Miss State Head Coach

Wrong Nikki.

Starkville is generally considered the worst college city in the SEC. You're on a roll today...
Really, because it is considered one of the best baseball environments period. Draws massive crowds to all major sports, and, you obviously have never been there, or understand term college town, but the community is extremely involved and it is nicely situated for recruiting Memphis, closest sec school, ala, texas, lousiana the 3 of top recruit states, not including mississippi. It has been to bowl games playing in toughest college football games pretty much yr last decade...tn? Has produced coaches that feed of these advantages and gone on? Tn had anyone want a coach of ours when?

Reactions: mcannon1
Really, because it is considered one of the best baseball environments period. Draws massive crowds to all major sports, and, you obviously have never been there, or understand term college town, but the community is extremely involved and it is nicely situated for recruiting Memphis, closest sec school, ala, texas, lousiana the 3 of top recruit states, not including mississippi. It has been to bowl games playing in toughest college football games pretty much yr last decade...tn? Has produced coaches that feed of these advantages and gone on? Tn had anyone want a coach of ours when?

I dated a girl who went to MSU when I was at UT. You are stretching it quite a bit. It can be a fun place if you are into a smaller town atmosphere where the college is the town. Yes, they have good baseball crowds, but they have developed a great program, and that's what you do in April/May when nothing else is going on.

They do not draw massive crowds to all major sports. The capacity at Davis Wade is 61k, and I am guessing they don't totally fill it up unless they are having a great year or playing a top team. I went in 2007 for the UT game and bought a walk-up ticket. MSU was 4-2 before that game, and capacity at that time was 55k.

The Hump seats 10,500. I have been to a game there and went to a couple at the TadPad at Ole Miss. Both are/were small, but the TadPad was even smaller. Sure, MSU isn't the state's only P5 program, so that hurts them.

Also, in football, Donald Gray was probably the last decent recruit out of Memphis that MSU got, and that was in 2013. Ole Miss is closer, and MSU just doesn't recruit against other SEC schools in Memphis in football. They have recruited Memphis in other sports.

It's just different, but I wouldn't call it the best college town or the worst either.

Part of me thinks the best thing that could happen for Tennessee, is for Nikki to knock it out of the park at Miss State and establish herself as a great recruiter... that would make the next coaching search a no-brainer for Phil. It's hard for me to see KJH making it, long term. Am I wrong to be thinking this way?

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Part of me thinks the best thing that could happen for Tennessee, is for Nikki to knock it out of the park at Miss State and establish herself as a great recruiter... that would make the next coaching search a no-brainer for Phil. It's hard for me to see KJH making it, long term. Am I wrong to be thinking this way?
I think it's way too early to write off Kellie. But she could find herself in a situation like Karen Aston where she has good, but not great, results...and Phil is impatient in waiting for Tennessee to rise. I think Nikki will have great success at MSST, and it wouldn't surprise me to see her at Tennessee IF Kellie doesn't start getting some statement wins.

Coach K will eliminate talk of this nature in the next two years.
Once the players she recruits start coming in, much will be revealed

I think it's way too early to write off Kellie. But she could find herself in a situation like Karen Aston where she has good, but not great, results...and Phil is impatient in waiting for Tennessee to rise. I think Nikki will have great success at MSST, and it wouldn't surprise me to see her at Tennessee IF Kellie doesn't start getting some statement wins.

Considering the current situation with the virus, and with athletic department expenses at Tennessee, I'm of a mind that Kellie already had a decent amount of time to work with, and likely has even more now that everyone and their grandmother will be hurting financially. Coaching transitions aren't cheap. She may have good but not great results, but Tennessee might be pinned to the wall in terms of affording another change for a sport that isn't exactly pumping money into the department. I would hope they could make the best decisions in a vacuum, but with everything going on now ... there's going to be a lot of departments who delay action for the sake of budgetary stability.

Actually, considering how much the sport costs, and what the high end coaches run (1-1.5 million), Tennessee's sort of in a better spot than some. At least, that's what it feels like to me as a spectator. I have no insider information on budget. Just seems like right now schools are going to need to make up for a lot of losses with these athletic programs for a few years, and the less that's committed on the books, the better.

Ummmmmm...yep.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

I'm sure that's the plan. Because it didn't work the first two times they tried it, but third time's the charm...

Reactions: glv98

VN Store

Back