can happen. No football revenues would have a devastating effect on athletic departments and a lot of programs across many different sports would likely fold. As unimaginable as sounds, a major disruption to the Fall could also bankrupt many smaller colleges and university.

The problem with this is that it assumes the individual is going to choose their health over their income. We are well trained capitalists at the end of the day. A large number of people have already decided they’re willing to choose their livelihood (and the livelihood of the country) over relative safety.

If you’re looking at it purely from a science perspective it is obvious the virus has moved too far into the population. We are not going to get rid of it with social distancing. It will infect the majority of the population. Serological testing is indicating that significantly more infections have occurred than have been tested/reported. We avoided catastrophic hospital stress almost everywhere.

I believe life will return to some normalcy with modifications soon. Masks will be required at large public events. Concessions, security and restrooms will operate much differently. But the show goes on. My gut feeling says the fall sports happen.

Last edited:
The problem with this is that it assumes the individual is going to choose their health over their income. We are well trained capitalists at the end of the day. A large number of people have already decided they’re willing to choose their livelihood (and the livelihood of the country) over relative safety.

If you’re looking at it purely from a science perspective it is obvious the virus has moved too far into the population. We are not going to get rid of it with social distancing. It will infect the majority of the population. Serological testing is indicating that significantly more infections have occurred than have been tested/reported. We avoid catastrophic hospital stress almost everywhere.

I believe life will return to some normalcy with modifications soon. Masks will be required at large public events. Concessions, security and restrooms with operate much differently. But the show goes on. My gut feeling says the fall sports happen.
Agree. There was a point that a middle ground between health and economy was possible but that ship has long since sailed. Would require extensive, accurate testing and contact tracing that we don't have to this day, months in. We only ever had to isolate everyone, thereby destroying the economy, because we could never identify those who actually needed to be quarantined. Total testing fail. Coulda shoulda woulda.

There is pressure on everyone now to open quickly, led by the administration which is washing hands of the virus faster than Pontus Pilot. Dissolving the main virus taskforce and quickly on to the economy. Embracing "normalcy with modifications", also known as herd immunity, exactly what their own "guidelines" (remember them?) warn against. Contradictory AF and Machiavellian to boot, its actually sound political strategy. Virus beat you badly, declare victory and turn to the economy, something you might be able to control.

Us medical people were kinda hoping the going back out would be orderly and carefully planned but no such luck. It's a mirror image of how folks went in, no one wanted to be the last guy to close and now no one wants to be last to open. Floodgates open. Obviously ups the risk for us and for vulnerable people. Price You Pay (great Springsteen song, Bruce my bud these tough days).

College sports are happening. Too much money involved and too big a symbol not to happen in some form. So about that backup PG . . .

Last edited:
Interesting analysis, glv. Although I think you meant Pontius Pilate.

Unless you meant POTUS pileup. Or pontiff pilaf.

Agree. There was a point that a middle ground between health and economy was possible but that ship has long since sailed. Would require extensive, accurate testing and contact tracing that we don't have to this day, months in. We only ever had to isolate everyone, thereby destroying the economy, because we could never identify those who actually needed to be quarantined. Total testing fail. Coulda shoulda woulda.

There is pressure on everyone now to open quickly, led by the administration which is washing hands of the virus faster than Pontus Pilot. Dissolving the main virus taskforce and quickly on to the economy. Embracing "normalcy with modifications", also known as herd immunity, exactly what their own "guidelines" (remember them?) warn against. Contradictory AF and Machiavellian to boot, its actually sound political strategy. Virus beat you badly, declare victory and turn to the economy, something you might be able to control.

Us medical people were kinda hoping the going back out would be orderly and carefully planned but no such luck. It's a mirror image of how folks went in, no one wanted to be the last guy to close and now no one wants to be last to open. Floodgates open. Obviously ups the risk for us and for vulnerable people. Price You Pay (great Springsteen song, Bruce my bud these tough days).

College sports are happening. Too much money involved and too big a symbol not to happen in some form. So about that backup PG . . .

