Payton Verhulst

Which players do we consider a stud? Is it top 10? The 2021 class is going to have at least 5 open scholarships ... how should we fill them or with whošŸ¤”
I consider any player on the list of recruits that we are recruiting a stud because anyone in the top fifty could be a great player and anyone in the top 100 could be a good player. if you get a player like Puckett number 21 and Key 16 I would consider them great additions.

Fair enough, but, as someone who watched Ionescu in every game that year (and since), I think this comparison is also misleading. For one thing, the assist to turnover ratio difference is imo really striking (and important)--almost 2:1 vs. 1:1--and all the most so since the Oregon team that year was even younger than the one at Tennessee this past season: 3 freshmen (both front court players), a sophomore (a second point guard), and a junior (a wing) started, with mostly freshmen backups and no "veteran" close to the equivalent of a Rennia Davis.

Even more important, Ionescu supplied a degree of leadership and provided the basis for a level of confidence that was crucial to the team's success both in the Pac 12 Tournament (the win over Washington) and, later, in the NCAA (beating both Duke--the number 2 seed in the region--and Maryland--the number 3 seed--as a #10 seed). In short she made everyone better. From my perspective, at least, Horston, whose physical gifts far exceed Ionescu's and whose ceiling seems almost limitless--didn't have anything close to that kind of impact.

Jordan never got the chance to show what she could do in the NCAA.
and 2:1 v 1:1 is still only two total turnover per game
Familiarization with players will most definitely help that.

I charted turnovers and watched several games and saw many instances where a player was going one way and reversed their trail mid-pass, pass bounced off of hands ( there, to's are ALWAYS given to the passer) and other such mishaps.

Jordan can easily knock off two to's, just as Jaz' to's improved drastically, once familiarization to her teammates movements and tendencies become more familiar. Just as they did for Pistol Pete.

Jordan never got the chance to show what she could do in the NCAA.
and 2:1 v 1:1 is still only two total turnover per game
Familiarization with players will most definitely help that.

I charted turnovers and watched several games and saw many instances where a player was going one way and reversed their trail mid-pass, pass bounced off of hands ( there, to's are ALWAYS given to the passer) and other such mishaps.

Jordan can easily knock off two to's, just as Jaz' to's improved drastically, once familiarization to her teammates movements and tendencies become more familiar. Just as they did for Pistol Pete.

I don't want to go back and forth about this, so here's my final response: first, the "familiarization" argument holds for both players, with, if anything, Horston having some sort of advantage based on the fact that the players to whom she was passing were (for the most part) more experienced than the players at Oregon; and, second, and this is really the point I should have let stand by itself: Ionescu's impact as a freshman had as much (probably more) to do with her leadership, intensity, and ability to instill confidence in the team overall as it did with her statistics. I don't think that can be overemphasized, as the years that followed proved. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything even remotely similar regarding Horston and Tennessee in the games I watched this season. I have no doubt that her stats will improve--and probably dramatically--but whether or not she will have the same impact on the players around her that Ionescu had, even as a freshman, is yet to be determined.

Yes, yes, and Horston is better than Ionescu (yesterday it was Holdsclaw I believe) and the turnovers were clearly not her fault.

Another part of the all too predictable delusion is to elevate one chosen player to ridiculous, comic levels and count every word short of that pedestal as vicious personal slander that has said player packing for portal as we type. And the knight hopping aboard the trusty steed!

Oh, and Pat's legacy would never, ever survive without the Knight's gallant efforts!

Self important much?

I'm gonna stop now I swear, its pointless and ultimately sad. As has been pointed out several times, clearly in need of help far beyond this board.

Last edited:
I don't want to go back and forth about this, so here's my final response: first, the "familiarization" argument holds for both players, with, if anything, Horston having some sort of advantage based on the fact that the players to whom she was passing were (for the most part) more experienced than the players at Oregon; and, second, and this is really the point I should have let stand by itself: Ionescu's impact as a freshman had as much (probably more) to do with her leadership, intensity, and ability to instill confidence in the team overall as it did with her statistics. I don't think that can be overemphasized, as the years that followed proved. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything even remotely similar regarding Horston and Tennessee in the games I watched this season. I have no doubt that her stats will improve--and probably dramatically--but whether or not she will have the same impact on the players around her that Ionescu had, even as a freshman, is yet to be determined.

well said

Yes, yes, and Horston is better than Ionescu (yesterday it was Holdsclaw I believe) and the turnovers were clearly not her fault.

Another part of the all too predictable delusion is to elevate one chosen player to ridiculous, comic levels and count every word short of that pedestal as vicious personal slander that has said player packing for portal as we type.

Oh, and Pat's legacy would never, ever survive without the Knight's gallant efforts!

Self important much?

I'm gonna stop now I swear, its pointless and ultimately sad. As has been pointed out several times, clearly in need of help far beyond this board.

Thank you
X60xov.gif

The MVP of the NCAA for last year was a PG (Sabrina Ionescu) who had Freshmen numbers of
14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists, 2.8 turnovers, per game
Jordan Horston's Freshman numbers:
10.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 4.6 turnovers, per game

Add 5 points, 1 rebound,1 assist and drop 2 turnovers a game and she equals the best player in college basketballs Freshman campaign.

