SEC Expansion What If - SDS Article

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
I am completely bored and looking for stuff to occupy my time. I know there have already been like 100 threads on this but why not another one. I just read an interesting take on what teams the SEC might add if they were to expand. Now I do not expect the SEC to expand but it is interesting to speculate just like the article does. After reading this my take would be to invite Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. All proud football schools and a lot of history to boot; it would also expand the footprint of the SEC into 2 more states.

SDS Roundtable: If and when the SEC expands again, which 2 schools should it realistically add?

What teams would you like to see added and what is your rationale for adding them?

Edit: After reading some of your replies, what if no state got more than 1 team. That means Vandy, and Ole Miss or Miss St would have to go. Then the SEC could add 2 more states without adding more games. That would mean a shuffling of the teams from east/west. I realize that the SEC has never kicked anyone out that I know of but there is always a first time for everything.

Last edited:
The most likely schools who would join the SEC are schools who for one reason or another might be looking to leave their current conference. IMO, the only school that truly fits that bill at the moment is West Virginia. Joining the Big 12 was good for them financially, but they are a poor fit in that conference and it likely has hurt their recruiting. If they joined the SEC, they still get the great financial situation combined with a better recruiting fit.

Other names you can throw out (Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida St) would be good fits geographically but don't really have compelling reasons to leave their current conference, especially Clemson and North Carolina. I could see Oklahoma wanting to leave if Texas threatened to blow up the Big 12 again.

V Tech and W. Virginia would jump at the chance to join SEC. Can't see both getting invited, at the same time. Not sure any ACC school would want to come to SEC. BB rivalries are long time ones and Clemson is your only FB contender to deal with. You beat them you can win the league. Why would you trade that for the SEC wars. Probably a big 12 team as the other.

Reactions: savannahfan
For the West, I would bring in Houston. They would add a large Texas market to the SEC and be a rival for both Texas A&M and LSU.

For the East, I would go with a former charter member of the SEC and bring back Georgia Tech. They have never really fit into any other conference they have been in.

Any schools that expand the SEC’s footprint are the only ones worth mentioning in a serious conversation. So throw out P5 school that’s already in our footprint with the exception of Texas, which isn’t realistic anyways . Virginia Tech, NC State, OU, Okie State would all be the best fit from a money and culture combination. The true gem would be a UNC and UVA combination accounting for the DC/Baltimore markets and the Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte markets. However, neither one is a good fit culturally, and they often look down at us for being inferior academically because of their want to be “Public Ivy” persona. Personally I think N.C. State would crawl to Birmingham to be a member of the SEC, but there are so many bylaws it would be hard to get them away from UNC.

UNC isn't going anywhere without NC State
Yes, but N.C. State would be happy to go somewhere without UNC. They are the red headed stepchild of the Raleigh/Durham area and They hate constantly being in Duke and UNC’s shadow. I’m pretty certain they hate UNC more than they like themselves.

Since this is being done purely for $$$$ reasons....

Kick out Vandy and MSU. Replace USC with Clemson.

Add Texas, OU, UNC, and UVA. If UNC or UVA balk, replace them with VA Tech and NC State.

No considerations other than maximizing $$$$ were considered

No expansion needed. Kick Vandy to a group of 5 conference and pick up Virginia Tech

This.

Think about it... Vandy is the red-headed stepchild of the SEC. Basically a southern Ivy League school that demphasizes sports. How is that similar to ANY other SEC school?

Vandy doesn't belong in the SEC.

Since this is being done purely for $$$$ reasons....

Kick out Vandy and MSU. Replace USC with Clemson.

Add Texas, OU, UNC, and UVA. If UNC or UVA balk, replace them with VA Tech and NC State.

No considerations other than maximizing $$$$ were considered
Wow, that would be an outstanding conference.

There are some folks who somehow think other conferences and schools do not have meaningful, historical ties and rivalries. In the past, the UNC v NC State rivalry was bigger than the UNC v Duke rivalry. There was once a tournament between WFU, UNC, Duke, and NCSU in basketball to determine the "state champion". You would be just as likely to get Auburn to leave the SEC as to get any of those to leave the ACC. WFU would currently have the most reason to leave... but they don't help the SEC.

You will never get OU or OSU. Your only shot would be to take both and that would defeat the purpose of taking either- namely to get into the OKC media market. If you are really "looking" and it has to be a current Power 5 program then you have to go after those who have proven they'll move. Va Tech is one. WVU is another. Pitt doesn't fit geographically but they aren't a natural in the ACC either.

There are group of 5 teams that could work. Houston is a big school with a good history in athletics. Cincy could work but UK wouldn't go for it.

If you have to get someone from NC... then your realistic option is App State and accept that it will take years for them to catch up in terms of fan following, other sports, and facilities. They are the best football program in NC.

Reactions: dieseldaddy
IF I were king.....

I would reduce the top tier of college football to 64 teams divided into 4 conferences of 16 teams. Each of those conferences would be divided into 4 divisions of 4 teams or two divisions of 8 teams.

Each conference would have a one or two round playoff to determine its champion. Those champions would go on to play a two round playoff for the NC.

VN Store

Back