NCAA pushing decision out on 1 free transfer - update

Unless the no sit out rule passes, she definitely should. Sorry she already sat out an injury year, but that has no relation to the current situation. I think all weed rules are silly wastes of time, but it was the rule and she broke it, probably more than once. So she sits.

I tend to agree with the idea...alcohol is much more devastating and accessible to young kids. Then again, any thing that alters the mind and body is detrimental to new growth. Its a hard subject to tackle, but it is a rule and rules apply.

It seems silly to come to a complete stop on that 4-way that is down the road, you've been at it a million times and it almost never sees more than one car at a time, but if you roll through it and you get caught,,,you get caught!

Reactions: glv98
Guess we just have different definitions of hate. I personally didn't see any of that in Jazz. I thought she was our most improved player and had turned into a fine little ball player. People saying the lack of effort and other stuff are just talking out of their rear. I saw every minute of every game and was at the SEC tourney. I didn't see a lack of effort from her at any time. It's true she wasn't an aggressive, put your head down and go point guard but that's not her style. I hated to see her leave but now that she's gone, don't care how she does. The relation to how she is spoken about related to Zaay is easy. Zaay didn't play last year. If she had played, I am sure the same people would be badmouthing her play as well. I don't pay a lot of attention to what they say about the players, I observe their play an make my own judgements. We just lost two good basketball players and that hurts, but we didn't have one of them playing last year so that blow is not quite as bad as losing Jaz. Next man up as they say. Can't worry about the ones that left.

Agree. Next man up. Case closed

I guess that's my problem. Involuntary ouster due to rule breaking gives you a better opportunity than self-ouster due to perceived lack of being a proper fit after giving it a try and staying within all rules. Probably just me, but there's something off about that.
It may not come true that she gets to play, but I think due to the involuntary ouster and also sitting out the year redshirting would play in her favor. I like the one time transfer rule only if it totally means your stuck at your second destination or you have to quit basketball all together. I think a lot of players make a mistake the first commit and signing. They may do it again even the second time, but you have to hold them accountable for their decisions eventually.

Reactions: Prophet1
It may not come true that she gets to play, but I think due to the involuntary ouster and also sitting out the year redshirting would play in her favor. I like the one time transfer rule only if it totally means your stuck at your second destination or you have to quit basketball all together. I think a lot of players make a mistake the first commit and signing. They may do it again even the second time, but you have to hold them accountable for their decisions eventually.

I like that wrinkle
only if it totally means your stuck at your second destination or you have to quit basketball all together

I like that wrinkle
only if it totally means your stuck at your second destination or you have to quit basketball all together
Generally agree with that but what if you've already transferred once and then something happens that qualifies for others as extenuating circumstance like coaching change, etc. Are you stuck even if those circumstances occur? It is complex.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Generally agree with that but what if you've already transferred once and then something happens that qualifies for others as extenuating circumstance like coaching change, etc. Are you stuck even if those circumstances occur? It is complex.

I have no heart for jumpers from the gitgo
programs spend excessively to recruit and get these recruits only to lose them with no recompense
They'll get no pity from me except on hardship cases

Reactions: Volfan2012
I am fairly sure it is going to be first time free and the second an automatic sit out. Very hard to ask a player to stay after the coach that recruited them leaves. I don't see how they could make a player stay, but a year sit out for all other transfers would be fair and the second transfer should be a year sitting regardless of the situation.

I am fairly sure it is going to be first time free and the second an automatic sit out. Very hard to ask a player to stay after the coach that recruited them leaves. I don't see how they could make a player stay, but a year sit out for all other transfers would be fair and the second transfer should be a year sitting regardless of the situation.

if this rule passes, college basketball as we know it ends

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
programs spend excessively to recruit and get these recruits only to lose them with no recompense
And therefore be forced to go get transfers other schools spent excessively to recruit and for which no recompense will be offered. No pity from me for the athletic budgetary structure.

I want it to be whats best for kids and best for the game overall.

And therefore be forced to go get transfers other schools spent excessively to recruit and for which no recompense will be offered. No pity from me for the athletic budgetary structure.

I want it to be whats best for kids and best for the game overall.

We want the same outcome but through different venues...different I want commitment!
This nation has already become a nation of job-jumpers, now it starts even earlier

Any pretense of parity certainly will end. However, at the top the level of play will shoot up as the most highly skilled, court proven players will pool there. Better good teams, worse bad teams, less player stability for fans to invest in. For average fans like us, it probably means a whole lot more bad, lopsided games to sit through.

