Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seems like all the people who were saying the pandemic was a media hysteria event stirred up to sell newspapers have dropped that line of attack (what happened to all the people saying the numbers are made up and this isn't any more serious than the regular flu) and now they are jumping on individual governors not necessarily because of they way don't like the way they've responded, just because you don't like the party they represent. Face it, you guys haven't wanted to deal with reality since the beginning of this crisis. You just want to hate.

I just don't understand that. Thanks to my time in the military I was forced to interact with people of all ethnicities, all religions and all political affiliations. Except in the most extreme cases, I found we all loved America. We may have had different beliefs about how the government should be run and what policies should be advanced, but we loved the country. It made me love America even more because we could legitimately disagree on a number of issues but still come together on the big one.

Life is complex. Maybe that's it, maybe too many people feel overwhelmed and want simplicity or at least simple answers. Maybe they hate change (I'm sorry but the only constant is change.)

No one person or party has all the answers. I make sure every day I read through the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. I want to know what the alternatives are. I see things in both papers that I agree with and disagree with. If you only listen to or read those stories you agree with, then you're leading a narrow uninformed life.

What I know is we are all different in a complex world. I know I attend church but I don't want prayer in the schools (tell me whose prayers we're going to use). I can get tears in my eyes looking at an American flag in a strong wind, but I don't believe you should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I own several guns, probably way more than average but I don't have a problem with background checks or limitations on assault weapons. But I don't hate or denigrate anyone who disagrees with me on those things.

Some of you guys just spew hate at anyone that disagrees with you. Now I admit I have a hard time with people who ignore reality and make up their own facts or who deny legitimate science, but I'm willing to engage and try to state where I'm getting my facts from. Unfortunately there are people who just say that if you disagree with me you're evil.

Where does that get us as a country? There's no doubt that much of this is conflict stirred up by our adversaries in the world. With the rise in the internet there are false flag operations that support and advance positions designed to divide and inflame. Do you really not think an old KGB officer like Putin isn't doing that? But too many of us are willing to take those positions and run with them and say vile and divisive things about a fellow American just because she wants to pay teachers more or he wants to stop abortion, or vice versa.

I love these forums because of the passion of Vol fans for the Big Orange. But the posters that just want to hate and use the language of hate, I can do without you.

Lots of words. Lots of words. Lots of words.

I love these forums because of the passion of Vol fans for the Big Orange. But the posters that just want to hate and use the language of hate, I can do without you.

Would you say you hate them?

BTW, people in this country should say the Pledge of Allegiance with pride. If not, why stay? It's shocking to hear a military person say otherwise. Prayer shouldn't be forced in school, but it should be allowed, even encouraged. And while I don't own a gun, I fully support the right of any responsible citizen to do so.

Remember, some of these people that you're not hating on are just exercising their right to free speech. Stating opinions.

Last edited:
Well it seems like all the people who were saying the pandemic was a media hysteria event stirred up to sell newspapers have dropped that line of attack (what happened to all the people saying the numbers are made up and this isn't any more serious than the regular flu) and now they are jumping on individual governors not necessarily because of they way don't like the way they've responded, just because you don't like the party they represent. Face it, you guys haven't wanted to deal with reality since the beginning of this crisis. You just want to hate.

I just don't understand that. Thanks to my time in the military I was forced to interact with people of all ethnicities, all religions and all political affiliations. Except in the most extreme cases, I found we all loved America. We may have had different beliefs about how the government should be run and what policies should be advanced, but we loved the country. It made me love America even more because we could legitimately disagree on a number of issues but still come together on the big one.

Life is complex. Maybe that's it, maybe too many people feel overwhelmed and want simplicity or at least simple answers. Maybe they hate change (I'm sorry but the only constant is change.)

No one person or party has all the answers. I make sure every day I read through the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. I want to know what the alternatives are. I see things in both papers that I agree with and disagree with. If you only listen to or read those stories you agree with, then you're leading a narrow uninformed life.

What I know is we are all different in a complex world. I know I attend church but I don't want prayer in the schools (tell me whose prayers we're going to use). I can get tears in my eyes looking at an American flag in a strong wind, but I don't believe you should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I own several guns, probably way more than average but I don't have a problem with background checks or limitations on assault weapons. But I don't hate or denigrate anyone who disagrees with me on those things.