Worth a read:

Can we really expect college football to start on time in the fall? Here's what national experts are saying

I am sad to say I will be shocked if there is a 2020-21 season. Unfortunately, the odds seem low that there will be either a reliable preventative vaccine, or a cure for those dianosed with COVID-19, anytime soon. Like I said, I hope and pray to be wrong!
Today it was announced UTK is open Fall 2020 Semester. You know the SEC will open fall and winter sports.

Today it was announced UTK is open Fall 2020 Semester. You know the SEC will open fall and winter sports.

200w.gif

Reactions: Smallvol#1

Actually, that is not quite right. From the UT announcement:

The task force is doing critical work planning for how we can safely operate and deliver an on-campus experience in a few months with COVID-19 still a reality of our world,” said Plowman. “The residential campus experience also will have to look different this fall than it did before COVID-19.”
The task force will continue planning around two other scenarios as well—beginning the term on campus with a need to go back online due to a resurgence of the virus, and remaining completely online in the fall—in order to be prepared and ensure safety and continuity under any circumstance.

So, on campus with significant social distancing in place is one contingency (how that might accommodate letting 100,000+ people aggregate in Neyland stadium is hard to envision); and then others include a fully on-line, virtual campus.

What will drive that decision? How fast the virus spreads and the toll its take on health care services once these bans are lifted. The early indicants from re-open states like Texas, GA, and Florida suggests an even bigger 2nd wave is coming. Even the Trump administrations projections foresee a doubling of total deaths in the US by August. Not exactly the most enticing situation for inviting students, faculty and staff back on campus.

Universities will be one of the most cautious institutions when it comes to responding to these circumstances. No University wants a story about how they jeopardized 1000s of lives to play a football game. New medical evidence showing that corona virus can cause strokes and heart attacks in younger individuals (thereby greatly broadening the understanding of who is at risk) will also have a huge impact on University administrators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickster
Actually, that is not quite right. From the UT announcement:

The task force is doing critical work planning for how we can safely operate and deliver an on-campus experience in a few months with COVID-19 still a reality of our world,” said Plowman. “The residential campus experience also will have to look different this fall than it did before COVID-19.”
The task force will continue planning around two other scenarios as well—beginning the term on campus with a need to go back online due to a resurgence of the virus, and remaining completely online in the fall—in order to be prepared and ensure safety and continuity under any circumstance.

So, on campus with significant social distancing in place is one contingency (how that might accommodate letting 100,000+ people aggregate in Neyland stadium is hard to envision); and then others include a fully on-line, virtual campus.

What will drive that decision? How fast the virus spreads and the toll its take on health care services once these bans are lifted. The early indicants from re-open states like Texas, GA, and Florida suggests an even bigger 2nd wave is coming. Even the Trump administrations projections foresee a doubling of total deaths in the US by August. Not exactly the most enticing situation for inviting students, faculty and staff back on campus.

Universities will be one of the most cautious institutions when it comes to responding to these circumstances. No University wants a story about how they jeopardized 1000s of lives to play a football game. New medical evidence showing that corona virus can cause strokes and heart attacks in younger individuals (thereby greatly broadening the understanding of who is at risk) will also have a huge impact on University administrators.
No. I’m a student and received confirmation that Fall 2020 Semester will be on UT to Resume On-Campus Experience This Fall

No. I’m a student and received confirmation that Fall 2020 Semester will be on UT to Resume On-Campus Experience This Fall

If students are on campus my bet is sports will happen. With crowds. There will be some modifications and they may spread seating out. If things are going that far back to normal there is no reason not to. College campuses are a hot bed for viral illnesses. That is essentially giving up lol.

Reactions: LadyOrange

Read the full announcement. My previous post drew from the very same announcement you lite. Students on campus is CONTINGENT plan and it assumes that there is not a resurgence of the virus. UT, like just about every other school is planning, for multiple contingencies.

There are no confirmations that can made at this point. UT hopes that they can hold regular fall classes but it is all still up in the air.

VN Store

Back