Reactions: Prophet1
Any pretense of parity certainly will end. However, at the top the level of play will shoot up as the most highly skilled, court proven players will pool there. Better good teams, worse bad teams, less player stability for fans to invest in. For average fans like us, it probably means a whole lot more bad, lopsided games to sit through.
On this we absolutely agree

We want the same outcome but through different venues...different I want commitment!
This nation has already become a nation of job-jumpers, now it starts even earlier
I get that on a principled level. Realistically, I think if the coach is sharp and the program successful, commitment level takes care of itself most of the time.

It doesn't end but rosters will certainly be something like the NBA with a lot of movement every year. Recruiting freshmen won't be as valuable JMO as going out and getting one and two year players out of the portal. At least those players would have to sit or stay with you depending on what the rule finally says. Being able to provide hard coaching would be something of the past as to many players have thin skin these days. If they didn't come in as freshmen and get a lot of playing time would probably be on the move as well. I will have to see how they write the rule. They can give them the one time free pass, but there has to be some kind of way to deal with players after they use that free pass. You can't have multiple transfers being allowed to much for any coach or program to handle.

It doesn't end but rosters will certainly be something like the NBA with a lot of movement every year. Recruiting freshmen won't be as valuable JMO as going out and getting one and two year players out of the portal. At least those players would have to sit or stay with you depending on what the rule finally says. Being able to provide hard coaching would be something of the past as to many players have thin skin these days. If they didn't come in as freshmen and get a lot of playing time would probably be on the move as well. I will have to see how they write the rule. They can give them the one time free pass, but there has to be some kind of way to deal with players after they use that free pass. You can't have multiple transfers being allowed to much for any coach or program to handle.

Bingo
recruiting will take a backseat to stealing players through "coy-snakes"

"Eve, go ahead and taste the apple, when you get done, I will have a buffet waiting on you"
It'll be more like the first team is a farming system and the second team is the majors

Zaay will not have a better shot at playing than Jaz. See the Cooper situation at South Carolina. If there is any consistency at all, the ruling for Zaay would be the same as it was for Cooper.

Some claimed hers was denied because UT directly opposed it for being within the conference. Never heard if that was true or not.

Sounds reasonable to me. Constant transfers
make for a ball of confusion. An old song from the Temptations.

myQYmbX.gif

I'm the cat.

One non-relate statistic is that about 50% of marriages result in divorce and the statistic is higher for those who are married before 20. Another interesting statistic is that the brain is not fully developed before age 22-23.

I can easily imagine that the 'highs" of being recruited could make - making the best decision for the next 5 years most difficult. the interview by new recruit Green includes she heard from nearly 100 universities.

WTBS, I basically agree with him on this issue of transfers. In most cases, I don't have a lot of sympathy for transfers -- specifically those who transfer to another conference school -- and don't like the idea of the NCAA making things easier for them, TBQH. If you want to transfer, fine, but you should have to deal with the consequences of doing so. Outside of graduate transfers, they should have to sit out a year, even in the case of a coaching change, unless it's special circumstances like death/illness of a family member or other hardship cases. Obviously those are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. (IOW it should remain as it always has.)

Reactions: aretha57
WTBS, I basically agree with him on this issue of transfers. In most cases, I don't have a lot of sympathy for transfers -- specifically those who transfer to another conference school -- and don't like the idea of the NCAA making things easier for them, TBQH. If you want to transfer, fine, but you should have to deal with the consequences of doing so. Outside of graduate transfers, they should have to sit out a year, even in the case of a coaching change, unless it's special circumstances like death/illness of a family member or other hardship cases. Obviously those are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. (IOW it should remain as it always has.)
Agree for the most part, except with the coaching change. Recruitment is all about relationships, and if the coach or school decides to sever that player-coach relationship, I think it's unfair to penalize the player if they want to explore their options.

Agree for the most part, except with the coaching change. Recruitment is all about relationships, and if the coach or school decides to sever that player-coach relationship, I think it's unfair to penalize the player if they want to explore their options.
Maybe if schools would guarantee the full four years it would make sense to penalize the player if they want to leave, but athletic scholarships are renewed each season.

Rules Can always be changed to reinsert the penalty. I’d wait to see how bad it gets before going crazy about something that hasn’t happened yet. Transfers have been going up for a while now. It’s just a reflection of this impatient society.

VN Store

Back