Some of you guys just spew hate at anyone that disagrees with you. Now I admit I have a hard time with people who ignore reality and make up their own facts or who deny legitimate science, but I'm willing to engage and try to state where I'm getting my facts from. Unfortunately there are people who just say that if you disagree with me you're evil.

Where does that get us as a country? There's no doubt that much of this is conflict stirred up by our adversaries in the world. With the rise in the internet there are false flag operations that support and advance positions designed to divide and inflame. Do you really not think an old KGB officer like Putin isn't doing that? But too many of us are willing to take those positions and run with them and say vile and divisive things about a fellow American just because she wants to pay teachers more or he wants to stop abortion, or vice versa.

In conclusion, pretend to be inclusive except when they don’t agree with you. Got it.

I’m going to sound like even more of an *******, but reading NYT and WSJ isn’t really getting different perspectives. The rest of the post is just centrist nonsense where “unity” is the most important thing. That’s why we have uniparty red and uniparty blue. People are so unsatisfied with government because the scale it has reached only produces policy paradoxes carried out in half-measure. Focus on local stuff.

Mods you have 2 minutes.

Reactions: StoVol
I’m going to sound like even more of an *******, but reading NYT and WSJ isn’t really getting different perspectives. The rest of the post is just centrist nonsense where “unity” is the most important thing. That’s why we have uniparty red and uniparty blue. People are so unsatisfied with government because the scale it has reached only produces policy paradoxes carried out in half-measure. Focus on local stuff.

Mods you have 2 minutes.
Is this where the term unitards came from?

I just hate a wildcat trashing a Volunteer. Gonna jump that azz every time. Nothing serious about it. Oh, but I do hate most politicians regardless. A few are ok but most nationally, not so much especially those who have been in there awhile.

It Isn’t significantly wrong.
We don’t know that though. We can only guess. It could be wrong anywhere from a quarter of that amount to a tenth of that amount. As with all of this stuff, the safe hypothesis is somewhere in the middle.

People with mild to moderate symptoms will refuse to get tested or even seek medical advice because of (1) they don’t like going to the doctor anyway, (2) they don’t want to be found positive and have a stigma about them, and/or (3) they pass it off as allergies or a cold. There’s enough of those people out there that it very likely makes a significant difference.

We don’t know that though. We can only guess. It could be wrong anywhere from a quarter of that amount to a tenth of that amount. As with all of this stuff, the safe hypothesis is somewhere in the middle.

People with mild to moderate symptoms will refuse to get tested or even seek medical advice because of (1) they don’t like going to the doctor anyway, (2) they don’t want to be found positive and have a stigma about them, and/or (3) they pass it off as allergies or a cold. There’s enough of those people out there that it very likely makes a significant difference.
It should be a simple decision as to whether to get tested. You can have the sniffles or a cough don't worry about it unless you have a fever.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Why is May 1st the cutoff?
just an opinion. It may should be earlier. Just think with bailouts and spending and unemployment combos, it will make the economy so bad, we will have such big issues that even the most ardent fans won’t care. It’s not just about money but about a way of life. 30 percent unemployment is not sustainable in my opinion. Mortgage Servicing companies are about to go bankrupt if the government doesn’t step in. Lending for government mortgages is in more peril than 2008. Lenders are bleeding with no liquidity. It’s more complicated than people think. Hud can’t expect full payment by the servicing companies when not allowing foreclosures. This is just one part of the economy but a shutdown past May will bring harm like we have not seen. May happen anyway.

Good post. But a little friendly advice, stay away from the politics forum. The behavior you described is a constant there.

Started my second novel this week, open question for the fiction readers out there...do you enjoy novels that are chronological or ones that reveal the past in pieces as you move through the main plot?

Both. All depends on the execution....have read poorly executed novels that attempt timeline hopping and get confusing AF.

If I'm halfway through a chapter, have no clue where I'm at in chronological order and wondering if I accidentally skipped a chapter then it was poorly done...when done well it definitely enhances the story for me.

It should be a simple decision as to whether to get tested. You can have the sniffles or a cough don't worry about it unless you have a fever.

Even if they are sure that you have it you may not get tested. My niece has it and she was told by the doctor that he was sure she had it but they were only testing health care professionals and "jailers" (his words). She was sent home to self quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back