I'll take that!
And if a cow had balls, sheā€™d be a bull.

The numbers you are adding are huge, and you left off three point and free throw shooting percentage.

And if a cow had balls, sheā€™d be a bull.

The numbers you are adding are huge, and you left off three point and free throw shooting percentage.

So did Wikepedia:
Freshman season[edit]
As a freshman, she was named the 2017 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year as voted on by league coaches. Her Freshman of the Year honor was the first Oregon Duck since 1999 and is the second Duck to earn the honor all-time. Ionescu recorded four triple-doubles, one shy of the Pac-12 record and two less than the NCAA record. She averaged 14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game, ranking second on the team in scoring and rebounding, and first in assists. She also posted seven double-doubles, ranked third in the Pac-12 and 29th in the NCAA with 183 assists on the year. Her 1.93-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio was second-best in the Pac-12. She was named Pac-12 Freshman of Week four times and was named USBWA National Player of the Week. Additionally, she was awarded the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as the top freshman in the nation.[10]

So did Wikepedia:
Freshman season[edit]
As a freshman, she was named the 2017 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year as voted on by league coaches. Her Freshman of the Year honor was the first Oregon Duck since 1999 and is the second Duck to earn the honor all-time. Ionescu recorded four triple-doubles, one shy of the Pac-12 record and two less than the NCAA record. She averaged 14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game, ranking second on the team in scoring and rebounding, and first in assists. She also posted seven double-doubles, ranked third in the Pac-12 and 29th in the NCAA with 183 assists on the year. Her 1.93-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio was second-best in the Pac-12. She was named Pac-12 Freshman of Week four times and was named USBWA National Player of the Week. Additionally, she was awarded the USBWA National Freshman of the Year as the top freshman in the nation.[10]
Your point?

They are a little more known than I, as authority...if they didn't see need to incorporate it in their verbiage, who am I to correct them
Oh my...really?

They werenā€™t comparing players, you were.

Wow.

However, Iā€™m glad you posted that. Wiki shows what a spectacular freshman year Ionescu had.

Yea that sucks... TN unfortunately had been out of the running after her last cutšŸ˜©
It might be a good thing. I know UConn was at a ton of her high school games while recruiting Aaliyah Edwards and they did not offer her. There may be something there.

The MVP of the NCAA for last year was a PG (Sabrina Ionescu) who had Freshmen numbers of
14.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists, 2.8 turnovers, per game
Jordan Horston's Freshman numbers:
10.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 4.6 turnovers, per game

Add 5 points, 1 rebound,1 assist and drop 2 turnovers a game and she equals the best player in college basketballs Freshman campaign.

I'll take that!
minyon moore was the primary point guard for Oregon

minyon moore was the primary point guard for Oregon

No. For one thing, these are freshman stats and Moore was not on the roster . Maite Cazorla was the "other" point guard during Ionescu's first three years in Eugene. More to the point, Graves typically employs two point guards. Sometimes Ionescu brings the ball up the court, sometimes Cazorla or (last season) Moore does. In general, I think Cazorla had a larger role in the half court offense than Moore, but both ultimately played a secondary role to Ionescu in that regard. So, yes, Ionescu is/has always been primarily a point guard, although she has at times played every other position on the court except the 5.

Reactions: NeedOrange
No. For one thing, these are freshman stats and Moore was not on the roster . Maite Cazorla was the "other" point guard during Ionescu's first three years in Eugene. More to the point, Graves typically employs two point guards. Sometimes Ionescu brings the ball up the court, sometimes Cazorla or (last season) Moore does. In general, I think Cazorla had a larger role in the half court offense than Moore, but both ultimately played a secondary role to Ionescu in that regard. So, yes, Ionescu is/has always been primarily a point guard, although she has at times played every other position on the court except the 5.

I believe he was responding to the post that said this:

ā€The MVP of the NCAA for last year was a PG (Sabrina Ionescu)ā€

However, I agree with everything else you said.

I have total confidence that Jordan Horston will be a tremendously improved player as a sophomore. I am sure the coaches informed her what she needs to work on and she certainly has the work ethic to take a plan they provide and get better. I'm looking to see her shooting from the field go from 39 to about 45 percent and free throw shooting go from 59 to 75. If were totally honest about 40 or so of her turnovers could've been assists if we had a couple players better at catching the ball. I think Horston and Green are going to be a solid duo she looks to be great at catching and Horston is great at delivering.

Doing well Coach J... still practicing social distancing like everyone else. I still visit just don't post often, you know that already though.

Ii understand...sent you a DM on twitter to say hello. Wishing you a good season forthcoming, take care

I have total confidence that Jordan Horston will be a tremendously improved player as a sophomore. I am sure the coaches informed her what she needs to work on and she certainly has the work ethic to take a plan they provide and get better. I'm looking to see her shooting from the field go from 39 to about 45 percent and free throw shooting go from 59 to 75. If were totally honest about 40 or so of her turnovers could've been assists if we had a couple players better at catching the ball. I think Horston and Green are going to be a solid duo she looks to be great at catching and Horston is great at delivering.

I think your expectations will even be exceeded

VN Store

Back